The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Okay well, lets start a debate about public and private schools. Everyone has their own opinion on which one is better, based on their own experience and their own beliefs. Some say that they like public schools better because they get to meet new people and experience new things. Others, on the flip side, like private schools because they say that public schools are too harsh and the kids at public schools would have a bad influence on them.

So here's the question. Let's assume that you had a child. And he or she is getting ready to go to school soon. Would you send them to a public school or a private school? Why?

I went to a private elementary school but finished through a public high school. Both have their perks and quite honestly, you get the same education. Albeit some private schools are a year or two ahead of most public schools but in the end every student gets (or at least should) good education. Private schools is also a great way to develop contacts and networks not just for you but for your child as well; these schools tend to be more of a tightly knit fraternity. Personally, I'll be sending my kids (waay down the road) to a private school.

I still don't have an answer to this question and I've thought about it, or at least given it some thought.

I went to public schools throughout my elementary and secondary attendance. I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't have any type of problem with it. Although, I did grow up in a district (during that time) that had quite a bit of resources and money to set a standard for education in my state. If I had gone to a less resourceful district, my idea might change.

As far as university goes, however, I attended a private university for a semester. I will not lie, the perks are incredible...especially for the school I did attend. It had quite a philanthropic attitude among its alumni. Afterwards, I came back home and attended a community college for a semester, which I absolutely hated. This time around, I'll opt for private trade school and public/private university. For me, the label doesn't matter. It's the quality of education given, and private school isn't always the answer.

I'd put my children in a public school system. If they need more help, or whichever the factor may be, then I'd try private school...provided I have enough money to do so.

I only ever went to private school! I don't think I could ever go to public school! Lol I wouldn't survive!

Agree. Education and teachers in some public schools...are soo bad.But some public schools (for example Chinese schools) are quite good.

i myself currently attend a public secondary school. its not exactly a poor school, so we have resources. my school is very good, its has gained academy status from Ofsted. if i had kids i would send them to a public school, i would not be prepared to pay £10,000+ a year just for them to have the same education with slightly better resources than the local public schools.

I went to a public school, and to my mind, I had a good all round education. A lot of public schools have upped their game in recent years, more facilities, resources, etc. I know of a lot of kids who went to public schools, and then went on to do well at University.

Its a matter of choice really, but some people cannot afford to send their kids to Private Schools.

I went to a public school, and to my mind, I had a good all round education. A lot of public schools have upped their game in recent years, more facilities, resources, etc. I know of a lot of kids who went to public schools, and then went on to do well at University.

Its a matter of choice really, but some people cannot afford to send their kids to Private Schools.

I agree with this!!!! A lot of public schools are really taking the steps towards improving!

I only ment that i couldn't survive in public schools because of the size. my whole school was like 300 kids lol. Plus private schools tend to be more personal. Like, you can be closer to your teachers ect.

I think everything here depends on your individual child and the school in question. The potential advantages of private school are enormous: much more individual attention for each child, higher-quality and more inspiring instruction, more challenging classes. Kids who are bored or quiet or anonymous in public school often flourish in a private school's smaller, more intense classes.

However, it's also true that a small private school is a more homogenous environment. If your child doesn't fit in with the mainstream for any reason--economic, social, cultural, or personal--he/she may have a harder time finding her niche and feeling accepted than he/she would in a larger public school with a wider range of kids. A full-day visit will help him/her figure out whether the private school appeals to him/her.

The public/private school decision tends to make a bigger difference to immediate quality of life than to eventual outcome. If his/her public school is equipping his/her with the basic academic skills he/she needs, he'll/she'll do fine either way, in the long term.

I went to an International school and the high school section alone had only around 45 people. It was one of those places where everyone knows each other and gets along most of the time. I liked it. A public school sounds scary!

I only went to public schools all my life.

There wasnt really that much bullying or anything like that. I would imagine that private ones still have their fair amount of bullies and problems.

I dont really have a preferance

I went to public school all my life, and the education was fine, the kids weren't. But I don't think if I had been in a private school the kids would have been any better, you know? I'm in a public university and I'm very satisfied with it.

My neighbor Katie, who is 11 years old, went to a private catholic school and the kids were BRUTAL to her. It broke my heart because she is a very smart, sweet, loving girl, but she does have a form of asbergers. I was talking with her mom about it a while ago and her mom was so hesitant about putting her into public school and I don't think that public schools are THAT bad, gosh! lol. I think, on the whole, in middle and high school, kids are a lot more open because they come from very diverse backgrounds. Idk what the dynamic is for private school though, but from what I've seen, public schools are a lot more diverse and they cater to a wider range of students and backgrounds.

Went to a private school since i was little till i couldn't take the highschool alternative and switched to a public school after a row with my parents. I switched because the private school was not a good fit for me lol my behaviour was atrocious and i got majorly bullied.

Personally private is better because the curriculum is a lot more advanced and holds more weight compared to public school. For example public school teaches you the basics, where as privates teach you the basics and expands on them so you tend to learn more. Doesnt make your GCSEs easier, it just meant that when you go to sixth form or university you have a lot more knowledge in that area.

I went to a private sixth form though, and it was worth it because I came out with some pretty awesome grades.

I went to both. I reckon that in general private schools are better, but there are so many public schools nowadays with excellent teachers and a great ethos which are better than a lot of fee paying schools. If I could do school all over again, I'd choose to be in the public school I was at for the entire time. I feel like I'd have done just as well.

Just to point out, that in the UK 'public school' also means private school, we use 'state school' to describe government funded institutions (although with academys, faith schools etc.. the picture gets massively more complex)

I went to state school and did just fine, I cannot see the point in sending my future kids to a private school unless I'm in a situation where they would need to be in a boarding school (eg. I am out of the country working for extended periods)

• 3 years later...

Went to a private school when I was in elementary, on a public or rather a government school when I was in highschool and private university in college.

I had a few good and bad ideas on both.

Bad side on a private school (elementary level on my part) I got bullied for 2 years, told my mom about it and she didn't do anything about it, I guess she really don't care. Told my adviser about it, and they told me to just leave it and don't fight back so I won't start a fight, and it will not be an 'issue', I'm guessing private schools are really protecting there name and reputations, next is no permit no test that goes for exams, and no pay, no travel on educational trips, next is your only few on a class 15-20 students per class so expect your name to be called many times on answering a question. <_<. The good part is, they have a properly equipped clinic, air conditioned rooms, 1:1 on anything (computers, reviewer booklets, chairs etc.) and even there are only few students on a class, the good thing is the teacher can properly teach and discipline all the students.

Bad side on a public school (highschool level), 1 teacher is to 65-70 students. The rooms are very small and crowded. Some students don't have a chair so few students shares a chair with a classmate, lack of books and very very old books (some have torn and missing pages, or it has no front cover), no AC just 2-4 wall or ceiling fans, 1 computer is to 2-3 students. The good thing is a very very low tuition fee of $15 - $16 per school year, you can go join educational trips just make sure to pay it before they release the clearance permits, very cheap food and student meals, you'll get to know students with different personalities, the teachers are very very friendly they're willing to help.

I didn't put all the details :P

But if I already have kids and I will send them to school, I would send them to private school first, because kids are very 'malikot' (idk the term in English >.<), I'm sure they will be 'safer'. If they already finish grade school, I will ask them on where would they want to continue their studies.