The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Public Breasfeeding  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you fellas think about women breastfeeding in public?

This thought came to me when I was having lunch with my brothers and another customer was breastfeeding her child. She was sitting next to us so it was pretty obvious to not ignore :P. However, she did so discreetly as she placed the blanket over her breast/child's face.

One of my brother's threw a tantrum (sorta :rolleye:) and claimed that she should breastfeed in the bathroom or as soon as she got home. Clearly, he wanted to think of the woman's breast as something other than baby food, and that, frankly, upset me. =/

It depends, if the person is covered up then I dont care. Like, they have these things called hooter hiders and other cover ups. So thats totally fine!

But, I have also seen women just whip it out and go. Which grosses me out. Cover up!

I think it completely natural, and there are plenty of ways to cover up. Personally I've never seen someone completely whip out their boobs, but if I did then yeah that wouldn't be fair on other people.

However I think some people are just rude, I breastfed my son and used to do it in public, I remember a couple of times telling my mum that people gave me funny looks and she always assumed I didn't cover up properly (which I did) so once while I was out with her and he needed feeding she grabbed his big blanket and put it over us, you could literally see my head poking out of it and his feet, then my knees at the bottom. A lady sat across from us spent the whole time giving me dirty looks.

I've also been with people when they have been asked to sit in the toilet and do it. Which is absolutely disgusting, would you eat your food in the toilet? why should a baby. Also when a baby needs feeding it needs feeding, if you tell a baby it has to wait until it gets home it wont understand.

To be honest though I just don't think women can win, us who breastfeed get slaughtered for doing so as apparently its 'dirty' in some peoples warped minds, those who feed their baby formula get slaughtered by people who think they have the right to tell them whats best for their child. At the end of the day its the mothers choice and as long as they don't throw whatever it is their doing in your face then who cares.

^ I agree. I mean common. Breastfeeding is natural. That why women has breasts: So that we can feed our babies when they are hungry!

But I'm not surpriced that people are reacting. Boops are being sold as a sex symbol.If you just cover rup it shouldn't be anybody problem or THEY can go and sit and eat at the toilet!

I think it's natural to breastfeed your child. I'm all for people doing it, I wouldn't do it myself though. I also don't think it's right to do it in public.

So I'm half and half on this. Fair enough it's a beautiful but exposing your body parts in public is disgusting. Even if you have a towel over yourself. At someones house, but not at a restraunt or a park or something.

Where I live I have never in all my 18 and a half years seen it in public. But it's their choice I suppose. :)

Edited by Hermione

I'm ok with it, I've seen this happen on a few occasions, it's natural, and its simply a mother providing care for her loved on. When I used to work in a Aquarium, I had a mother come up to me and ask if it was ok to breastfeed in the cafe. I wasn't too sure, but being good old me, I simply asked the managers, they said yes, but if they felt more comfortable using an empty room in the office, they were free to do so.

She decided to use the office option as a customer or two gave her dirty looks, followed by my "wtf" experession to them while the mother went on to the office. Got good feedback from the mother for good customer service for that :)

It depends, if the person is covered up then I dont care. Like, they have these things called hooter hiders and other cover ups. So thats totally fine!

But, I have also seen women just whip it out and go. Which grosses me out. Cover up!

^This.

I seen it happen a few times over the years.....and I think the best reaction is to look discreetly elsewhere.

And even if that is not possible, an "uncovered" mum with a silent (feeding) baby is better than a "covered" one with a screaming (hungry) baby.

I think it's natural to breastfeed your child. I'm all for people doing it, I wouldn't do it myself though. I also don't think it's right to do it in public.

So I'm half and half on this. Fair enough it's a beautiful but exposing your body parts in public is disgusting. Even if you have a towel over yourself. At someones house, but not at a restraunt or a park or something.

Where I live I have never in all my 18 and a half years seen it in public. But it's their choice I suppose. :)

But if you have a towel over yourself then your not exposing anything :unsure:

I think it´s natural.They can do it whereever they want.But I think they should try to hide it,because that´s embarrassing,isn´t it.But I´m not a woman :) .In the end it´s their choice.

i wouldnt do it, because i would feel uncomfortable lol

but i do kind of think that if a woman were to breastfeed please go to a private area...it makes me feel akward when its just out in the open

It really depends where you are and what the culture is.

In Uganda, women would breastfeed their babies all the time in public. I know that in western countries that would be really awkward, but in Ugandan culture it's normal and acceptable.

As for my opinion on it, I don't really mind.

Saying "it's natural" isn't a good enough excuse. Taking a dump is natural too but I doubt too many of you would be okay with it if I just dropped my pants and took a crap in the middle of a restaurant you're eating in. But I covered up, so it's okay.

Also, don't like when a woman's got her boob out in public and we're supposed to act like it's not there. They scowl when we look at them. It's a boob...in public. C'mon!

You should be able to breastfeed in public. Because if you have a baby you should be able to go out sometimes and if you do and you bring the baby, he will probably be hungry and they can eat for awhile and I don't think someone wants to sit in a bathroom alone for 30-40 minutes.

And don't most of the women cover up? Who wants to flash their breasts in public? But if it's a cut low I guess people think it's okay because the look at breasts is something erotic and when it become a babyfeeder that eroticism disappear and people get upset. The baby's head hide most of the breast, it's not much to see.

Saying "it's natural" isn't a good enough excuse. Taking a dump is natural too but I doubt too many of you would be okay with it if I just dropped my pants and took a crap in the middle of a restaurant you're eating in. But I covered up, so it's okay.

Also, don't like when a woman's got her boob out in public and we're supposed to act like it's not there. They scowl when we look at them. It's a boob...in public. C'mon!

Your seriously saying feeding a baby is the same as taking a dump? Nice.

Well you eating your dinner is perfectly natural, but maybe I'm going to be offended by it, should you have to leave the restaurant or go eat it in the bathroom to avoid offending me?

I seriously don't see the problem, most women when they do it cover up, why is it an issue if you can't see anything? And its nowhere near on the scale of taking a chuffing dump. Fair enough if a woman just has it all out, I think its ok to ask her to either leave or cover herself up.

There is nothing offensive of a mother feeding her baby. If it makes you uncomfortable, just don't look! A mother shouldn't have to leave or anything just because she is feeding her child. How horrible. It's a normal, natural, and beautiful things. Boobs are to feed babies, that's why women have them!! :)