#41 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ah sorry for double post, but i'm such a huge fan of Harry and Ginny as well as Ron and Hermione. Is there any updates with these two as far as the last movie goes?

#42 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Mood::Happy =)
  • LocationLooking for Loooove in the Room of Requirement! ;)

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Ah sorry for double post, but i'm such a huge fan of Harry and Ginny as well as Ron and Hermione. Is there any updates with these two as far as the last movie goes?

I'm kind of wondering about that too Jade. I know the focus is on Ron and Hermione but I REALLY want the best aspects of the Harry and Ginny relationship to shine through in the final film. They have a kiss too... although we've already caught the highlights of it... but what I'm MOST hoping for is that Harry's final thoughts before he goes to die are about Ginny. That was such a moving and wonderful part of the books, but the movie dynamic has never quite captured the magic (no pun intended) of the Harry/Ginny relationship that the books held for me. I can't wait for the Harry and Ginny love story in the final film, as it takes on an even great presence, esp. with the epilogue.
Posted Image

Beautiful Emma Watson St. Patrick's Day signature graphic and icon by BoMa
special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#43 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Okay, so what did people think to H/G in DH2?

Personally, I loved them in this movie and could not have faulted it. I didn't even mind Harry not thinking of Ginny in his final moments, because it didn't seem fitting to the pace and the strength and feeling of their relationship was conveyed very clearly, IMO, throughout the rest of the movie. Clearer than ever, I think.

Ginny as a character was portrayed as the fierce, brave, independent woman that book Ginny is. She fought for Harry and for others, and did not constantly need his attention. I think their kiss in this movie, whilst short, summed up their relationship perfectly. Ginny was there fighting with and for Harry, but she also gave him the space to do what he needed to do. She understood him. The two simple words after their kiss, 'I know', as they ran off to fulfil their seperate roles, demonstrated this perfectly, IMO.

Movie-H/G has never matched up to the books for me, but in this film I honestly could not have asked for more. In fact, I felt their relationship was more prominent in the movie than in the book, but that may just be my initial feeling. Dan and Bonnie too, whilst they don't really have a natural chemistry, both stepped up a lot in their performances, I think.

As for their epilogue, I loved how Ginny just had to look at Harry to encourage him to speak to Albus. I love how H/G are able to communicate so much non-verbally, both in book and film. That's why H/G works, IMO: Ginny is able to make her mark distinctly without being too present all the time. It's subtlety is so beautiful.

I'm gushing now, so I'll shut up. :P Sorry for the sentimental rant. I'd love to hear all your thoughts :)
Posted Image

Katharine. Atheist. Vegetarian. HP Fanatic.
Dumbledore's Woman Through And Through :)

My Fanfiction - Harry Potter and the Broken Pieces

#44 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:56 AM

OMG Katharine! :sob: I can't believe I find myself not agreeing with you for once! :o :sob:

I posted my opinions on this is the Rupert Emma thread where I gave my general review of the movie and my reveiw of H/G in the final movie is pretty harsh.

I DID desperately STILL want to see Harry thinking of Ginny before he went off to the forest to face Voldemort, and it was one of the few disapointments I had with the final movie as a whole.

Otherwise, the kiss looked WORSE to me than it did in the previews actually and Bonnie just seemed so stiff in her acting. I was really tough on Bonnie in my review. Unfortunately the whole Harry Ginny relationship througout and esp. this last movie, summed up one of my greatest disapointments with the entire series. :( I did not get the sense of a strong women who was standing beside Harry, but rather the sense of an aloof, distant and awkward girl who reminded me much more of Harry/Cho post Harry/Cho kiss then of the Ginny/Harry that I read about. <_<
Posted Image

special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#45 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:53 AM

Well that's just not good enough! :tongue0020: :sob: :P

It's funny. Whilst I still stand by my own post, I agree with a lot of yours too :P

I agree that the kiss looked better in the previews, and the actual 'contact' moment wasn't the best kiss I've ever seen, but what I liked about it was that it was a brief, in-the-middle-of-a-war kind of thing before they rushed off in opposite directions to fulfil their individual roles.

