The Emma-Watson.net Forum

British Actors

So I heard J.K Rowling was adament that all the actors in all movies be British. I have only just realised on the show last night when J.K Rowling stated that all actors are British and they flicked through the actors I was like HOLY CROW literally all of them are. I thought that was just a rumour going around, but they actually are.

Yeah, I guess that's true! I too cannot come up with an American actor (or an actor from another country) who was in Harry Potter...Predrag Bjelac (Igor Karkaroff) is from Serbia though :P. And what about Stanislav Ianevski? Or doesn't that count?

Emma was born in France.....................................................................................................................................................

So was Clemence Poesy (Fleur Delacour).

I knew this for years!!! It was all over the net that Jo preferred only British actors. Even for extras!!!!! I remember people thinking it was a huge deal when Evanna Lynch was cast even though she is from Ireland. Maybe that changed with the later movies? But, I do know that they where very serious about not having Americans cast.

• 6 months later...

MOST of them were British, that's true!

I still wonder how they got all these talented people to work on Harry Potter...I mean....actors and actresses that normally don't play

minor characters too often....actors that own tons of awards and made hundreds of movies...just read the list of the cast:

Maggie Smith

Bill Nighy

Alan Rickman

Jim Broadbent

Emma Thompson

Michael Gambon

Timothy Spall

Imelda Staunton

Gary Oldman

Helena Bonham Carter

Robbie Coltrane

Richard Griffith

really, it's great they all id it! Timothy Spall only appeared in HBP for a few seconds for example...

Edited by Ophelia
But, I do know that they where very serious about not having Americans cast.

Yet we seem to have a flood of British actors coming to the US to the point of it being annoying. Many of our superheroes are now British - Batman, Spiderman, Superman (that's just un-American right there). What next? A biopic about John Wayne starring Hugh Laurie? It was bad enough when we had the Canadians coming down here and acting in our movies saying things like "aboot" and "eh". But now this?

But it hardly ever goes the other direction. You don't see a lot of actors from the US playing British characters. I can only think of two off the top of my head - Robert Downy Jr. who did it twice with Sherlock Holmes and Charlie Chaplin and then the chick that did Bridget Jones.

**For those without sarcasm detectors, the above was written somewhat tongue in cheek**

I think it's down to there being just too many local/county dialects in Britain. As opposed to America, where you get a generic accent for regions, with some deviation, but not as much as Britain.

Have you ever been here? You honestly think that two people who live over 3,000 miles apart won't have differing dialects? Not to mention people who don't even live that far apart. Just look at Boston for example. In just that one city you have the Boston Brahmin dialect, the Southie dialect and the plain old Boston accent. And someone in Boston is going to sound different that someone from New York. And they will sound different than someone form Virginia who sounds different from someone in Alabama who sounds different than someone from Tennessee and so on across the country.

But I guess I can't begrudge you that thought as the people who make the movies seem to think the same thing. In the movies it doesn't matter if a character is from Texas or Georgia, they just give them all the same generic "country/southern" dialect.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever been here? You honestly think that two people who live over 3,000 miles apart won't have differing dialects? Not to mention people who don't even live that far apart. Just look at Boston for example. In just that one city you have the Boston Brahmin dialect, the Southie dialect and the plain old Boston accent. And someone in Boston is going to sound different that someone from New York. And they will sound different than someone form Virginia who sounds different from someone in Alabama who sounds different than someone from Tennessee and so on across the country.

But I guess I can't begrudge you that thought as the people who make the movies seem to think the same thing. In the movies it doesn't matter if a character is from Texas or Georgia, they just give them all the same generic "country/southern" dialect.

Yes, I have been there. I meant it in there ARE definitely regional dialects and accents that differ, but there are also very generic accents that cover various areas.

In Bristol, you have a generic Bristolian accent, then there's the South Bristol accent, and the North Bristol accent. These vary a lot depending on whether it's female or male speaking.

More so than in the UK, where you know instantly you're in a different place because word usage, vocab, dialect, accent and phrases change very abruptly.

Edited by SomeBloke

I'm going to state my opinion on the Harry Potter actors and actresses. I think that they did a fantastic job playing their own roles in the Harry Potter series. And I loved their British accents as well. Especially Hermione's accent. It was really professional and well played throughout the Harry Potter series. And I'm not surprised that all the actors/actresses are all British; since the movie was made in United Kingdom.