The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Deathly Hallows Part 2 Score

So, I'm curious to know how people felt about the final Score for the movie composed by the master himself, Alexandre Desplat.

As we all know, the music truly sets the mood for a film and Harry Potter is a wonderful example of doing exactly that. John Williams set a very high bar and honestly, Desplat has been the only composer since (at least to me) that I feel has really met that bar, with Nicholas Hooper close behind him for 'Half Blood Prince.' I'm grateful that they used previous themes in this one too from Williams and Hooper.

For myself, I was very happy with it. My favorites have got to be:

, and

The singular haunting voice in Lily's Theme gives me chills.

So come and share how you feel about it.

So, I'm curious to know how people felt about the final Score for the movie composed by the master himself, Alexandre Desplat.

As we all know, the music truly sets the mood for a film and Harry Potter is a wonderful example of doing exactly that. John Williams set a very high bar and honestly, Desplat has been the only composer since (at least to me) that I feel has really met that bar, with Nicholas Hooper close behind him for 'Half Blood Prince.' I'm grateful that they used previous themes in this one too from Williams and Hooper.

For myself, I was very happy with it. My favorites have got to be:

, and

The singular haunting voice in Lily's Theme gives me chills.

So come and share how you feel about it.

I think that this is an excellent topic. I like the new score although I do not think that any of the Harry Potter scores is better than the one for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which was composed by Nicholas Hooper and featured many notable pieces such as Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix, The Ministry Of Music, The Room Of Requirement, Fireworks or my personal favourite Dumbledore's Army, which sounds very well played by a solo piano. Alexandre Desplat, whose scores for The King's Speech or The Queen I liked as well, has done a good job on this film, but it is not one of those scores I could listen to for long during free time. It is good as background music, but features only few dynamic compositions with distinctive melody. The ones particularly to my liking are currently Statues (the scene was epic, was it not?) and Courtyard Apocalypse, but I got the CD only yesterday and did not have enough time to listen through all of the tracks properly.

Edited by William Cavendish

Like the others said, Lily's Theme is just magnificent. I haven't listened to the whole soundtrack properly yet, only at the cinemas but every song fitted so well. I also love John Williams,

song makes me so nostalgic! A Window to the Past from Prisoner of Azkaban does too. Some incredible music right there. Not to mention the HBP and DH1 soundtracks, my favourites from those are Malfoy's Mission, Into The Rushes, Harry & Hermione, The Friends, Ron Leaves, Obliviate... So many :ph34r:

Alexander Desplat was amazing!!!! I love the soundtrack, I'm glad he did it for part 1 and part 2. My favs are Ron's speech and Lilly's theme.

I think that this is an excellent topic. I like the new score although I do not think that any of the Harry Potter scores is better than the one for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which was composed by Nicholas Hooper and featured many notable pieces such as Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix, The Ministry Of Music, The Room Of Requirement, Fireworks or my personal favourite Dumbledore's Army, which sounds very well played by a solo piano. Alexandre Desplat, whose scores for The King's Speech or The Queen I liked as well, has done a good job on this film, but it is not one of those scores I could listen to for long during free time. It is good as background music, but features only few dynamic compositions with distinctive melody. The ones particularly to my liking are currently Statues (the scene was epic, was it not?) and Courtyard Apocalypse, but I got the CD only yesterday and did not have enough time to listen through all of the tracks properly.

Agreed about the Score for Part 2. I cannot listen to it for a long period, mainly due to the fact that it is definitely meant for background music during the various fight scenes within the movie.

Half Blood Prince and Order of the Phoenix both have excellent pieces that are quite memorable. It was nice to hear Dumbledore's Farewell during the pensieve scene in this movie, just a snippet of a past theme for me helps tie it all together. Of course, having 'Leaving Hogwarts' during the Epilogue was just the icing on the cake.

A friend of mine and I were talking and we both believe that if John Williams had come back for the last films, his music would not have had the correct feel or mood that was needed. Yes, he has done a range of music and movies and is one of the most well-known and popular composers of the 21st century. And though we would have heard familiar themes, his music fit the style of Chris Columbus rather perfectly and was easily carried over into 'Azkaban,' but even when listening to the 3rd movie's score it's lacking something. And I wonder if that's partly why they changed composers, even though they claimed it was for other reasons.

Doyle's soundtrack was alright. There were not any themes that really stood out (I do like his 'Sense and Sensibility' soundtrack though and just recently saw 'Thor' and he did a good job with that.) When Hooper came in, I was not familiar with him but he definitely impressed me with Order and Half-Blood. Both are Score's I enjoy listening to as a whole.

I also love John Williams, this song makes me so nostalgic! A Window to the Past from Prisoner of Azkaban does too.

Fawkes is Reborn is one of my favorites from COS. Thank you for that! And Window to the Past is the most memorable theme from POA and really the only one if I think about it hard enough. My favorite all time piece from any of the composers or movies is and will always be Harry's Wondrous World.

Edited by remedysweet

I keep re-listening to Lily's Theme on my Ipod with my Skullcandy headphones. (for better effect) and I keep nearly crying because I picture the first few moments of Harry Potter when it shows Snape and the look on his face as the students are marching in by death eaters! <3

I LOVE the part 2 score. It set the tone for the movie perfectly as being very different from the previous ones but at the same time bringing back a few old themes for nostalgia. I adored the re-use of John William's original theme for the ending. It couldn't have been any other way, really.

Love this topic, since when I saw the movie yesterday I whispered to my friend: "wow, the music is awesome." It is. It has always been, but it never stroke me more than it did yesterday. The music is so beautiful, it's haunting, it's dark and it's the perfect music to tell the story of the last book in which the final confrontation eventually has to take place.

By the way, I also loved the music played when they're casting the spells to protect the castle...ah, I believe it's "Statues" I mean :).

Edited by Bright_Star