The Emma-Watson.net Forum

How do you publicly display your faith?

@Joe, me too!!!! Like, I can walk into forever 21 and there are tons of like fashion necklaces with crosses on them. And, to me, it makes the whole wearing a cross idea meaningless. When so many people treat it as just an everyday accessory it's bad. Like, you should wear a cross because of your religion. It should mean something g to you! Not just be a fashion item. But, that's just my feeling behind it. Like, with rappers wearing diamond studded huge crosses... Totally destroys the whole point!

And, why do you have a Jewish star necklace?! Jw...

What really annoys me is when kids, particularly those into the whole hip-hop scene, wear Rosary beads as necklaces coupled with wife-beater shirts and sagging pants and their boxers hanging out. Those beads are used to pray the Rosary, not wear it around cause it makes you look gangsta. Most of these kids don't even know what they're for. They prolly saw someone else wearing it and thought that it looks bad-ass. I just want to smack each one in the face and give them mega wedgies for not wearing belts.

I don't go around shouting about my religious beliefs, very rarely attend church, just like to have a one to one chat with God sometimes.

Agree with some of the other comments, about religious symbols being hijacked as fashion accessories.

I know a guy who is really up front about his faith, hands out leaflets, etc. Got nothing against him, he does it his way, I do it my way. All credit to those of you who show your faith in public.

talking about the rosary beads is really interesting because it seems like something so holy, people shouldn't mess with, you know?

I was with 2 friends from work, and we were going out to dinner and we were having a really passionate discussion about christianity and while we are all christians, we are different denominations. I told them how I was raised catholic and I mentioned the word "eucharist" and they were like what is that? etc. and I said it is the "body" of christ. and we started talking about it and I said that transitioning to congregationalism wasn't hard for me and not eating the eucharist every week wasn't hard either because I had never had that strong of a connection with it. and they were like if it were me, I wouldn't even want to mess with it, you know? because it is SO holy. I'd never thought of it that way before and talking about the rosary and the symbolism reminded me of it and of the power of religious symbols. I digressed, but I think I have a point? lol

talking about the rosary beads is really interesting because it seems like something so holy, people shouldn't mess with, you know?

I was with 2 friends from work, and we were going out to dinner and we were having a really passionate discussion about christianity and while we are all christians, we are different denominations. I told them how I was raised catholic and I mentioned the word "eucharist" and they were like what is that? etc. and I said it is the "body" of christ. and we started talking about it and I said that transitioning to congregationalism wasn't hard for me and not eating the eucharist every week wasn't hard either because I had never had that strong of a connection with it. and they were like if it were me, I wouldn't even want to mess with it, you know? because it is SO holy. I'd never thought of it that way before and talking about the rosary and the symbolism reminded me of it and of the power of religious symbols. I digressed, but I think I have a point? lol

Thats a really good point!!! Its like why we only write G-D and don't say his real name ect. Its too holy for us. You know? I totally agree, why mess with it?

You both raise good points, but you have to remember that people dont have any respect for religion anymore.

Its become the uncool, waste of time thing to do.

Why refrain from saying something when you have no respect from where it comes from? Its really sad when you hear 8yr olds blaspheming.

I could never say anything (on purpose) to insult any ones belief, but sadly not everyone thinks the same anymore.

You both raise good points, but you have to remember that people dont have any respect for religion anymore.

Its become the uncool, waste of time thing to do.

Why refrain from saying something when you have no respect from where it comes from? Its really sad when you hear 8yr olds blaspheming.

I could never say anything (on purpose) to insult any ones belief, but sadly not everyone thinks the same anymore.

Hmm to look at it, it seems that you're right. Of course, I'm sure there are SOME people who still have respect for religion but again, you're right in the fact that it is the "uncool" thing. Many comments are made out of ignorance and thinking that religion is for losers, etc. I was at my school's Corsair Fair (where all the clubs line up to show what they have, etc, just like a big...outdoor club market. you know? I'm so tired, I can't phrase what I mean. just all the school organizations, clubs, etc) and I was sitting with Sister Madeline for Catholic Campus Ministry and I heard some students walk by and were like hahahaha catholics, blah blah blah. It really hurt to be on that end of the microscope and I'd never been made fun of for my faith before. I mean, of course I take all religious jokes in stride and even I think they're funny, but those are JOKES. this was just disdain for anything religious. It really hurt.

Crap, I lost my original point. Remind me never to post whilst being really tired again. But yeah, you're right Joe. it is so hard to find people that respect religion nowadays, even people that are religious that don't respect other people's belief systems. However, it is really cool to see a bunch of kids worshipping and praying at a fellowship meeting or youth meeting (for whatever religion) and although it might not be the "cool" thing to do, it is something very powerful.

