The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I figure it's time for a new topic in here so I'll start one.

I was wondering if anyone else has to pay school taxes here. First, let me explain what they are. In my high school, an annual school tax in the amount of $35 had to be paid every year for every student going to the school. The funds for the taxes were designed to help in the school in any way possible (i.e. new classrooms, building maintenance, new textbooks etc.) A school policy was put into place by my high school that in order to get our first report card, the $35 school tax had to be paid in full.

So, with that being said, does anyone else have to pay them? If so, do you agree with the school taxes? Do you think the funds go toward what they're actually designed to go toward?

Edited by Turbo

Yeah i had this at sixth form, we had to £50 a term for each student. It went to good use though, and that was obvious by the amount of stuff we got in return. Up to date textbooks/computers/equipment.

Yeah i had this at sixth form, we had to £50 a term for each student. It went to good use though, and that was obvious by the amount of stuff we got in return. Up to date textbooks/computers/equipment.

By sixth "form" you mean like 6th grade? Or is a "form" totally different in England?

6th form is post-16 education

and our schools never had a 'tax' but always asked for donations, I think the suggested level was around £30, but I cannot remember (my uni also asks for donations, bloody cheek!)

they sent a letter out to all the parents at the start of each academic year, but the money was handled confidentially, so if someone couldn't/wouldn't pay the full amount (or at all) there was no way of knowing, but the school was mainly state funded

^ I don't know why it was that amount but they did let families pay it off in installments.hm... I, really have no clue what the school did with the money, I don't remember any mass improvement.