The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What if Emma had quit

I believe it was after the 4th movie that she considered not coming back.

What if she had bowed out? Who do you think they would've gotten? If you couldn't have Emma come back, then who would you like have to seen in the role? How would it have changed the series? What would have become of Emma? Would she regret it? Get back into movies? Or just be happy being normal again? How would you have felt? Would you continue seeing the movies without her in them?

This thread is going to take a little imagination, so let loose.

I would have been very sad!!!! Emma brought heart, soul, and spirit to the Hermione role-she was what I pictured to be Hermione. I am just very happy that she decided even at such a pivotal age (what 14/15/16?) to come back to complete her work on the Potter series for the remaining 6 years. I mean this was not an easy task-yes she makes boatloads of money and such but to say I am putting my life into this movie series for another 6 years (same w. the other guys) must have been a rather difficult decision. Not to mention the daunting task of playing day in and day out for what 9-12 months each time for filming.

What if the sky was blue... oh wait..

I said this thread would take some imagination. Obviously it's not for you. Move along.

The only other person that I can think of that could act that role would be Annesophie Robb. But shes too young

Excellent choice.

I would have been very sad!!!! Emma brought heart, soul, and spirit to the Hermione role-she was what I pictured to be Hermione. I am just very happy that she decided even at such a pivotal age (what 14/15/16?) to come back to complete her work on the Potter series for the remaining 6 years. I mean this was not an easy task-yes she makes boatloads of money and such but to say I am putting my life into this movie series for another 6 years (same w. the other guys) must have been a rather difficult decision. Not to mention the daunting task of playing day in and day out for what 9-12 months each time for filming.

You're right, it was a big decision. She was probably worn out and signing on for 6 more years would have been daunting. Not an easy decision for her. Maybe an easier decision for Dan and Rupert. As it seems Dan was committed and wanted to be an actor and had no qualms being famous. For Rupert he didn't have to deal with the fame on the same level as Dan or Emma.

if emma hadn't stayed as hermione i think they should've casted me :P hahah.

jk i unno who. maybe Kristen Stewart...if she was a better actress, just because she looks a bit like Emma.

Ah I remember that.... I was so scared lol.

TBH, it would not have been the same at all!!! Emma just IS Hermione. I don't think anyone else could have played her. I am so happy she decided to sign on for the rest!!!

But seeing as it was only the 4th movie, do you think that they could have gotten away with another member as Hermione?

Like, do you think that they could have got someone else and everyone would have grown as attached to her? Or had Emma made too much of an impact to everyone by that stage?

But seeing as it was only the 4th movie, do you think that they could have gotten away with another member as Hermione?

Like, do you think that they could have got someone else and everyone would have grown as attached to her? Or had Emma made too much of an impact to everyone by that stage?

Good points. This was kinda the direction I was going. I think it would've been difficult as everyone had grown attached to Emma as Hermione at that point.

It was pretty easy to get away with replacing Dumbledore as 1) he's a peripheral character and 2) the actor is obscured by the robes, the beard and the long hair. As for Hermione, not so much.

For instance, look at the TV show Cheers. Kirstie Alley was on the show longer than Shelly Long but since she replaced Long she was always viewed as the new girl.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after just having a quick browse of Emma's wikipedia page it says she was reluctant to sign on in 2007 for the last films, so she would have missed HBP and both DH films. If that's true then I feel that it would have been too late for her to leave and for someone else to step in. It just wouldn't feel right.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after just having a quick browse of Emma's wikipedia page it says she was reluctant to sign on in 2007 for the last films, so she would have missed HBP and both DH films..

Yeah, it was either after GoF or OOTP. Either way she would've missed three or four films.

I honestly believe that nobody could fill that role as well as she did. I mean, she was the perfect Hermione. The ONLY thing that doesn't match, is that Hermione was made out to be in the unattractive category, while Emma stands out as one of the most beautiful women on this rock. If she had quit, I think I would have not watched the movies AS MUCH as I have. :P

I hate that argument. Hermione was never written as unattractive. Or at least, Harry never described unattractive attributes to her (and we are reading from his point of view). Saying she has bushy hair and long front teeth is like saying Summer Glau has brown eyes. It's not in any way shape or form reflects his or my opinion on Hermione's hair or Summer's eye color, it just tells you what a person looks like.

