The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Question about the eighth Horcrux

I have a question about Deathly Hallows. It might sound really stupid but me nor my friends knew the proper answer to the question why Harry did not die when Voldemort tried to kill him in the Forbidden Forest. Both he and Dumbledore seemed to be convinced that Harry would have to die, since he was a Horcrux and thus would have to be destroyed.(Dumbledore's really like: "Yes, he must die," in the movie, and then in the scene at King's Cross he's like: "Well you have the choice to return" or something like that) But why was it that he could return to the Forbidden Forest? Was it because he had all of the Deathly Hallows? It's never been clear to me, so I hope someone can help me :).

Edited by Bright_Star

He didn't die basically for the fact that Voldemort only killed the part of his soul that was inside him. In reality he did die for a little while. But then he had the chance to go back or move on to the afterlife and he took that chance to go back. The reason he had the choice to return was because it weren't Harry he killed. The little Voldemort they seen under the bench was the part of Voldemorts soul that was inside him.

I guess you need to read the books to understand because they've missed so much out of the movies I can tell why you're confused.

EDIT: ^No it wasn't because of the stone.

Edited by Hermione

He didn't die basically for the fact that Voldemort only killed the part of his soul that was inside him. In reality he did die for a little while. But then he had the chance to go back or move on to the afterlife and he took that chance to go back. The reason he had the choice to return was because it weren't Harry he killed. The little Voldemort they seen under the bench was the part of Voldemorts soul that was inside him.

I guess you need to read the books to understand because they've missed so much out of the movies I can tell why you're confused.

That's right. Voldemort basically killed part of his own soul when hurling the spell at Harry. I think part of the reason why Harry didn't die might be that the elderwand didn't work perfectly for Voldemort and because it was bound to Harry (Draco Malfoy got the power over it from Dumbledore when using Expelliarmus, and Harry disarmed Draco later on in Malfoy Manor, even if he didn't carry the wand then). Maybe they had to physically destroy the locket etc. because they were mere objects, while Harry is a human with not only Voldemorts, but also his own soul inside of him?

To be honest, I don't think it is that logical to work that way, but it's J.K. Rowling's world :).

Thanks for the reply Jade :). I do believe I've missed loads of the important plotlines in the last three books, really. Don't know where my mind was at while I was reading them :P. I already thought it was something like you wrote.

That's right. Voldemort basically killed part of his own soul when hurling the spell at Harry. I think part of the reason why Harry didn't die might be that the elderwand didn't work perfectly for Voldemort and because it was bound to Harry (Draco Malfoy got the power over it from Dumbledore when using Expelliarmus, and Harry disarmed Draco later on in Malfoy Manor, even if he didn't carry the wand then). Maybe they had to physically destroy the locket etc. because they were mere objects, while Harry is a human with not only Voldemorts, but also his own soul inside of him?

To be honest, I don't think it is that logical to work that way, but it's J.K. Rowling's world :).

Thanks for the reply. What you write does seem logical to me.