Yeah, even just a few years ago it was different. People that didnt believe in a religion still never bagged it. But now they attack at any given chance. Its become really sad now. And then I get attacked when I tell them I dont agree with Evolution. It really makes me sad that kids nowadays are growing up without any understanding of other beliefs.

And yes its so cool to see youth praising God at youth groups. The response is always incredible!

I agree with this point as well!!!

religion is so "uncool" these days!!!! So many of my friends are not observant anymore because it's just not cool. It bother me! But, at the same time ido understand it. It's ridiculously impossible to be an observant Jew lol.

It really bothers me that people are so openly rude about religion! Both of your stories are so sad!!! But, I always think back to something my mum used to say. She was a teacher, and all the teachers would eat lunch together in the staff room. She said many of the other teachers used to make fun of her kosher food or say rude things like,"oh you can eat that?" (in a mock surprised tone). In the beginning it really bothered her. But, then she realized that most of the people who made these jokes were unobservant Jews. Meaning, her being observant made them feel both uncomfortable and guilty. My friends and I often feel that non-Jews are SOOOOOO much more understanding then non-observant Jews. Because the non-observant just feel uncomfortable and guilty. So they poke fun often!

The same could be said in both of your cases. Those kids probably felt so guilty and uncomfortable in the presence of a nun, Karen. And maybe the same could be said for those who attack you Joe? Just a thought lol.

I guess that instead of assuming that people are mean ect. We should try and fit in to their shoes? Maybe next time one of my non-observant friends makes fun of me I should talk to her instead. Find out why she is poking fun. Find out if it is because she is uncomfortable and explain why I am the way I am. That seems a bit better then just being angry, right? Idk, I just think it's something I am going to try from now on!

I do think that a lot of people are so hostile toward religion because they know that there is something out there and are guilty. When ever I get insulted I always question them, they normally have no idea about any of it which makes me laugh a bit. But I wish people would give it some research before making a decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a pentacle ring and keep certain crystals on my person to cleanse myself. That's about. I'm not really all that flashy about being wiccan outside of speech. I will tell people of my faith but only if it comes up in conversion.

People have no respect anymore. If you are going to debate something or try to understand one another, it should be done with respect as much as possible. It's hard though when people.. uh, sheesh, I dunno how to say it. Cause I have had some harsh things said to me back when I was an atheist and now when I have come back into my faith. It's just ... I wish people would think before they spoke and just loved each other. We need peace in this world. I value education and peace. That's it. Ya know? I dunno.

John 13:35- "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

That is how I publicly display my faith.

I like this a lot by the way. Very nice verse. You are focusing on the positive.

Edited by wunderbar

People have no respect anymore. If you are going to debate something or try to understand one another, it should be done with respect as much as possible. It's hard though when people.. uh, sheesh, I dunno how to say it. Cause I have had some harsh things said to me back when I was an atheist and now when I have come back into my faith. It's just ... I wish people would think before they spoke and just loved each other. We need peace in this world. I value education and peace. That's it. Ya know? I dunno.

Damn straight my man. I know what you mean 100%

I wear a pentacle ring and keep certain crystals on my person to cleanse myself. That's about. I'm not really all that flashy about being wiccan outside of speech. I will tell people of my faith but only if it comes up in conversion.

I like the idea about the crystals, that seems very practical and a small little thing to stay on track during the day.

I agree about the respect thing. I wish people knew how to spread love instead of hate and judgement. Saying something nice and saying something hateful takes the same amount of effort but saying something nice makes you (and the other person) feel so much better.

We kind of strayed off topic though, lets bring it back. Displaying faith doesn't just have to be a physical, material thing; I think we've established that. Displaying faith is how you act in every day life as well as what you wear. I think the better question is, and we've seemed to have moved on towards this one just by the flow of conversation, "how do you represent your faith?"

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, although it is an old topic. However, it's been interesting because I've been thinking about the material aspects of faith and women covering themselves, like religious dress. Muslim women wear the hijab, orthodox jewish women wear a tichel, wigs, or a snood to cover their hair. Some Christian women (mennonites, amish) dress very modestly and cover their hair.

As a christian woman, I believe in modesty and I try to cover myself up as much as possible. I've been thinking about covering my hair and I even bought some scarves and tried it out but I still haven't come to a decision and the reason is this: in the Bible, it says, "for man looks upon outward appearances, and the Lord looks on the heart". So for me, it shouldn't matter completely what you wear (although I still think it's important to try to dress at least somewhat modestly) but rather what is on your heart.

So yeah, I'm a bit tired so idk if this all makes sense, but I've pretty much just been thinking about the physical aspects of public display of faith - we know most muslim women by their hijab, and we can tell some Jewish women and men from their dress. What is there to show for a Christian person? I've decided that my actions are what make me, and because there are many bad portrayals of Christians in the media. I try every day to do good things, little things, in order to try to show who I am as a person.

