The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Harry And Ginny Thread

Harry and Ginny of course are the under-rated and under-valued couple in Harry Potter fandom by many.

Their story of love develops in the shadows of the Harry Potter series, which is ironic in that Ginny is the light in Harry's darkness (his journey to vanquish Lord Voldemort of course).

Currently I'm reading GoF and the Harry/Ginny relationship is yet to blossom as Harry has his crush on Cho.

I used to really like the Harry/Cho dynamic, but I can see from the get-go where it is purely a physical attraction that brings Harry to Cho, who he knows very little about. The great thing about Ginny is how he slowly comes to her. It really shows the way that I think most (successful) relationships work in real life. It's not that fancy first crush that we all go ga-ga for who really wins our heart. It's the one who takes the time to see us for who we are and falls in love with our clumsiness and silliness and faults as much as what ever it is we have going for us.

That's what's so awesome about Ginny and Harry. They don't happen like some romance novel or Hollywood scripted love affair. They happen in the way real life and real love happens. It may not be shiny and it may not glitter as in the way we see a refined piece of jewerly. But what it is, is that unrefined jewel that is a rare find, for while it may not carry the same lustre of something you buy at the jewelers, it's real, and it's personal, and it's yours. It's not touched up or influenced by outside forces... it's natural and beautiful and perhaps while it appears simple, perhaps it's even too complex for a fan base to appreciate when the read about it. Maybe we've just become so accostumed ourselves to that bright, shiny, perfect... perfectly fake that is... romance.

I fell for it. I wanted Harry and Cho, but I'm glad that JKR was smart enough to see past these typical portrayls of love and romance. She could have put Harry (the book Hero) with Hermione the most prevelant female character, but realized how well Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione complemented eachother instead. :lol: Thank you Jo! *hugs*

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Katharine! I'm glad you're here! :)

H/G's relationship is purposely overlooked in the books, as JK Rowling has mentioned that 'Harry is the hero, but R/Hr have the love story'. So, while it's easy and natural to ship them, it is sometimes hard to follow suit with H/G as we haven't had as many moments where they were together.

However, I started to enjoy their relationship in DH. Even when they were apart for the majority of the book, the fact that Ginny returned to Hogwarts and risk her life in order to support Harry and R/Hr speaks volumes about the extent of her love for him.

On the other hand, we have a Harry who turns his thoughts to Ginny when he's upset or desperate. Even when she was so far away from him, he found comfort in knowing that she was there for him, and that she loved him as much as he did.

Harry's love story, even when not a part of the central plot, was beautifully told indeed. :)

And while it was developed as something of a sub(subplot) it's not like it came completely out of no where in DH.

All the points you made vida are well noted. It's just sad that some people will diminish Ginny because of it, when her character has a great deal of depth and complexity, even if that was revealed in a less dynamic place on the outskirts of Harry and his spot light.

Vida, I love your post. Ginny would risk everything for Harry, and she's his best source of comfort. They're exactly what the other needs, and how anyone can see that as a superficial relationship purely because of the lack of pagetime is beyond me.

And absolutely, John. H/G may not be in the focus, but look carefully and there is a beautiful, if subtle, build up and depth to their relationship which more than rivals a great deal of mainstream 'romance' in this day and age, IMO.

Okay, for the first time in ages I have an observation to add here! I did say I was going to finish reading the books the second time around by the time of Deathly Hallows.... I just didn't know at the time that it was Deathly Hallows Part Two that I was talking about! :P

So anyway... I'm in the middlish section of GoF and I never noticed Ginny's reaction to Harry asking out Cho to the Yule Ball before. First off, like much of the Harry/Ginny relationship it is understated, but it also occurs at the same time as Hermione's reaction to Ron finally taking notice of her, while Ginny is comforting Ron after his asking (and running away from) Fleur Delacour to the Yule Ball. I think the reactions of Hermione and Ginny in regards to who they have feelings for is very telling about their compatability with Ron and Harry respectively. Hermione as always gets very agitated and upset with Ron and his inquiries, this fiery response is something that Ron handles well from Hermione, they're used to it. When Ginny hears that Harry asked Cho, she bocomes very quiet and stops laughing at Ron, she also is very down when Ron suggests she go with Harry, after she admits to already having agreed to go with Neville. Her disapointment is just as great as Hermione's, but her reaction is the complete opposite. This meshes well with Harry. It shows how nicely Ginny's temperment fits in with Harry (ironic in a sense that Ginny's character flys in the face of the stereotypical portrayl of red-heads as hot headed) and his temperment. Harry doesn't like drama, he often shys away awkwardly from those drama filled moments between Ron and Hermione. The fact that Ginny doesn't make a scene or create drama is something that is eventually going to draw Harry to Ginny.

