The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud

OS X Lion

Features

Resume

Now apps you close will reopen right where you left off, so you never have to start from scratch again. And when you install software updates, you no longer need to save your work, close your apps, and spend valuable time setting everything up again. With Resume, you can restart your Mac and return to what you were doing — with all your apps in the exact places you left them.

Full-Screen Apps

OS X Lion offers systemwide support for gorgeous, full-screen apps that use every inch of your Mac display. You can have multiple full-screen apps open at once — along with multiple standard-size apps. And it’s easy to switch between full-screen and desktop views.

New Multi-Touch Gestures

Mission Control

Autosave and Versions

Launchpad

Priced at $29.99 and only available on the Mac App Store. Available July

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aaduuWTvo

--------------------

iOS 5

Features

Notification Center

You get all kinds of notifications on your iOS device: new email, texts, friend requests, and more. With Notification Center, you can keep track of them all in one convenient location. Just swipe down from the top of any screen to enter Notification Center. Choose which notifications you want to see. Even see a stock ticker and the current weather. New notifications appear briefly at the top of your screen, without interrupting what you’re doing. And the Lock screen displays notifications so you can act on them with just a swipe. Notification Center is the best way to stay on top of your life’s breaking news.

Twitter

iOS 5 makes it even easier to tweet from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Sign in once in Settings, and suddenly you can tweet directly from Safari, Photos, Camera, YouTube, or Maps. Want to mention or @reply to a friend? Contacts applies your friends’ Twitter usernames and profile pictures. So you can start typing a name and iOS 5 does the rest. You can even add a location to any tweet, no matter which app you’re tweeting from.

New camera abilities (Press + to take photo)

Never forget again! A To-Do list Application

A custom newsstand for all your magazine and newspaper subscriptions. Also, automatic updates when a new version is available

Always keep in touch with the free messaging application iMessage throughout ALL iOS devices

New photo enhancement features built in (crop, rotate, red eye reduction, etc)

Safari enhancements (tabbed browsing, reader, etc)

PC free (no need to set up your iOS device using a computer. Automatic set up via wireless

Available Fall 2011 as a free download

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJIef-e-7g

---------------------

iCloud

Features

iTunes in the Cloud

With iCloud, the music you purchase in iTunes appears automatically on all your devices. You can also download your past iTunes purchases. Where you want, when you want.

Photo Stream

With iCloud, when you take a photo on one device, it automatically appears on all your other devices. No syncing. No sending. Your photos are just there. Everywhere you want them.

Documents in the Cloud

If you have the same app on more than one device, iCloud can automatically keep your documents up to date across all your devices. So you don't have to.

Apps, Books, and Backup

iCloud makes sure all your devices have the same apps. And books. iCloud also backs up your information. So if something happens, it can help save the day.

Contacts, Calendar, and Mail

iCloud stores your email, calendars, and contacts and automatically pushes them to all your devices. So you can switch from one device to another and still go about business as usual.

Available for free alongside iOS 5 in the Fall

Your thoughts?

Edited by ckravitz

I am so frustrated with this update!!!! Kneed to update my laptop so badly but now in order to lion I need to first buy the one that cam before it which costs $100 something dollars then i have to buy lion. It's so stupid!!!! It makes me so angry. The guys at the Mac store near me said they are trying to figure out a way to get lion directly but idk. It's so annoying. And I have to update my computer for school!!!

I am so frustrated with this update!!!! Kneed to update my laptop so badly but now in order to lion I need to first buy the one that cam before it which costs $100 something dollars then i have to buy lion. It's so stupid!!!! It makes me so angry. The guys at the Mac store near me said they are trying to figure out a way to get lion directly but idk. It's so annoying. And I have to update my computer for school!!!

Once Lion is out, Snow Leopard DVDs will still be available in stores due to the same reason that you're having. There will probably be a price decrease on it, but if you are planning on a upgrade for your computer in the future, wait and get it with Lion preinstalled. May I recommend the MacBook Air, which is more than likely to be refreshed with the new Intel "Sandy Bridge" processors once the new OS debuts.

Once Lion is out, Snow Leopard DVDs will still be available in stores due to the same reason that you're having. There will probably be a price decrease on it, but if you are planning on a upgrade for your computer in the future, wait and get it with Lion preinstalled. May I recommend the MacBook Air, which is more than likely to be refreshed with the new Intel "Sandy Bridge" processors once the new OS debuts.

I hope there is a price decrease!!! I don't want to pay $100 just to pay another $30 lol. I really hope they do figure something out because my computer drastically needs a software update!! I don't think I am going to get a new computer anytime soon, but thanks for the information!!! My MacBook is in good shape just needs a new battery and new software, but otherwise it's great!!! That's why I love apple so much! I never once had an issue with it! Plus, I have an iPad so I use that most of the time anyways. Just for school I am going to need my actuall computer. But thanks for all the info!!

I hope there is a price decrease!!! I don't want to pay $100 just to pay another $30 lol. I really hope they do figure something out because my computer drastically needs a software update!! I don't think I am going to get a new computer anytime soon, but thanks for the information!!! My MacBook is in good shape just needs a new battery and new software, but otherwise it's great!!! That's why I love apple so much! I never once had an issue with it! Plus, I have an iPad so I use that most of the time anyways. Just for school I am going to need my actuall computer. But thanks for all the info!!

I use my iPad for school. For now, at least, I recommend downloading this app. I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of notes on there, as well as drawn pictures and diagrams (all the features are on the website). The developer is also very good with updates, and has promised a completely revised text editor. Anyway, until you get a new computer, this app will get you where you need to go ^_^

I use my iPad for school. For now, at least, I recommend downloading this app. I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of notes on there, as well as drawn pictures and diagrams (all the features are on the website). The developer is also very good with updates, and has promised a completely revised text editor. Anyway, until you get a new computer, this app will get you where you need to go ^_^

Wowow wowow!!!! That app is amazing!!! Thanks for all the information!!! I have a few different apps that do a lot of that stuff, but this puts like 5 of my apps in one!!! Woohoo!!

Wowow wowow!!!! That app is amazing!!! Thanks for all the information!!! I have a few different apps that do a lot of that stuff, but this puts like 5 of my apps in one!!! Woohoo!!

No problem, always happy to help ^_^

• 2 weeks later...