I think it's very interesting, the material aspects of displaying faith. Thoughts?

and because there are many bad portrayals of Christians in the media.

I just wanted to comment on this specific sentence and say that in my opinion i think that these days Christianity is at war. The media tries to humiliate it much more than any other religion. But that's of course a totally different subject.

As for the covering part I believe clothing doesn't show who you are and how much you love God. I'm sorry but i know my dear God won't care if i show my hair or if i wear a Metallica tee-not saying that i should run around naked, there are boundaries.

If a woman WANTS to cover her hair, i'm all for it. If a woman WANTS to wear these large clothing that reveals no skin because she wants it, i'm all for it. I just find it unfair when women are TAUGHT from a young age that they MUST be covered because they sexually provoke men and that they will be pointed at if they don't.

Appearance shouldn't count. People shouldnt judge by what they see. I mean trust me i bet there are a lot of people who dress modestly, wearing big crosses/or hijabs/or w.e and they could be no religious at all.

I just wanted to comment on this specific sentence and say that in my opinion i think that these days Christianity is at war. The media tries to humiliate it much more than any other religion. But that's of course a totally different subject.

As for the covering part I believe clothing doesn't show who you are and how much you love God. I'm sorry but i know my dear God won't care if i show my hair or if i wear a Metallica tee-not saying that i should run around naked, there are boundaries.

If a woman WANTS to cover her hair, i'm all for it. If a woman WANTS to wear these large clothing that reveals no skin because she wants it, i'm all for it. I just find it unfair when women are TAUGHT from a young age that they MUST be covered because they sexually provoke men and that they will be pointed at if they don't.

Appearance shouldn't count. People shouldnt judge by what they see. I mean trust me i bet there are a lot of people who dress modestly, wearing big crosses/or hijabs/or w.e and they could be no religious at all.

mmhm, that's what I mean. I think women cover for different reasons and I think the topic is very diverse. Plenty of women have differing opinions because of it, as well. I agree that there could be many people who say they are a certian religion or faith system and don't act like it at all. So, appearances can be deceiving, I think we all know that.

As I quoted, God looks on the heart while people look on physical appearences. For me personally I think it's important that I present myself in a manner befitting to who I see myself as. I respect myself, and I respect God, so I want to portray myself the best that I can. I used to wear low shirts, etc, but I don't anymore because I realize that it reflects who I am and how I am seen, whether I like it or not. I also now believe that my body is mine, and my future husbands. That doesn't give others a right to see me. So I try to dress nicely and fairly conservatively. I don't do it FOR men, and I think a lot of women don't do it for men either. I think they do it for themselves :)

• 4 weeks later...

As a christian woman, I believe in modesty and I try to cover myself up as much as possible. I've been thinking about covering my hair and I even bought some scarves and tried it out but I still haven't come to a decision and the reason is this: in the Bible, it says, "for man looks upon outward appearances, and the Lord looks on the heart". So for me, it shouldn't matter completely what you wear (although I still think it's important to try to dress at least somewhat modestly) but rather what is on your heart.

Why? Where does Christ require modest dress? He formed Us naked, and We are indeed born naked. Be glad that You inhabit such a work of art as Your own body. :)

~Revan

Why? Where does Christ require modest dress? He formed Us naked, and We are indeed born naked. Be glad that You inhabit such a work of art as Your own body. :)

~Revan

+1 i totally agree.

I mean like i said if a woman-or a man for that matter- wants to cover themselves because they feel better that way and all, i'm all for it. But i don't like it when they say God makes us cover ourselves, or the Bible says it because it's a sign of modesty etc. We should not be ashamed or afraid to show our body. Of course not in a provocative way.

+1 i totally agree.

I mean like i said if a woman-or a man for that matter- wants to cover themselves because they feel better that way and all, i'm all for it. But i don't like it when they say God makes us cover ourselves, or the Bible says it because it's a sign of modesty etc. We should not be ashamed or afraid to show our body. Of course not in a provocative way.

Well, everyone has their own opinion on it. For myself personally, I choose what I want to be shown and I'm not comfortable with showing a lot of skin; that's just how it is for me. In the Bible it says that the man looks on outward appearance, and the Lord looks on the heart, and this is true. I just don't want my clothing to get in the way of my actions...you know? If I dress very provocatively my actions will probably go unnoticed because of my clothing. People will look at my body instead of what I do, and I don't want it to be that way at all.

Everyone has their own level of comfort with clothing, and I would personally prefer to be more covered than less covered. For me, that's one of the ways I define myself as a christian. When I put my body on display, I'm taking attention away from what really matters - God - and I don't want to do that.