The Emma-Watson.net Forum

How do you publicly display your faith?

As far as Im aware, people of all religions are told to publicly display their faith to everyone.

I want to know what people do to do so.

For me its everything, I wear a really simple necklace with a cross on it. Its very plain so it doesnt look like a fashion statement. A lot of my t-shirts show, in some form of way, Christian references. Although its not directly a sin, I dont swear and a lot of people notice that.

What I want to do is get a tattoo dedicated to God's love, Mainly 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 written out in full and the quote "Love has risen". I love sharing my faith and beliefs with other people.

So Emma Watson Forum! how do you show your faith/belief in public?

And do you feel like you show it enough? What could you do to show it more?

Edited by Joe O'Connor

I don't publicly display what my creed is; no one needs to know. For me, my religion and faith is between me and Jesus Christ. I do not like to bring up my faiths and beliefs to anyone else really. I'm not really the evangelistic type.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you†- (Matthew 6:5-6)

I don't publicly display what my creed is; no one needs to know. For me, my religion and faith is between me and Jesus Christ. I do not like to bring up my faiths and beliefs to anyone else really. I'm not really the evangelistic type.

This. Except obviously not the Jesus part since I'm Jewish lol. Also, we don't believe in being a missionary so that too.

I make the air-Cross-thingy lol (y'know the Cross sign with the 3 fingers, forehead, stomach, right, left) every time i pass outside of a Church. And sometimes i wear a Cross. That's pretty much it.

Greek Orthodox right? I was reading this little random thing about the difference between Eastern and Western Christians. The Western Christians go left then right when making the sign of the cross.

...isn't it supposed to be heart, not stomach? :huh::P

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Greek Orthodox right? I was reading this little random thing about the difference between Eastern and Western Christians. The Western Christians go left then right when making the sign of the cross.

...isn't it supposed to be heart, not stomach? :huh::P

True! I've noticed! The Western also, kiss their hands in the end as well?

hahaha correct, my bad :P It's just that most of the time my hand goes more below than the heart place so yeah i always use stomach when i describe it xD

Actually we do kiss the hand at the end when doing it.

My parents do that sign whenever they're driving down the road and pass by a Catholic church. I used to but have since stopped. I don't even wear a crucifix around my neck anymore... reasons being a combination of what I stated above and that I've misplaced it somewhere.

Actually we do kiss the hand at the end when doing it.

My parents do that sign whenever they're driving down the road and pass by a Catholic church. I used to but have since stopped. I don't even wear a crucifix around my neck anymore... reasons being a combination of what I stated above and that I've misplaced it somewhere.

I perfectly agreed with what you stated above. It's just that one day i passed outside of a Church next to my atheist friend and i felt really embarrassed to do my cross, because i thought he'd make fun of me etc etc etc. And then i kept feeling regrets like, why should i be ashamed for something i really love and believe in? So after this day i always do that. It's not like i want to show to everyone that i'm a Christian, i just feel nice doing it. When i pray however, i always do it silently and in my room.

I perfectly agreed with what you stated above. It's just that one day i passed outside of a Church next to my atheist friend and i felt really embarrassed to do my cross, because i thought he'd make fun of me etc etc etc. And then i kept feeling regrets like, why should i be ashamed for something i really love and believe in? So after this day i always do that. It's not like i want to show to everyone that i'm a Christian, i just feel nice doing it. When i pray however, i always do it silently and in my room.

I like this post lol.

Hmmm. Thats real intersting.

Ive always grown up not being afraid to show it (Not saying you lot are!). Its real interesting hearing that you guy are a lot less "out" with it!

I love being open with my faith, I like people knowing that Im a Christian. It shocks a lot of people when they find out actually! haha.

But Im not one of those crazy bible bashing people telling people theyre going to hell! Neither do I hold signs that say God hates fags! Just when the opportunity arises I jump at the chance! haha

Hahahahahahaha Not as much as I like yours!!!! Aw I missed you!!!

haha awwwh missed you too darling <3

We can spam this thread with our off topic public affection and then Karen will be upset and yell at us.. but nahhh we're good grown ups! :ph34r:

@Joe, I wouldn't say I am not open about my faith. I am, I just get nervous to be the one to say,"oh hey I'm Jewish". You never know how people are going to react. But, I am open to talk about it with anyone and answer any questions!!! I wear a Jewish star. I have a ring with Hebrew on it. I just don't publicize as much as others might.