And I also agree that H/G have been probably THE biggest disappointment of the series for me, which is why I was expecting so little of them in this film (as Ginny is barely present, after all) and was therefore blown away by the marked improvement in their portrayal. Still nowhere near book quality of course, but I can almost live with movie-H/G after this film.
Posted Image

#46 Hogwarts Lover

Hogwarts Lover

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Mood::In love with Harry,Ron,Hermione and Yanni Voices
  • LocationHagrid's hut

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

True love! I just can say it and I love them like Ron and Hermione!!! :excited: :3m_sie: :blush: :yesyes: :ohyeah:

Posted Image

Made by me! ;)

#47 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

^ Welcome aboard the ship! Come to think of it... where are the rest of our crewmates? :(

I miss this pairing. So so much.
Posted Image

#48 Hogwarts Lover

Hogwarts Lover

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationHagrid's hut

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

^ Welcome aboard the ship! Come to think of it... where are the rest of our crewmates? :(

Thank you soooooooo much!!!

Posted Image

Made by me! ;)

#49 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

True love! I just can say it and I love them like Ron and Hermione!!! :excited: :3m_sie: :blush: :yesyes: :ohyeah:

WELCOMEEE!!!

I'm back! Sorry I added to the deadness in this one and Ron and Hermione. D: Conversation just lacked!!! D:

#50 Hogwarts Lover

Hogwarts Lover

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationHagrid's hut

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

@Jade: Thanks !!!! :ohyeah:

Posted Image

Made by me! ;)

#51 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Good to have you back Jade!

I know, hardly anyone seems to be around anymore... particularly since there's not a lot new to discuss. I miss this plaaace.
Posted Image

#52 Hogwarts Lover

Hogwarts Lover

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationHagrid's hut

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I found this AMAZING gif!!! :3m_sie: :excited: :ohyeah:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made by me! ;)

#53 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

Of course one of Harry's greatest attributes in handling the emense pressures and expectations of being the chosen one was his humility and the fact that he was not big headed or all about bravado and self promotion. Which to me is remarkable in a way. Here was someone who came from a life where he was ignored, and merley an afterthought, the victim of an abusive upbringing. Then Harry was thrust into a situation where he became the center of attention and instead of basquing in the glow of the limelight, he never fully embraced the celebrity status that was heaped upon him. Right from the get go he had a sense of perspective and the very real feeling that his celebrity status was not earned. Of course the direct reason for his celebrity was also the underpinings of his greatest pain.

Ginny saw all this and new all this from an early age. It's interesting to me in that she kind of fell in love with Harry twice. The first time, she fell into an almost kind of puppy love with the celebrity Harry Potter, but she NEEDED to fall out of that puppy love if she was ever going to fall in love with him properly for who he was. The second time she fell in love it was the real deal, and it took Harry some time to catch up.

Harry's puppy love came in the form of Cho. A beautiful and popular girl, who was emotionally soft and once he saw that softness (which is not meant to be a slight at Cho, it's just who she was) he realized how shallow those feelings were, as that was not a quality he admired. Harry then fell for another beautiful and popular girl in Ginny, but this girl had more emotional strength, and the shared experience of having had her mind effected by Lord Voldemort. She also exhibited the bravery that Harry had exhibited himself time and again. Harry owed his very life to the brave act of a women (his mother Lily) so it's no surprise that he would so value bravery in his eventual wife.

sorry if this just rehashed a lot of stuff I've already said. :doh:

There was something I was thinking about in regards to Ginny's displays of bravery tonight that I don't think I'd considered a "brave act" neccessarily before, but in fact it really was. When Ginny tried to flush away Tom Riddle's diary and release herself from the grip of Lord Voldemort's influence, it was a remarkable display of strength from such a young girl, and in retrospect could have really been one of the early hints that this girl was going to be a force in Harry's life going forward.

