Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

Long and unusual story!
Me and my mates started up a thing called MHK (Morrinsville Hardcore Kids). We got the idea from my mate who lives in Whakatane (WHK for short), they turned it into Whakatane Hardcore Kids. We made MHK and we needed a logo (Obviously! :rolleyes:), and out of nowhere we chose the Star Of David, it stuck and my mate even got the star tattooed on the back of his neck :lostit:.
Any way, mum saw a Star of David necklace and brought it for me.

And THAT is why I have the necklace!

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#22 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

Long and unusual story!
Me and my mates started up a thing called MHK (Morrinsville Hardcore Kids). We got the idea from my mate who lives in Whakatane (WHK for short), they turned it into Whakatane Hardcore Kids. We made MHK and we needed a logo (Obviously! :rolleyes:), and out of nowhere we chose the Star Of David, it stuck and my mate even got the star tattooed on the back of his neck :lostit:.
Any way, mum saw a Star of David necklace and brought it for me.

And THAT is why I have the necklace!

That's so random!!!! Lol hahahah but a good story!

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#23 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

Posted Image

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#24 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

OH MY GOSH. I love this topic more than I can explain and reading it has been FASCINATING. Thank you, Joe! OK so, I've always thought the Bible said that people should worship quietly, in a "closet" (not a literal closet of course, just the metaphor for alone time), so I've never really brandished my faith about. I used to wear a cross every day but I only do it sporadically now.

I never crossed myself when passing a church or a cemetary, it was just something that I never grew up with so never did. Sometimes I cross myself when an ambulance goes by, but usually I just say a silent prayer.

Yeah so the difference between the eastern and western cross....I actually learned about it from watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants LOL. In the second movie lena goes to her grandma's (grandpa's? I forget) funeral and she goes forehead, stomach, right shoulder, left shoulder and I was like O.o, because for westerners it's left then right. I asked my uncle mike about it (supercatholic) and he explained it to me but I forget the official explanation.

I'm not one to push their faith on others. If I feel like someone needs a spiritual hand, I do what I can to step in and guide them, but I don't go up to people and say CONVERT OR BURN. CONVERTTTTTTTTTTT!!! RAWRRRR JLWDEKJGFKDSJNGKENG *explodes*. No, no. I try to lead myself and my faith in a quiet manner and I don't do things for show. Ya know?
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#25 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

@Joe, Cool!!!! So weird still that you picked a jewish stae lol. I am like laughing so hard because its so weird for me!

@Karen, I love when you post!!! lol. Hahahaha @traveling pants!!! And I totally agree!!

thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#26 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:14 AM

Haha, I dont know why I chose it either!

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#27 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

@Joe, me too!!!! Like, I can walk into forever 21 and there are tons of like fashion necklaces with crosses on them. And, to me, it makes the whole wearing a cross idea meaningless. When so many people treat it as just an everyday accessory it's bad. Like, you should wear a cross because of your religion. It should mean something g to you! Not just be a fashion item. But, that's just my feeling behind it. Like, with rappers wearing diamond studded huge crosses... Totally destroys the whole point!
And, why do you have a Jewish star necklace?! Jw...

What really annoys me is when kids, particularly those into the whole hip-hop scene, wear Rosary beads as necklaces coupled with wife-beater shirts and sagging pants and their boxers hanging out. Those beads are used to pray the Rosary, not wear it around cause it makes you look gangsta. Most of these kids don't even know what they're for. They prolly saw someone else wearing it and thought that it looks bad-ass. I just want to smack each one in the face and give them mega wedgies for not wearing belts.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#28 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

Oh mate! Im with you. My mate, not Catholic, wears Rosary beads. But he wears them because of normal crosses being over used

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#29 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:07 AM

Don't wear them unless you're a nun or monk... don't wear them unless you intend to pray the Rosary... even then, it's in your hands not around your neck.

Well that's my rant for the day...
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#30 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:21 AM

haha.
I understand my mates point though

Edited by Joe O'Connor, 01 August 2011 - 02:26 AM.

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#31 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

Totally agree!!!!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#32 Emmas Friend

Emmas Friend

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

I don't go around shouting about my religious beliefs, very rarely attend church, just like to have a one to one chat with God sometimes.

Agree with some of the other comments, about religious symbols being hijacked as fashion accessories.

I know a guy who is really up front about his faith, hands out leaflets, etc. Got nothing against him, he does it his way, I do it my way. All credit to those of you who show your faith in public.
E-sister - Madeline

#33 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

talking about the rosary beads is really interesting because it seems like something so holy, people shouldn't mess with, you know?

I was with 2 friends from work, and we were going out to dinner and we were having a really passionate discussion about christianity and while we are all christians, we are different denominations. I told them how I was raised catholic and I mentioned the word "eucharist" and they were like what is that? etc. and I said it is the "body" of christ. and we started talking about it and I said that transitioning to congregationalism wasn't hard for me and not eating the eucharist every week wasn't hard either because I had never had that strong of a connection with it. and they were like if it were me, I wouldn't even want to mess with it, you know? because it is SO holy. I'd never thought of it that way before and talking about the rosary and the symbolism reminded me of it and of the power of religious symbols. I digressed, but I think I have a point? lol
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#34 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

talking about the rosary beads is really interesting because it seems like something so holy, people shouldn't mess with, you know?

