The Emma-Watson.net Forum

As you all know, Dumbledore was portrayed by two different actors in the movie series of Harry Potter:

Richard Harris:

and

Michael Gambon:

Whom of both excellent actors do you prefer? I think they're both amazing. I've heard many people think Harris was better because they find Gambon too rough and "excited" in a way...which I believe is more a matter of the interpretation of the character though. However, I agreed with them that I had a calm person in mind when picturing Dumbledore, and Harris was more calm than Gambon. The latter grew more to how I had pictured Dumbledore. You may say it's not fair to compare them, since Gambon was in six HP movies and Harris only in 2 and you might be right, for they both are terrific Dumbledore's. But still, I was curious to hear your opinion :).

Gambon was a good Dumbledore, but Harris WAS Dumbledore. He had the right look, the right demeanor, the right everything. Gambon was good but there were times like in GOF when he rushes at Harry and screams "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE HARRY?!?!!?!?" that seemed very undumbledorish, Dumbledore was too laid back and at peace to rush at Harry like that. It's small things like that that make me prefer Harris over Gambon.

Having said that I enjoyed both performances and am happy with the results.

Gambon was good but there were times like in GOF when he rushes at Harry and screams "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE HARRY?!?!!?!?" that seemed very undumbledorish, Dumbledore was too laid back and at peace to rush at Harry like that.

Exactly. I did not like that scene, but just as Bright_Star said, I do not think that the decision to alternate the behavior was his. I remember the scene from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, when he decided to taste Harry's Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and unfortunately picked an earwax-flavoured one—that was Professor Dumbledore. However, I do not think it was Mike Newell either—probably a violent screenwriter. I like both Richard Harris' and Sir Michael Gambon's acting, but did not analyse the films to an extent allowing me to consider one of them superior.

I think Harris was the better Dumbeldore.He was just like J.K Rowling described him.But I think he couldn´t do battles against Voldemort like in the order of pheonix.But I think Gambon is great,too.They are both brilliant.

Edited by Moritz

Gambon was a good Dumbledore, but Harris WAS Dumbledore. He had the right look, the right demeanor, the right everything. Gambon was good but there were times like in GOF when he rushes at Harry and screams "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE HARRY?!?!!?!?" that seemed very undumbledorish, Dumbledore was too laid back and at peace to rush at Harry like that. It's small things like that that make me prefer Harris over Gambon.

Having said that I enjoyed both performances and am happy with the results.

i completely agree!!

harris was dumbledore, that's exactly how i saw him when i read the book. so calm

i could never imagine harris acting like gambon in GoF

but gambon has certainly grown on me :)

I love Richard Harris, he was the best Dumbledore ever. Obviously, Michael Gambon is great and I really appreciate his performance, but he's a little bit too rough. Harris was like a grandfather, really calm, but also wise and trustworthy. I'm not sure if I describe him well, but surely he created Dumbledore's character closer to my expectation. I'm really curious how he would cope with the other HP movies, battle scenes, etc...

But it doesn't change the fact that Michale Gambon is great. He seems to be really strong and assertive Dumbledore, which is interesting interpreation :)

i think Harris would've given a majestic battle type performance in the later films if he would've lived.

i think he could've shown alot of power but in little ways. like in PS/SS when he was like "SILENCE!" he had alot of force and he didn't need to get all crazy about it like Gambon does.

i unno. i think Harris would've done well and it would've been cool to see him actually use magic.

My opinion is that Gambon was the best Dumbledore. He acted more like "a Dumbledore" and a wizard. Can't see Harris in the front of me duelling Voldemort in the 5 book/movie.

I agree with this.

Harris was good at playing the drama aspects of the first two films, but he wouldn't have been good at doing the action bits.

Gambon alone was one of the shining parts of the last three films. Maybe the last four films. He was really good in Order Of The Phoenix, too.

I agree with this.

Harris was good at playing the drama aspects of the first two films, but he wouldn't have been good at doing the action bits.

Gambon alone was one of the shining parts of the last three films. Maybe the last four films. He was really good in Order Of The Phoenix, too.

^ This.

Yeah but honestly Dumbledore only had one major action scene throughout the entire set of movies which was in OOTP at the end. I think Harris would have been able to do what Gambon did. There are quick movements in some of the others movies but nothing really crazy that Harris couldn't do. He was pretty spry for a 72 year old up until the end.

its strange...when i started watching harry potter, with Richard Harris as dumbledore, i LOVED him. i had this kind of respect and fear for him at the same time...the thing is..Harris, was perfect for the "beginning" part of Dumbledore, to get this respect for him, and never truly knowing whats in his head...i honestly pictures him like this powerful "god" like figure, that doesnt do ANYTHING wrong...

When Gambon stared in POA, i was sooo dissapointed, because i broke that image of "perfect powerful wizard"... but honestly, now, that we all know, what Dumbledore was capablie of, how he was in this quest to find power...become the master of death and all...it makes him more 'human' :rolleyes: ...more vulnerable, and with this, Gambon was in the end..better, i think. :blush:

Edited by hpgeekforever

I love how there seem to be some truly deadpan lines for Dumbledore in the later movies. Like in HBP when he puts the Muggle house where Slughorn has been hiding back into order, he ends it with: "That was fun" and then "Do you mind if I use the loo?" Makes me laugh every time I hear it xD.

Harris is EXACTLY how I pictured Dumbledore to look like and like said before, he WAS Dumbledore. Saying that though, Gambon did the best of his ability to play his character and he was fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Richard Harris, the Dumbledore in the first two movies died. Michael Gambon was the Dumbledore in the rest of the movies.