The more I think about the Harry/Ginny relationship as it was represented in the books, the more I love it and embrace it. I guess I can take some solace in the fact that I wasn't the only late-comer to the Harry/Ginny ship. It took Harry a while to see it too. :puh:
Posted Image

#54 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

^ Maaan, I miss your posts!

Beautifully said. I love the insight about flushing away the diary, I'm not sure I've ever really thought of it like that before, but indeed it was quite a remarkable act of strength and control. It's funny, because Ginny has been criticised in the past (don't get me started, lol) for her weakness in pouring her heart out to the diary. But actually, whether you consider that a weakness or not, the fact that she was able to overcome that and recognise it for what it was is quite remarkable in someone so young. The diary being so close to her, and such a source of comfort as it must have been, it must have taken a great deal of courage and will to allow Ginny to recognise that something which had appeared to be there for her was not in fact a positive thing, and to let go of that comfort in order to do what was right. In fact, perhaps in a way flushing the diary was symbolic of Ginny first attempting to let go of her own naivety, by recognising what was real. Perhaps through this she also lost a large part of her initial crush on hero-Harry, and through her ordeal with the diary and Harry's involvement in its final destruction enabled Ginny not only to grow up considerably herself, but also to appreciate Harry for who he really was, rather than his celebrity status.
It's ironic really, that through trying to destroy Harry, Voldemort inadvertently managed to bring him closer to those he loved, which ultimately helped bring about his own destruction.
Posted Image

#55 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

^ Maaan, I miss your posts!

Beautifully said. I love the insight about flushing away the diary, I'm not sure I've ever really thought of it like that before, but indeed it was quite a remarkable act of strength and control. It's funny, because Ginny has been criticised in the past (don't get me started, lol) for her weakness in pouring her heart out to the diary. But actually, whether you consider that a weakness or not, the fact that she was able to overcome that and recognise it for what it was is quite remarkable in someone so young. The diary being so close to her, and such a source of comfort as it must have been, it must have taken a great deal of courage and will to allow Ginny to recognise that something which had appeared to be there for her was not in fact a positive thing, and to let go of that comfort in order to do what was right. In fact, perhaps in a way flushing the diary was symbolic of Ginny first attempting to let go of her own naivety, by recognising what was real. Perhaps through this she also lost a large part of her initial crush on hero-Harry, and through her ordeal with the diary and Harry's involvement in its final destruction enabled Ginny not only to grow up considerably herself, but also to appreciate Harry for who he really was, rather than his celebrity status.
It's ironic really, that through trying to destroy Harry, Voldemort inadvertently managed to bring him closer to those he loved, which ultimately helped bring about his own destruction.

Katharine, you truly said some of the things I was thinking in my last post but couldn't put into words. I miss the responses I get from you and vida on my shipping posts, the insights you two give are truly amazing to me. The idea that Ginny was flushing away her naivete with the diary is a simply brilliant observation and very apropo I believe. When you mentioned that this may have been the moment where she lost some of that intial crush on Harry, that is beautifully stated and exactly what I had wanted to, but failed to say in my previous post. It's funny too, because here Ginny COULD have viewed Harry as a hero and become even more infatuated with him, but her experience gave her a perspective and perhaps the very real sense that heroic acts don't always have a perfect shine, but often come out of loss and always out of struggle. Ginny lost her innocence in a way when her thoughts were violated by Tom Riddle. She gained something too though. Ginny gained the knowledge of what heroism is and what it takes. This was a pivitol moment for her to see that Harry was not just hype, but substance. We've all likely been guilty of falling in love with out perceptions of someone or something. The lucky among us, get to fall in love with someone of real substance, and whether or not they fall in love with us, we are better people from that. Those relationships are the ones in which we grow. Ginny and Harry's relationship needed to have that moment, as difficult as it was, to ever suceed.

