#41 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mood::Love
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

John 13:35- "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

That is how I publicly display my faith.
Who I am is not important; only my message is.

Slytherin House

#42 Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Energetic member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

I wear a pentacle ring and keep certain crystals on my person to cleanse myself. That's about. I'm not really all that flashy about being wiccan outside of speech. I will tell people of my faith but only if it comes up in conversion.

I could never say anything (on purpose) to insult any ones belief, but sadly not everyone thinks the same anymore.

People have no respect anymore. If you are going to debate something or try to understand one another, it should be done with respect as much as possible. It's hard though when people.. uh, sheesh, I dunno how to say it. Cause I have had some harsh things said to me back when I was an atheist and now when I have come back into my faith. It's just ... I wish people would think before they spoke and just loved each other. We need peace in this world. I value education and peace. That's it. Ya know? I dunno.

John 13:35- "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

That is how I publicly display my faith.

I like this a lot by the way. Very nice verse. You are focusing on the positive.

Edited by wunderbar, 19 August 2011 - 12:32 PM.

Be true to yourself even when others do not understand.
Posted Image
PSN: rejecteddemo :: Steam :: Tumblr :: Deviant Art

#43 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

People have no respect anymore. If you are going to debate something or try to understand one another, it should be done with respect as much as possible. It's hard though when people.. uh, sheesh, I dunno how to say it. Cause I have had some harsh things said to me back when I was an atheist and now when I have come back into my faith. It's just ... I wish people would think before they spoke and just loved each other. We need peace in this world. I value education and peace. That's it. Ya know? I dunno.

Damn straight my man. I know what you mean 100%

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#44 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

I wear a pentacle ring and keep certain crystals on my person to cleanse myself. That's about. I'm not really all that flashy about being wiccan outside of speech. I will tell people of my faith but only if it comes up in conversion.

I like the idea about the crystals, that seems very practical and a small little thing to stay on track during the day.

I agree about the respect thing. I wish people knew how to spread love instead of hate and judgement. Saying something nice and saying something hateful takes the same amount of effort but saying something nice makes you (and the other person) feel so much better.

We kind of strayed off topic though, lets bring it back. Displaying faith doesn't just have to be a physical, material thing; I think we've established that. Displaying faith is how you act in every day life as well as what you wear. I think the better question is, and we've seemed to have moved on towards this one just by the flow of conversation, "how do you represent your faith?"
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#45 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, although it is an old topic. However, it's been interesting because I've been thinking about the material aspects of faith and women covering themselves, like religious dress. Muslim women wear the hijab, orthodox jewish women wear a tichel, wigs, or a snood to cover their hair. Some Christian women (mennonites, amish) dress very modestly and cover their hair.

As a christian woman, I believe in modesty and I try to cover myself up as much as possible. I've been thinking about covering my hair and I even bought some scarves and tried it out but I still haven't come to a decision and the reason is this: in the Bible, it says, "for man looks upon outward appearances, and the Lord looks on the heart". So for me, it shouldn't matter completely what you wear (although I still think it's important to try to dress at least somewhat modestly) but rather what is on your heart.

So yeah, I'm a bit tired so idk if this all makes sense, but I've pretty much just been thinking about the physical aspects of public display of faith - we know most muslim women by their hijab, and we can tell some Jewish women and men from their dress. What is there to show for a Christian person? I've decided that my actions are what make me, and because there are many bad portrayals of Christians in the media. I try every day to do good things, little things, in order to try to show who I am as a person.

I think it's very interesting, the material aspects of displaying faith. Thoughts?
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#46 Lady Deadpool

Lady Deadpool

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • Mood::blue
  • LocationMars

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

and because there are many bad portrayals of Christians in the media.

I just wanted to comment on this specific sentence and say that in my opinion i think that these days Christianity is at war. The media tries to humiliate it much more than any other religion. But that's of course a totally different subject.

As for the covering part I believe clothing doesn't show who you are and how much you love God. I'm sorry but i know my dear God won't care if i show my hair or if i wear a Metallica tee-not saying that i should run around naked, there are boundaries.
If a woman WANTS to cover her hair, i'm all for it. If a woman WANTS to wear these large clothing that reveals no skin because she wants it, i'm all for it. I just find it unfair when women are TAUGHT from a young age that they MUST be covered because they sexually provoke men and that they will be pointed at if they don't.
Appearance shouldn't count. People shouldnt judge by what they see. I mean trust me i bet there are a lot of people who dress modestly, wearing big crosses/or hijabs/or w.e and they could be no religious at all.