Chapter 22 The Unexpected Task on pages 399 and 401 are where Ginny reacts first with disapointment to Harry's mentioning his having asked Cho, and then her embarrassingly admitting that she is going with Neville as she leaves dejected, having not waited longer so that she might have gone with Harry.

This was probably obvious to many, but for me this is where the Ron/Hermione feelings were finally getting pushed to the surface IMO and Hermione's actions screamed out evidence of her hidden feelings for Ron, while Ginny's reaction is much more subtle but just as prevalent regarding her hidden feelings for Harry. I think that's why I missed it. This is right around where I started really shipping Ron and Hermione, so my attention to the more subtle and continuing development of a build up to the eventual Harry and Ginny relationship was distracted.

Yay! lots more people in this thread than the old one :)

And Jon :o:ohyeah: At last! Haha

I agree, I think a lot of the problem is that people tend to overlook H/G in comparison with the much more obvious and dramatic build-up between R/Hr, especially since many of their moments occur at similar times. However, like I've said before, the moments are still there, and in a way I think it makes them even more special that they're not shoved in your face, but that it requires attention to detail to spot all the new subtle details, as is true of many aspects of the HP series.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jon, I look forward to hearing more in the next year... century... sometime this millenium :P LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, what are people's thoughts on H/G in DH?

SPOILER WARNING

I actually liked them more than in HBP. I thought Ginny got the right amount of screentime compared with the other characters and storyline focus. The dress bit was another bit of movie-H/G cheese like the shoelace and the mince pie in HBP, but I prefered it to the aforementioned scenes by far. I didn't think I'd like George interrupting, but I actually thought it was quite appropriate, not only because it adds a bit of humour to an otherwise sombre mood at the beginning, but because I couldn't think of a more appropriate way to end the scene considering their relationship is so different from in the books. Having Ron argue with Harry about it like in the books wouldn't fit in because they didn't really get together, let alone break up in HBP.

The kiss was ok. I wish it could have been a bit more passionate and we could have scene both their faces rather than that bizarre viewpoint of the back of Ginny's head, but it was inkeeping with the movie-H/G relationship and whilst it was nothing compared to the book kiss, the fact it was included at all is god enough for me at this stage.

:)

My problem really is with the portrayal of their relationship and Ginny in previous films. I didn't expect much in DH because really, there isn't much of them in the book, just very subtle things. So previous films should've showed more of Ginny, of course early films didn't have any idea but still, little fun scenes would be great, like the shared jokes between Harry and Ginny in PoA and all the times Ginny wanted to tell Harry and Ron about the diary in CoS.

Their relationship in the movies is way more subtle and to the point, like the kiss in DH, without further ado, they kiss. I'm not saying I hate it but I kinda miss the Ginny and their relationship from the books.

Though, I have to say I loved the way he screamed her name and run towards her in the wedding before being stopped by Lupin.

The canon relationships in the books have been so overlooked in the movies that at the moment I feel like I'm watching a completely different story when it comes to the romantic couples.

I really didn't need to see Harry zipping up Ginny's dress. All I wanted was the passionate kiss I've been waiting for since HBP and, at this point, I don't think I'll ever get to see it.

It's a real shame, considering we are talking about the main character of the series and his future wife!

Anna and Vida, I completely agree with everything you both said.

I wish movie-H/G were more canon. I thought the relationship was treated well in DH considering the build-up in previous films. I want the passion too - hell, the DH kiss in the books even tops the R/Hr kiss for me, but that may not have been appropriate for movie-H/G. I'm just glad they got the screentime they did.

And I almost forgot about Harry screaming Ginny's name at the wedding. I loved that part.

