The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Cakes From Ebay

I'm a keen baker and love decorating cake, I made my sons birthday cake and have made a few others. I want to get some practice making more cakes and decorating them. I noticed that a few people sell cakes on ebay which I thought was a little odd. The cakes are quite expensive and would you trust them going in the post?

So I was just wondering, would you buy a cake from ebay full stop? would you be more likely to buy a cake if you knew it was being made locally so you could pick it up or have a more personal delivery?

i personally wouldnt do it over the internet, mostly because i would want to see it face to face really. I buy a lot of cakes lol i get this shop in the local town that makes cakes for people.

Perhaps you could find a little cake making shop, they are brilliant and extremely talented.

Yeah well that was my thoughts as well,

I'm not looking at buying, I'd be more interested in selling. I was just asking because I personally don't like the idea of buying a cake from ebay, so wondered if it was just be or if other people shared this view lol.

^my auntie is a keen baker too, and she makes money by making cakes for her friends and then her friends recomended her to their friends etc. All about word of mouth, and then when you make enough money you can put a ad in the local paper or yellow pages?

As odd as it sounds there are some types of collector cakes out there, which might be one reason people buy online, but that's a whole different bag of beans. I might be enticed to order online if the shop was local and I could pick it up, mind you it would have to be an establishment I trusted. I probably wouldn't order a cake from a different county/state/country however, that just seems a bit odd. Especially when there are so many delicious local cakes =D.

I've made a lion cake (i'll try and find a picture now)

I also did a variety of pirate themed cupcakes, but unfortunately they all got eaten before I took a photo :( I'm going to have to do them again randomly just for a photo. I'm making one for bonfire night I'll post that when its done.

This was my sons 2nd Birthday cake, its not the best example of what I can do, but I'm quite proud of it as it was the first one I ever made.

I've made a lion cake (i'll try and find a picture now)

I also did a variety of pirate themed cupcakes, but unfortunately they all got eaten before I took a photo :( I'm going to have to do them again randomly just for a photo. I'm making one for bonfire night I'll post that when its done.

This was my sons 2nd Birthday cake, its not the best example of what I can do, but I'm quite proud of it as it was the first one I ever made.

that is sooo awesome i cannot begin to explain it.

Mack is so lucky to have a mum that wants to bake for him lol my mum never did.

anyway back on topic, how much does it cost you to make it? like the ingrediants?

Thanks both of you, I'd glad people like it. I'm always very critical of my own work, that's why I didn't get photo's of the pirate cakes, I didn't like them and by the time people came round and said they looked really good I didn't get chance to take a photo. In future I'm taking photo's whether I like the look of them or not, like my mum said even if they don't look good, I can look back on the photo's to improve them.

I got it from my mum, she used to make our cakes and I think it's nice. Different then having the ones from the supermarket and more personal. I might try and make a character cake for my friends daughter, she loves pepper pig though, who I'm not a fan of, but I suppose it'll be easy to make.

I'm not sure how much it costs to make, I'd have to have a think about it, because I always have things like flour in and I bought all the ingredients over a few weeks to spread the cost. If I were seriously going to sell them I'd have to practice a few different cakes and sit down and work out properly how much they cost so I'm selling them and making a decent profit. I think they'd be quite expensive, but saying that I suppose I'd just need to market them towards the types of mums who do spend a fortune on their kids :P

Someone has put an order in for a humpty dumpty.....but that's not until July

dont ever feel bad on your hard work, even tho people told you is bad doesnt mean u have to give up... use that as ur motivation to get back up n do better.. anyways if i have ebay account, would u send some of ur cake for me?? i mean i'd buy it lol