Katharine, you have on a few occasions now brought up an illusion to old arguments concerning Ginny, which was something I never experieced, having come late to the Harry Potter fandom. I've heard lots of talk about the grief that Ron sometimes took from Harry/Hermione fans, but I never knew that Ginny ever faced the same character defamation from portions of the HP fandom.
Posted Image

#56 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Gah, I miss these discussions. Where is Vida? *searches through a crowd of happy shippers* I can't see her. :sob:

Yes, I agree completely! (When do I not? lol) The destruction of the diary was very much a turning point for Ginny, through which she lost some of her youthful perceptions and learned some of the harsher realities of life. I think Ginny grew up here just as much, if not moreso, as Ron grew up when he stabbed the locket. Albeit they had different issues to overcome, but both were forced to do so through a bad experience, one made worse by a horcrux which attacked used their emotional vulnerability to its advantage, and both of them had to find the strength within themselves to recognise this and do something about it. I love Weasleys. :blush: And you're right, that event really formed not only the first real connection between Ginny and Harry in circumstance and as people, it also gave Ginny the opportunity to understand Harry as a person, from which she could fall in love with him properly, forgetting her initial crush.

Sadly, yes, Ginny was in the past degraded as much, if not more than Ron in the 'Shipping Wars'. Whilst the treatment of Ron may be more prominent due to the apparently greater numbers of staunch R/Hr shippers than H/G shippers (and thus the main 'battle', if you will, tending to be between H/Hr and R/Hr, at least in my experience), he did usually at least still regain a certain level of acknowledgement (though undeservedly low) from certain parties due to being Harry's best friend and a member of the trio. Ginny, however, could be, and very much was, slated as much as was desired. I will add that in both cases this was not by all members of opposing ships, and 'our side' weren't blameless either, but some among them could be particularly 'militant'.

As much as I miss the activity and debate of the old days, one positive thing to come from the series ending has been the opportunity given for so many people to reread and rediscover the characters, enabling Ron, Ginny and more to gain more of the appreciation and love they deserve.
Posted Image

#57 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Gah, I miss these discussions. Where is Vida? *searches through a crowd of happy shippers* I can't see her. :sob:

Sadly, yes, Ginny was in the past degraded as much, if not more than Ron in the 'Shipping Wars'. Whilst the treatment of Ron may be more prominent due to the apparently greater numbers of staunch R/Hr shippers than H/G shippers (and thus the main 'battle', if you will, tending to be between H/Hr and R/Hr, at least in my experience), he did usually at least still regain a certain level of acknowledgement (though undeservedly low) from certain parties due to being Harry's best friend and a member of the trio. Ginny, however, could be, and very much was, slated as much as was desired. I will add that in both cases this was not by all members of opposing ships, and 'our side' weren't blameless either, but some among them could be particularly 'militant'.

As much as I miss the activity and debate of the old days, one positive thing to come from the series ending has been the opportunity given for so many people to reread and rediscover the characters, enabling Ron, Ginny and more to gain more of the appreciation and love they deserve.

Vida is in our hearts Katharine! Now where is a dang deluminator when we need one? :tongue0020:

Katharine, this slides a bit off topic perhaps but is a question that is really eating at me. Do you think that the ire directed towards Ron and Ginny by some in the past was a product of the movies once they were released? From my line of thinking the relationships between ALL the key characters was represented differently in the movies from how it was represented in the books. Ron and Harry didn't share the same bond in the movies. Harry and Hermione shared a stronger bond in the movies. Ginny and Harry were the closest to sharing the same bond, but some key Ginny/Harry "moments" were also cut, a la Harry's thinking of (a memory scene perhaps could have been included) Ginny last before he set off to face Valdemort in the forrest.