I hate that argument. Hermione was never written as unattractive. Or at least, Harry never described unattractive attributes to her (and we are reading from his point of view). Saying she has bushy hair and long front teeth is like saying Summer Glau has brown eyes. It's not in any way shape or form reflects his or my opinion on Hermione's hair or Summer's eye color, it just tells you what a person looks like.

Yep, I agree. It's heavily implied in the Goblet of Fire that Hermione was becoming quite attractive, such was her attention from Viktor Krum, and GoF came out in 2000, before Emma had been cast. Emma certainly fit the bill for appearance when she was cast, but it turns out she blossomed into what she is. Though I do wonder sometimes if Emma had slight influence on the way J.K wrote Hermione in the last 2 books?

Very true. It never does state clearly. But she did seem to go unnoticed before the Yule Ball, after which she stunned a few people. I always had the impression that maybe she was plain, or blended in with the crowd due to not being highly attractive, which Emma is.. in my opinion. But your right, it never does clearly state it.

Good points. This was kinda the direction I was going. I think it would've been difficult as everyone had grown attached to Emma as Hermione at that point.

It was pretty easy to get away with replacing Dumbledore as 1) he's a peripheral character and 2) the actor is obscured by the robes, the beard and the long hair. As for Hermione, not so much.

For instance, look at the TV show Cheers. Kirstie Alley was on the show longer than Shelly Long but since she replaced Long she was always viewed as the new girl.

Oh I dunno, Emmas beard does a pretty good job of obscuring her face :P

I have never had been a HP fan until recently so I didnt know peoples emotional attachment to her then, but if she had pulled out in 07, then it WOULD have been very weird indeed.

Well, I must say, I am of course very happy Emma did not quit. I understand her feelings about the possibility to quit, but I'm very happy she did not and I believe it was a good thing to do. I still would've gone to see the movies though, but probably wouldn't have enjoyed them as much since Emma has always been my favourite actress in them :).

Very true. It never does state clearly. But she did seem to go unnoticed before the Yule Ball, after which she stunned a few people. I always had the impression that maybe she was plain, or blended in with the crowd due to not being highly attractive, which Emma is.. in my opinion. But your right, it never does clearly state it.

Yeah but Harry was growing up, as were the other boys in the school.

As boys grow up, they notice girls. Plus Hermione would have grown up too, people tend to do that around the teen years and other teens start to notice them after not paying them much attention when they were younger.

As for the topic, I don't know what would have happened, I think the films would have still been successful, however, I do think it would be weird to watch. Not because I think Emma is the only person who could play Hermione, I'm pretty sure there are a number of unknown actresses who would have done a fantastic job, but because everyone was so used to Emma as Hermione by that point.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

^ i agree, no other actress could have brought Hermione to the silver screen the way Emma did. i shall always be an Emma fan for Hermione, no matter where her post-HP career takes her. i would have been forever sad, if Emma had not returned for the remaining films, but i had read in one of her interviews, that Emma couldn't leave Hermione to someone else, so i think that all her personal life angst aside, Emma would've stayed no matter what. thanks, miss Watson...always. :wub:

I agree. She said it. She Dreamed about it. Sometimes it must be very tempting. But in the end. She is grown up with hermione and she is a part of her. If you long enough pretend to be someone you become him^^.

And in young years, when you are malleable it counts twice.

She is an independen person of course. You can never be an fictional charakter. They may seem Real but they can never be. Some bit is always missing, thats at least my opinion and i read a lot.

Ive never seen this topic xd.

what if Emma had quit? it would be sad but at the same time I would be very happy. I always wanted it after she finished the saga(or  when rumors appeared).

I prefer her life instead her career even if I cant see her anymore (thus, sad and happy xd)

Why would you prefer her as an private person?

You wouldn´t even know if it would make her happy or that it would take her to an depression? She chooses action, because she loved it. I think self if she sometimes dreams of it, an "ordinary" live would not give her peace.