I'm Yin, Widu is Yang.

Tumblr || Twitter || Instagram

Earth House!

#47 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

I just wanted to comment on this specific sentence and say that in my opinion i think that these days Christianity is at war. The media tries to humiliate it much more than any other religion. But that's of course a totally different subject.

As for the covering part I believe clothing doesn't show who you are and how much you love God. I'm sorry but i know my dear God won't care if i show my hair or if i wear a Metallica tee-not saying that i should run around naked, there are boundaries.
If a woman WANTS to cover her hair, i'm all for it. If a woman WANTS to wear these large clothing that reveals no skin because she wants it, i'm all for it. I just find it unfair when women are TAUGHT from a young age that they MUST be covered because they sexually provoke men and that they will be pointed at if they don't.
Appearance shouldn't count. People shouldnt judge by what they see. I mean trust me i bet there are a lot of people who dress modestly, wearing big crosses/or hijabs/or w.e and they could be no religious at all.

mmhm, that's what I mean. I think women cover for different reasons and I think the topic is very diverse. Plenty of women have differing opinions because of it, as well. I agree that there could be many people who say they are a certian religion or faith system and don't act like it at all. So, appearances can be deceiving, I think we all know that.

As I quoted, God looks on the heart while people look on physical appearences. For me personally I think it's important that I present myself in a manner befitting to who I see myself as. I respect myself, and I respect God, so I want to portray myself the best that I can. I used to wear low shirts, etc, but I don't anymore because I realize that it reflects who I am and how I am seen, whether I like it or not. I also now believe that my body is mine, and my future husbands. That doesn't give others a right to see me. So I try to dress nicely and fairly conservatively. I don't do it FOR men, and I think a lot of women don't do it for men either. I think they do it for themselves :)
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

#48 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mood::Love
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

As a christian woman, I believe in modesty and I try to cover myself up as much as possible. I've been thinking about covering my hair and I even bought some scarves and tried it out but I still haven't come to a decision and the reason is this: in the Bible, it says, "for man looks upon outward appearances, and the Lord looks on the heart". So for me, it shouldn't matter completely what you wear (although I still think it's important to try to dress at least somewhat modestly) but rather what is on your heart.

Why? Where does Christ require modest dress? He formed Us naked, and We are indeed born naked. Be glad that You inhabit such a work of art as Your own body. :)

~Revan
Who I am is not important; only my message is.

Slytherin House

#49 Lady Deadpool

Lady Deadpool

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • Mood::blue
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

Why? Where does Christ require modest dress? He formed Us naked, and We are indeed born naked. Be glad that You inhabit such a work of art as Your own body. :)

~Revan

+1 i totally agree.

I mean like i said if a woman-or a man for that matter- wants to cover themselves because they feel better that way and all, i'm all for it. But i don't like it when they say God makes us cover ourselves, or the Bible says it because it's a sign of modesty etc. We should not be ashamed or afraid to show our body. Of course not in a provocative way.

I'm Yin, Widu is Yang.

Tumblr || Twitter || Instagram

Earth House!

#50 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

+1 i totally agree.

I mean like i said if a woman-or a man for that matter- wants to cover themselves because they feel better that way and all, i'm all for it. But i don't like it when they say God makes us cover ourselves, or the Bible says it because it's a sign of modesty etc. We should not be ashamed or afraid to show our body. Of course not in a provocative way.

Well, everyone has their own opinion on it. For myself personally, I choose what I want to be shown and I'm not comfortable with showing a lot of skin; that's just how it is for me. In the Bible it says that the man looks on outward appearance, and the Lord looks on the heart, and this is true. I just don't want my clothing to get in the way of my actions...you know? If I dress very provocatively my actions will probably go unnoticed because of my clothing. People will look at my body instead of what I do, and I don't want it to be that way at all.

Everyone has their own level of comfort with clothing, and I would personally prefer to be more covered than less covered. For me, that's one of the ways I define myself as a christian. When I put my body on display, I'm taking attention away from what really matters - God - and I don't want to do that.
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users