Crumb, I seriously have more questions about this, but have to leave for work right now. >.< ugh

Great point btw about how time and perspective effect all of our opinions of the relationships, as we re-read the books and re-watch the films.
Posted Image

#58 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

I don't think it was a product of the movies alone, in general, but I don't think the movies were entirely blameless. Perhaps some people preferred the dynamics they saw in the movies and tried to apply it to canon. But tbh I think a lot of the hatred towards Ron and Ginny, although horrifically mischaracterised in places in the movies, was mainly due to certain shippers focussing on the characters' flaws and blowing them out of proportion into something which defined them (whilst completely ignoring the flaws of their favoured characters,I may add)in order to fuel their own arguments. I think for those fans who watched the movies first, the movies must have naturally swayed their perceptions of characters and relationships, and as such it is understandable that some people saw the movie-canon as actual canon. But there were also shippers who had read the books first and were just as vehement in their hatred, so I guess it's a bit of a mixed bag.
I'm not sure I've reached a conclusion there, but I'm tired lol.
Posted Image

#59 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't think it was a product of the movies alone, in general, but I don't think the movies were entirely blameless. Perhaps some people preferred the dynamics they saw in the movies and tried to apply it to canon. But tbh I think a lot of the hatred towards Ron and Ginny, although horrifically mischaracterised in places in the movies, was mainly due to certain shippers focussing on the characters' flaws and blowing them out of proportion into something which defined them (whilst completely ignoring the flaws of their favoured characters,I may add)in order to fuel their own arguments. I think for those fans who watched the movies first, the movies must have naturally swayed their perceptions of characters and relationships, and as such it is understandable that some people saw the movie-canon as actual canon. But there were also shippers who had read the books first and were just as vehement in their hatred, so I guess it's a bit of a mixed bag.
I'm not sure I've reached a conclusion there, but I'm tired lol.

I watched the first four movies before I ever read any of the books and I still became a Ron/Hermione shipper and later a Harry/Ginny shipper, so I guess it really IS determined a lot by our own personalities and by the traits that we are predisposed to appreciating in someone else. I will say for the Harry/Hermione proponents that they were automatically in a more defensive stance once the story had been written. I imagine that once it was obvious that things were headed the way of H/G and R/Hr, that's why the shipping wars really quieted down a lot. I won't harp on this issue though. Sorry about beating a tired topic. :doh:

When I watched the second Harry/Ginny kiss in the second Deathly Hallows movie two days ago, I realized that I may have been a bit unfairly critical of it much earlier in this thread. Much like HP readers often wondered about the decision to have the Ron and Hermione kiss happen during the middle of a wizarding war, the movie likewize had the second Harry/Ginny kiss take place in the midst of battle. I think in that sense, the kiss was appropriate and not over-done or over indulged in by Harry or Ginny. The place where a "more intimate" kiss scene may have been inserted was early in DH 2 when George walks in on Harry and Ginny during a private moment. One of the disapointments I'll always have with the movies, as much as I DID enjoy them was the fact that the directors dropped the ball in regards to the large communities of viewers who were emotionally invested in the character relationships and expected more passion from the kiss scenes. I do realize too, that there was the element of a child's audience to consider, but the kiss scenes could have been filmed from somewhere other than behind the heads of the characters imo. >.<

omg all I did was complain during this post. lol
Posted Image

#60 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Actually, right up until DH came out there was a large amount of adament H/Hr shippers. Even after the final book came out, there were certain individuals who refused to accept the canon ships. That's why there was a lot of hard feeling - for most R/Hr shippers that I know, it was not so much the preference for a non-canon pairing which was the issue, but the astonishing amount of outright denial of the way canon had gone, or was heading. Don't worry about bringing it up - I'm certainly happy to talk as much as you like on the issue. I'm just very careful of upsetting anyone by bringing it up again. However, the majority of the shippers currently active on this forum joined us, I believe, post-DH, so hopefully it won't offend anyone.

I agree that the character relationships have been the most disappointing area of the movie adaptations for me. I also agree on your point about the camera angles etc for the kiss scenes. In actual fact, the DH2 kiss between H/G is pretty much the only one I have actually been satisfied with, probably because it was an addition with no book comparison. As you've said, I think it was appropriate given their situation in the midst of battle. It was a nice moment after their previous two kisses I felt were not done justice in the movies. I don't dislike the H/G relationship in the movies, but as with most of the characters/relationships, it is quite different, IMO, from the one in the books.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users