I was with 2 friends from work, and we were going out to dinner and we were having a really passionate discussion about christianity and while we are all christians, we are different denominations. I told them how I was raised catholic and I mentioned the word "eucharist" and they were like what is that? etc. and I said it is the "body" of christ. and we started talking about it and I said that transitioning to congregationalism wasn't hard for me and not eating the eucharist every week wasn't hard either because I had never had that strong of a connection with it. and they were like if it were me, I wouldn't even want to mess with it, you know? because it is SO holy. I'd never thought of it that way before and talking about the rosary and the symbolism reminded me of it and of the power of religious symbols. I digressed, but I think I have a point? lol

Thats a really good point!!! Its like why we only write G-D and don't say his real name ect. Its too holy for us. You know? I totally agree, why mess with it?

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#35 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

You both raise good points, but you have to remember that people dont have any respect for religion anymore.
Its become the uncool, waste of time thing to do.
Why refrain from saying something when you have no respect from where it comes from? Its really sad when you hear 8yr olds blaspheming.
I could never say anything (on purpose) to insult any ones belief, but sadly not everyone thinks the same anymore.

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#36 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

You both raise good points, but you have to remember that people dont have any respect for religion anymore.
Its become the uncool, waste of time thing to do.
Why refrain from saying something when you have no respect from where it comes from? Its really sad when you hear 8yr olds blaspheming.
I could never say anything (on purpose) to insult any ones belief, but sadly not everyone thinks the same anymore.

Hmm to look at it, it seems that you're right. Of course, I'm sure there are SOME people who still have respect for religion but again, you're right in the fact that it is the "uncool" thing. Many comments are made out of ignorance and thinking that religion is for losers, etc. I was at my school's Corsair Fair (where all the clubs line up to show what they have, etc, just like a big...outdoor club market. you know? I'm so tired, I can't phrase what I mean. just all the school organizations, clubs, etc) and I was sitting with Sister Madeline for Catholic Campus Ministry and I heard some students walk by and were like hahahaha catholics, blah blah blah. It really hurt to be on that end of the microscope and I'd never been made fun of for my faith before. I mean, of course I take all religious jokes in stride and even I think they're funny, but those are JOKES. this was just disdain for anything religious. It really hurt.

Crap, I lost my original point. Remind me never to post whilst being really tired again. But yeah, you're right Joe. it is so hard to find people that respect religion nowadays, even people that are religious that don't respect other people's belief systems. However, it is really cool to see a bunch of kids worshipping and praying at a fellowship meeting or youth meeting (for whatever religion) and although it might not be the "cool" thing to do, it is something very powerful.
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

#37 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Yeah, even just a few years ago it was different. People that didnt believe in a religion still never bagged it. But now they attack at any given chance. Its become really sad now. And then I get attacked when I tell them I dont agree with Evolution. It really makes me sad that kids nowadays are growing up without any understanding of other beliefs.

And yes its so cool to see youth praising God at youth groups. The response is always incredible!

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#38 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:10 AM

I agree with this point as well!!!

religion is so "uncool" these days!!!! So many of my friends are not observant anymore because it's just not cool. It bother me! But, at the same time ido understand it. It's ridiculously impossible to be an observant Jew lol.

It really bothers me that people are so openly rude about religion! Both of your stories are so sad!!! But, I always think back to something my mum used to say. She was a teacher, and all the teachers would eat lunch together in the staff room. She said many of the other teachers used to make fun of her kosher food or say rude things like,"oh you can eat that?" (in a mock surprised tone). In the beginning it really bothered her. But, then she realized that most of the people who made these jokes were unobservant Jews. Meaning, her being observant made them feel both uncomfortable and guilty. My friends and I often feel that non-Jews are SOOOOOO much more understanding then non-observant Jews. Because the non-observant just feel uncomfortable and guilty. So they poke fun often!

The same could be said in both of your cases. Those kids probably felt so guilty and uncomfortable in the presence of a nun, Karen. And maybe the same could be said for those who attack you Joe? Just a thought lol.

I guess that instead of assuming that people are mean ect. We should try and fit in to their shoes? Maybe next time one of my non-observant friends makes fun of me I should talk to her instead. Find out why she is poking fun. Find out if it is because she is uncomfortable and explain why I am the way I am. That seems a bit better then just being angry, right? Idk, I just think it's something I am going to try from now on!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#39 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

I do think that a lot of people are so hostile toward religion because they know that there is something out there and are guilty. When ever I get insulted I always question them, they normally have no idea about any of it which makes me laugh a bit. But I wish people would give it some research before making a decision.

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#40 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

But I wish people would give it some research before making a decision.

Seconded

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users