The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Borders is closing!!!! Ah I just found out!!! Why doesn't anyone read anymore???? This is the second bookstore franchise to shut all it stores down!!!! This is awful!

Here is a list of all the locations that are closing... It gets updated!

My link

That's unfortunate, although I think it's less about people not reading and more about people reading through different means. If it's cheaper to buy e-books then people won't buy the physical book. Similar situation for Blockbuster, however, I think they're currently in a better situation than Borders.

Maybe, but statistics show that people do not read much anymore. It really isn't popular at all anymore. Also, not all e-book are cheaper!!!! I actually find that many are more expensive!

There are a few factors in Borders demise. People do read less. E-books are becoming more popular. But I think where Borders shot themselves in the foot was when they stopped selling online through Amazon and tried to compete with them.

With them gone, there's just Barnes and Noble left anywhere near me. Borders and B&N killed off all the smaller bookstores years ago.

There are a few factors in Borders demise. People do read less. E-books are becoming more popular. But I think where Borders shot themselves in the foot was when they stopped selling online through Amazon and tried to compete with them.

With them gone, there's just Barnes and Noble left anywhere near me. Borders and B&N killed off all the smaller bookstores years ago.

I agree!!

We still have some small bookstores around! The only one I care about is half priced books lol. I hope they last!!! Otherwise I will just buy books from amazon! But there is something so special about bookstores you know?

This isn't very surprising. Borders has been having financial trouble for the last five years or so and for like the last two years they've been trying to find someone to buy them out. It looks like they couldn't find a buyer and so they are being liquidated O.O. I've always been more inclined towards B&N but Borders was nice too. I generally hate when any book store closes.

Bookstores in general are in trouble at the moment, people do read less, and with the rise of devices like the kindle, many people are buying ebooks (or pirating them, but that is a whole different discussion), or using library or second hand bookshops more, especially as many books are written now to be read once and then moved on from, rather than to be kept and cherished, this problem is then further exacerbated by what many perceive to be high prices for new books (virtually all bookstores sell at the RRP) and the high availability of competing (and often cheap/free) media, such as TV and music.

It is a shame to hear of a book chain going bust, but at the end of the day, book retailers need to find something new and compelling to attract buisnes, and make the experience worth the extra cost/hassle of a real store than online sales, like some stores in the UK have coffee shops on the premises and have book clubs etc..

Borders stores have coffee shops, book clubs and events, free wifi. It didn't save them.

Libraries are in trouble too. With readership down, branches close. Those that remain open can't buy many books, because with the poor economy their budgets have been slashed.

This is nothing new, it happened last year.

Sad, though. My favorite location of Borders is closing, or has already closed. There's another one near me, but not as near...so I'm kind of bummed that it ended up closing.

The truth is that plenty of people read, but more are going to the library and less are buying books. This is because of the recession. It's not that fewer people are reading - my library is always jam packed - but it's that fewer people are buying books.

I feel sorry for all the store clerks now out of work, not to mention the people who worked in the warehouses. One Borders megastore closed down in my town too, I was a bit surprised at that because I didn't know Borders was bankrupt.

That's really unfortunate. I always liked Borders.

Borders stores have coffee shops, book clubs and events, free wifi. It didn't save them.

haha that's what I always liked most about them.

Edited by I am Not Purple

I feel sorry for all the store clerks now out of work, not to mention the people who worked in the warehouses. One Borders megastore closed down in my town too, I was a bit surprised at that because I didn't know Borders was bankrupt.

Thats the worst part!!!! Nother franchise closed down here, JosephBeth, and they did nothing for all the workers!!!! Hundreds were just put of jobs with no where to go. It was so sad. Before they closed they had this crazy huge sale. Like, they were selling bookshelves.... Everything!!!! The workers were telling us how bad it was for them!

The same is going go be for borders.

Yeah borders went under in the Uk about a year and half ago. It sucks because i loved borders. However their stores were the problem, they caused it all on their own. They had far too much stock and not enough of it was selling to cover overheads. Plus they always had a coffee shop inside their shop, which meant people would go to the costa or starbucks that was inside it and walk past all the books and wouldnt buy anything.

Factors like ebooks,internet shopping and used books are becoming the new thing now. However i am one of them girls who like to go into book stores and spend hours inside choosing what i need.

God forbid waterstones goes under because if that does i really don't know what i would do lol

God forbid waterstones goes under because if that does i really don't know what i would do lol

I hate to say it, but Waterstones are in trouble too, until recently they were owned by HMV, who are struggling to compete with online sales/piracy, although they are now under new ownership, so there is a chance they will pull through

I hate to say it, but Waterstones are in trouble too, until recently they were owned by HMV, who are struggling to compete with online sales/piracy, although they are now under new ownership, so there is a chance they will pull through

oh god lol that would be truly terrible. I know HMV are in a spot of trouble too, so basically everything I love will probably go under.