The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Capital Punishment / The Death Penalty

Capital Punishment/Death Penalty  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

- Adultery (Leviticus 20:10)

- Blasphemy (Leviticus 24:16)

- Breaking the Sabbath (Exodus 31:14 & 15)

- Disobedient children (Exodus 21:15 & 17; Leviticus 20:9)

- Homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13)

- Not being a virgin on your wedding night (but only if you're a woman - Deuteronomy 22:13-22)

Those were rules for the Jewish people in that era. In the New Testament it is explicit that those rules aren't applied anymore.

Those were rules for the Jewish people in that era. In the New Testament it is explicit that those rules aren't applied anymore.

Correct, but my point is that in the New Testament there's verses that are anti-vengeance (what the death penalty amounts to) regardless of the crime.

Edited by Bagel of Death

What I heard it's more expensive to hold a prisoner in death cell than for life, since one who are getting the death sentence often adjourn their vertict for a long time and there be expense for lawyers and judges.

I am against the death penalty. I think they eye for an eye thing don't work. Better to help those who show signs of problem in a early age. A school and society who has the possibility to care for those kids who has a troubled life - since I guess they are those who likely grow up to become heavy criminals.

And if it's someone with mental problems - which I also assume most of those who kill people have - they should be able to get the help they need.

In the UK we dont have it but i believe it should be brought back.

Punishments are not strict enough, people know they can commit murder and a few years later be let out and roam free again.

Also isnt nitrogen a form of penalty, they make criminals laugh to death?

In the UK we dont have it but i believe it should be brought back.

Punishments are not strict enough, people know they can commit murder and a few years later be let out and roam free again.

Also isnt nitrogen a form of penalty, they make criminals laugh to death?

i have to disagree with the death penalty being brought back, there is no clear way forward by killing someone, you're just sinking to their level

i defo agree on that, punishments arent strict enough, a life sentence is 28 years, life sentence should mean that the only way you leave prison is on your deathbed.

i have to disagree with the death penalty being brought back, there is no clear way forward by killing someone, you're just sinking to their level

Here's a question for you: What if a person killed your family and you are 100% sure of the person who did it? Would you rather him pay the price your family did, or let him live in prison and possibly even get out of prison later in his life?

I've never heard of nitrogen as a form of penalty. The other two forms of death penalties that I've heard of besides the electric chair is a firing squad and a lethal injection.

Here's an article I came across, closest to nitrogen death penalty:

He discovered that nitrogen could do the job in about 15 seconds, and the prisoner would not feel pain - on the contrary he would feel euphoric, like being drunk.

BBC News

Here's a question for you: What if a person killed your family and you are 100% sure of the person who did it? Would you rather him pay the price your family did, or let him live in prison and possibly even get out of prison later in his life?

It's a very tough question and I wouldn't dare imagine it, but I'm anti-death penalty and it doesn't change my mind about the death penalty as public policy. Ultimately, the most peace after a horrible crime is when one can come to the point of forgiving. If someone feels that another should be killed, they are harboring anger which will continue to eat at them even after the person dies. =/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm against it. I think it's too easy to push it out of our minds and let some faceless executioner carry out our vengeance but most of us couldn't really stomach killing another. Also I'm a bolshy git and want to limit the powers of the state as much as possible because I have literally no faith in the government or police.

• 11 years later...
  • 4 months later...

First, lower hihj blood pressure in the name of pacifying the chaos, fully mobilize the duchy and the province of Recto, and then collect as much armor tax what foods will immediately lower blood pressure and spear tax as you can, He snorted coldly, and managed to suppress the bloodthirsty furosemide most common side effects desire to kill that appeared inexplicably in his heart lasix iv push

• 2 weeks later...