The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Does Emma Drive?

Quick question does she or can she drive? I thought about this while watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, 19 Years Later. I was wondering if any of them drive.

yeah emma can drive

she said in an interview that she had a car and her friends make fun of it because it looks like a brick

but im not sure if she still has that car lol

laaaammmeee

Yeah a bunch of photos posted on here shows her getting out of the driver's side of a Prius.

It's a car. It's supposed to get you from point A to point B. Not be cool enough to mask any insecurities. Her clothing line was eco-friendly too.

I have a vague memory that she also never passed the full test, just the automatic, i dont know if i dreamed that or I heard it in an Interview....the Prius is an automatic car anyhow

^ ^^ ^^^

Yes, she talked about passing her driving test on Letterman. I think that's when she made some comments about her mother's driving too. :P

I don't recall hearing about what test she passed, but it seems like standard transmission cars are almost becoming a special order. And as you say the Prius is automatic.

The Prius is not lame. I would consider buying one if they didn't cost so much.

One thing that really bugs me, in the UK there are a number of cars that are rated at 80+ mpg, and some of these are regular engines, not hybrids. In the US, the Prius is the best at 50mpg (if you don't count all electric cars), and the rest don't top 40mpg. If the US wants to cut foreign oil dependancy, why don't they have some of these cars that actually get good mileage?

the prius is great, because if youre just using it for going round town (30mph max) then it runs on electricity, better for environment and less petrol for you haha.

I dont know where im getting this from that she only passed the automatic test...but im 80% sure its true. many people just take the automatic test if they cant get their head around switching gears. but normally everyone in the UK takes the full test.

One thing that really bugs me, in the UK there are a number of cars that are rated at 80+ mpg, and some of these are regular engines, not hybrids. In the US, the Prius is the best at 50mpg (if you don't count all electric cars), and the rest don't top 40mpg. If the US wants to cut foreign oil dependancy, why don't they have some of these cars that actually get good mileage?

That's because these high gas mileage cars are diesel which get waaaaaay more mileage than hybrids which uses gasoline. The US government only allowed a very limited number of foreign diesel car models in order to help the American car companies who are too stubborn to come up with their own diesel cars. <_< The thing is, having a Prius alone isn't the answer to decreasing your personal eco footprint.

I see a lot of kids around here with Priuses with their heads held high thinking they're better than the regular car owners because they're "saving the planet". ...they're driving these cars like a regular car which... you're not supposed to do. The gasoline engine in a hybrid kicks in after a certain RPM. Many hybrid drivers here tend to floor their pedals and stay on high RPMs defeating the whole purpose of having the electric motor. As Jay Leno stated when interviewed by James May, it's become a fashion statement.

Back on topic here. Well like 95% of drivers in the US are on automatic transmission, it's more likely Emma only took a regular driving test everyone else takes.

To answer the topic question. I listened to the Letterman interview which I can link if somebody would like it where Emma said she does drive a Prius and gave up on driving manual and only passed the automatic test.

To talk about the Prius: You eco-friendly tree hugers who think the Prius will save the planet are horribly wrong. The Prius uses the electric motor up to 30mph. most non residential roads are 45+ mph. Sure it gets a good mile to gallon ratio but it depends on how you drive. Jeremy Clarkson proved that if you drive a BMW M3 at the same speed of a Prius going relatively fast, the M3 will be way more efficient.

To answer the topic question. I listened to the Letterman interview which I can link if somebody would like it where Emma said she does drive a Prius and gave up on driving manual and only passed the automatic test.

To talk about the Prius: You eco-friendly tree hugers who think the Prius will save the planet are horribly wrong. The Prius uses the electric motor up to 30mph. most non residential roads are 45+ mph. Sure it gets a good mile to gallon ratio but it depends on how you drive. Jeremy Clarkson proved that if you drive a BMW M3 at the same speed of a Prius going relatively fast, the M3 will be way more efficient.

Glad I bought myself nice big car last week then, vroom vroom! :)

Agreed. My mother owns one and I love driving it. I've been scratching my head wondering why some car makers chose to build vehicles the way they did technology wise. Things like 'why they used feedback carburetors and TBI instead of jumping directly to sequential port fuel injection?'

The Prius, at least the NHW20 2004-2009 model, seemed like the first use-able car with some original thinking put into the drivetrain. The PSD full hybrid setup with 2 motor/generators is pure genius. The original Honda Insight was okay too, but it was a 2 seater and just an IMA single motor mild/assist hybrid.

I am not a Toyota lover, but if the "big 3" had made a car identical to the Prius technology and feature wise first I would have wanted that instead.

And what did GM do to jump on the bandwagon when "hybrid" first became popular? They threw a larger alternator and a wider serpentine belt with more ribs on some Saturns to enable idle engine stop and slapped on a hybrid badge when they really weren't. I would even take a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan hybrid or Nissan Altima hybrid since they are also full hybrid designs, but the NHW20 Prius is still my first choice because of the smart key system. =/

Back on topic here. Well like 95% of drivers in the US are on automatic transmission, it's more likely Emma only took a regular driving test everyone else takes.

95% are automatic? Wow. In the UK it's probably the complete opposite. Got to love a good old gearstick!

It's a car. It's supposed to get you from point A to point B. Not be cool enough to mask any insecurities. Her clothing line was eco-friendly too.

Agreed. I couldn't care less what a car looks like, as long as it gets me where I need to go. And she likes her car anyway lol.

Edited by mischief.managed

See one thing you need to know about us Yanks is that... we're lazy. :P

Yeah I heard about that. I tried to drive an automatic a while ago and it didn't work lol. I need that pedal for my left foot and the lever for my right hand.

:D

And I didn't even know that there were two different driving tests in the UK? Interesting.