@Dina, aw yay!!! Hahahah I was going to say the same thing!

I knew I worded that wrong! I guess I mean a lot less........ flamboyant? about it, if you know what I mean?

Wearing the Jewish Star is cool, because people can identify that with your belief!

Hahaha yea that's a good word!!!

Thanks, yeah definitely.... Just like wearing a cross!!!

Thanks, yeah definitely.... Just like wearing a cross!!!

Kiiinda. It annoys me that the cross has become such a "mainstream" piece of jewelry. So many people have a cross somewhere with the rest of their jewelry. Its kind of lost its meaning. Thats why I chose to get a simple 2" silver cross that doesnt have any other designs with it.

Jewish Star? I've seen people wear that... along with bell-bottom pants, Jewfro hair, roller skates. :P j/k sry I was just watching Austin Powers: Goldmember.

haha. I actually have a Jewish Star necklace! haha

@Joe, me too!!!! Like, I can walk into forever 21 and there are tons of like fashion necklaces with crosses on them. And, to me, it makes the whole wearing a cross idea meaningless. When so many people treat it as just an everyday accessory it's bad. Like, you should wear a cross because of your religion. It should mean something g to you! Not just be a fashion item. But, that's just my feeling behind it. Like, with rappers wearing diamond studded huge crosses... Totally destroys the whole point!

And, why do you have a Jewish star necklace?! Jw...

@Jeremy, ha ha ha very funny :rolleyes:

Edited by Arie

Long and unusual story!

Me and my mates started up a thing called MHK (Morrinsville Hardcore Kids). We got the idea from my mate who lives in Whakatane (WHK for short), they turned it into Whakatane Hardcore Kids. We made MHK and we needed a logo (Obviously! :rolleyes:), and out of nowhere we chose the Star Of David, it stuck and my mate even got the star tattooed on the back of his neck :lostit:.

Any way, mum saw a Star of David necklace and brought it for me.

And THAT is why I have the necklace!

Long and unusual story!

Me and my mates started up a thing called MHK (Morrinsville Hardcore Kids). We got the idea from my mate who lives in Whakatane (WHK for short), they turned it into Whakatane Hardcore Kids. We made MHK and we needed a logo (Obviously! :rolleyes:), and out of nowhere we chose the Star Of David, it stuck and my mate even got the star tattooed on the back of his neck :lostit:.

Any way, mum saw a Star of David necklace and brought it for me.

And THAT is why I have the necklace!

That's so random!!!! Lol hahahah but a good story!

OH MY GOSH. I love this topic more than I can explain and reading it has been FASCINATING. Thank you, Joe! OK so, I've always thought the Bible said that people should worship quietly, in a "closet" (not a literal closet of course, just the metaphor for alone time), so I've never really brandished my faith about. I used to wear a cross every day but I only do it sporadically now.

I never crossed myself when passing a church or a cemetary, it was just something that I never grew up with so never did. Sometimes I cross myself when an ambulance goes by, but usually I just say a silent prayer.

Yeah so the difference between the eastern and western cross....I actually learned about it from watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants LOL. In the second movie lena goes to her grandma's (grandpa's? I forget) funeral and she goes forehead, stomach, right shoulder, left shoulder and I was like O.o, because for westerners it's left then right. I asked my uncle mike about it (supercatholic) and he explained it to me but I forget the official explanation.

I'm not one to push their faith on others. If I feel like someone needs a spiritual hand, I do what I can to step in and guide them, but I don't go up to people and say CONVERT OR BURN. CONVERTTTTTTTTTTT!!! RAWRRRR JLWDEKJGFKDSJNGKENG *explodes*. No, no. I try to lead myself and my faith in a quiet manner and I don't do things for show. Ya know?

@Joe, Cool!!!! So weird still that you picked a jewish stae lol. I am like laughing so hard because its so weird for me!

@Karen, I love when you post!!! lol. Hahahaha @traveling pants!!! And I totally agree!!