The scene where they showed Harry following Snape at Hogwarts on the Marauder's Map, I'd have liked if they had shown him following Ginny too. There's no reason why they couldn't have shown that.

The kiss should have been better than a shot of the back of Ginny's head, we know we're going to have the Battle of Hogwarts kiss still too, but we've already had a peak there.

I was also upset that when Ron mentioned Ginny during the fight seen, that Harry did not get more specific and repeat that he was worried about "Ginny" too! All that in context with the Harry/Hermione dance shortly there after was, well.... expected. <_<

By this point I've learned to love the books and the movies together and separatedly, but since I love Harry and Ginny so much sometimes it does get me upset.

I find myself getting upset to.

I would've loved if they showed that, maybe even just before he saw the sliver doe, you know, just to show people that he still thinks of her. And totally agree, he should've acknoledge her when Ron mentioned it, just like the book.

With the dance scene, I actually rather liked it. And while I agree with many that think it was a cute brotherly/siterly scene, I believe it also kind of shows that remote possibility that they could be together if it wasn't for Ron and Ginny, and I don't mean it like they are the bad people of the movie :P You know, you kind of see that when they stop, Hermione's face quickly falls because well, Harry's not Ron.

But anyway, this is about Harry and Ginny. I really really really hope we can see her as his last thought before he dies, because when I read that it really hit me. I mean, I knew he loved her but that was like wow! I hope we can see a glimpse of that, she's always been like the light at the end of the tunnel, you know, like won't be taking part of this journey because that's for him and Ron and Hermione but she's part of the normal and happy life he always wished for.

I'm getting to poetic :P

I would've loved if they showed that, maybe even just before he saw the sliver doe, you know, just to show people that he still thinks of her. And totally agree, he should've acknoledge her when Ron mentioned it, just like the book.

With the dance scene, I actually rather liked it. And while I agree with many that think it was a cute brotherly/siterly scene, I believe it also kind of shows that remote possibility that they could be together if it wasn't for Ron and Ginny, and I don't mean it like they are the bad people of the movie :P You know, you kind of see that when they stop, Hermione's face quickly falls because well, Harry's not Ron.

But anyway, this is about Harry and Ginny. I really really really hope we can see her as his last thought before he dies, because when I read that it really hit me. I mean, I knew he loved her but that was like wow! I hope we can see a glimpse of that, she's always been like the light at the end of the tunnel, you know, like won't be taking part of this journey because that's for him and Ron and Hermione but she's part of the normal and happy life he always wished for.

I'm getting to poetic :P

I agree with you Anna about the final movie and wanting to see Harry's last thought before he dies, being of Ginny. That would be an extremely powerful and emotional expression of their feelings for one another, and would make up for many of the percieved deficientcies that DH Part I had when it came to giving a true sense for the Harry/Ginny relationship (esp. by this point of the series).

:o I almost forgot about that part! I hope they include it. I'm thinking there may be a montage of scenes similar to in OotP which show the people Harry loves most, but then again they may cut that as well and just concentrate on the impact of him actually 'dying'. However, if they do show that and make Hermione his anyone else his last thought (ESPECIALLY Hermione) rather than Ginny, I will hunt someone down and kiss someone's a*s. Yes I will. :)

:o I almost forgot about that part! I hope they include it. I'm thinking there may be a montage of scenes similar to in OotP which show the people Harry loves most, but then again they may cut that as well and just concentrate on the impact of him actually 'dying'. However, if they do show that and make Hermione his anyone else his last thought (ESPECIALLY Hermione) rather than Ginny, I will hunt someone down and kiss someone's a*s. Yes I will. :)

Did you mean kiss or kick Katharine? Because that response seriously made me laugh for a good 3 minutes straight! :rofl:

I used to be a little worried about getting on your bad side... but now not so much... I mean, who's afraid of an a$s kisser? :doh::P

Edited by Peter Pumpkinhead

Did you mean kiss or kick Katharine? Because that response seriously made me laugh for a good 3 minutes straight! :rofl:

I used to be a little worried about getting on your bad side... but now not so much... I mean, who's afraid of an a$s kisser? :doh::P

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am actually nearly crying with laughter.

Yes, Jon, I meant kick. I can't believe I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing it out :P