The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma to be in a Beauty and the Best adaptation?

Which might be what she's thinking, so when the project presented itself she thought "why not." She said after HP she wanted to avoid fantasy and franchises... but that was four years ago. And she did try new things. And now maybe she found she likes fantasy and wouldn't mind doing a franchise. That's cool.

She seems to have changed her mind, yes, although not overnight. I thought she doesn't want to be typecast in general, but it seems she has no problems being a household name in the fantasy genre, if not in period drama. Maybe she likes playing empowered witches more than subdued housewifes in corsets with suppressed yearnings. ô.ô
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If her character is unique enough to be a departure from HP, then I don't see how it would be typecasting.

You don't typecast someone based on the genre, you typecast them based on their character or personality.

If her character is unique enough to be a departure from HP, then I don't see how it would be typecasting.

I doubt that Hermione, Ila and the Tearling character are vastly different. There are only so many variations on the "young woman with mystical powers" theme.
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1710026/guillermo-del-toro-emma-watson-beauty-beast.jhtml

The upcoming project of del Toro's that is sure to grab a lot of attention is his retelling of "Beauty and the Beast," which currently has Emma Watson attached to it. The director said that she is, in fact, still involved and that they're close to casting a monstrous co-star for her. " 'Beauty and the Beast,' we're waiting to close on the Beast. We are weeks away from getting who plays the Beast," del Toro said. "We're talking to the makeup effects guys who are going to render the Beast. We're going to do a solid, fantastic makeup job. We're going to fuse digital and makeup in a way that I think is quite cutting edge."

I'm sure it'll be nice to look at and everything, but what I'm interested in is its undertones. You can't get away doing a fable like B&B without substituting your own philosophical take on the issues it raises.

I can just barely remember my mom used to read me the story of B&B for the first time from a magazine that appeared like monthly, that had fables and stories for children in it. I think Beast was basically just a human with a lion's head, but still the story got to me.

I am confident in his ability to deliver what I'm looking for. That's why I'm interested rather than skeptic.

One thing that makes me hopeful is Emma's comment that Beast will be really 'scary', which I take to mean among other things that it won't be a ruggedly handsome man-wolf with over-accentuated sideburns and the slipping self-restraint of a hormone-fuelled teenager.

Also as an aside it's interesting he mentions the darker connotations of HP, I also feel that this was missing from the movies as I mentioned in another topic.

Btw, his pronounciation has come a long way. Good on his actors trying to please him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With Beauty and the Beast is more complicated you see two version of live action movie are in motion one staring Emma Watson ( Warner Bros production ) ant the other is with Kristen Steward ( Disney Production) Both have some delays. 

Disney "Beauty and the Beast" is directing by Bill Condon is now on status SCRIPT. Disney working on script.

Warner Bros "Beauty" is on status SCRIPT. They searching person how direct the movie.

Guillermo Del Toro stay only like Producer.