The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Beautiful people are more selfish?

So in todays newspaper (metro) there was an article stating that there is new research saying that people with more symmetrical faces are more selfish simply because they are considered more beautiful. They stated Natalie Portman and Brad Pitt as examples of this in the article. According to research people who are beautiful are so considered more healthy.

Personally I don't really know what to think. I think it sounds quite stupid.

What about you guys? What do think?

Discuss!!

I hate labels, labels are for cans, not people. It's true that many people knowing they're beautiful and loved by everyone they tend to be selfish or they tend to show off and brag a lot, but mainly because society itself teaches us every day to only care about looks. I personally have met many beautiful people who are kind and down to earth. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hate labels, labels are for cans, not people. It's true that many people knowing they're beautiful and loved by everyone they tend to be selfish or they tend to show off and brag a lot, but mainly because society itself teaches us every day to only care about looks. I personally have met many beautiful people who are kind and down to earth. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yup yup.

Sounds like something an ugly person would say....

:P

nah I have to agree with whats been said above, you can't label people, yes I've met plenty of beautiful selfish people but I've also met plenty of selfish not so beautiful people as well as lovely people who are also beautiful. You really can't generalise about anyone, whether it be faith, nationality or looks. People can be lovely and people can be horrible, its down to the person that makes them that way though not what they look like or where they come from

couldn't agree more dina!

I have to agree with all of the above posts. I think it's terrible that the society we live in today teaches us nothing but to strive for beauty. We have to have a certain body type, dress a certain way etc. I think we should teach ourselves to love ourselves for who we are and to shower each other with love. Then this world would be a much better place!

I meant to say that "beautiful people are ALSO considered to be more healthy".

Sorry for that little mistake. LOL :P

The media seem to promote the idea, that if you are beautiful, you are a success. Take a look at a magazine stand in a store, most of the pictures and stories, are about attractive film/tv/music stars. To them beauty sells !If you are famous and attractive you are going to get a lot of attention from the media. Thats their business, and thats what they do, like it or not.

In the *real* world we can't all be the perfect specimen of man/woman, but we are beautiful in our own individual way. I don't judge people by what they look like, or how they dress. If they have a nice personality, and they are decent and trustworthy, they will do for me. ;)

The media seem to promote the idea, that if you are beautiful, you are a success. Take a look at a magazine stand in a store, most of the pictures and stories, are about attractive film/tv/music stars. To them beauty sells !If you are famous and attractive you are going to get a lot of attention from the media. Thats their business, and thats what they do, like it or not.

In the *real* world we can't all be the perfect specimen of man/woman, but we are beautiful in our own individual way. I don't judge people by what they look like, or how they dress. If they have a nice personality, and they are decent and trustworthy, they will do for me. ;)

I totally agree with what you just said. It's sad, but true.

I totally agree with what you just said. It's sad, but true.

I don't choose my friends according to their looks I choose to them according to their personalities. They are beautiful on the inside which makes them beautiful on the outside too. I think most people would agree with me on this. :P Or I hope so anyway..

I agree and disagree much like everyone else. I know many people who are stunning and everyone loves them ect.... but they are also the SWEETEST people in the world. I also know beautiful who are extremely stuck up and selfish.

I have to things to add to this discussion:

1. To me EVERYONE is beautiful. And, I am not just talking about looks. I always find something in every person that I find really stunning. I think we should focus more on the beauty that everyone has. Yes, it is more important to focus on someones inside. But, instead of thinking if a person is ugly or pretty. Why not say,"Hmmm what is beautiful about this person?" That's how I am. I think everyone is beautiful on the inside and outside. We just have to think for ourselves instead of how general society thinks.

2. I know a few girls, all different ages, who have been bullied because they are beautiful. So what about them??? We are going to generalize and say every person who is beautiful is selfish? Well, what about the girls I know who have been bullied for being pretty? One girl has just turned 12 and all the girls in her class hate her. None of them will talk to her or be friends with her. One of my closest friends, she was talked about for YEARS. Everyone spread rumors about her. And now? She has terrible depression and anxiety. She can't make new friends because she always thinks people are going to hurt her. What about those people?

I agree and disagree much like everyone else. I know many people who are stunning and everyone loves them ect.... but they are also the SWEETEST people in the world. I also know beautiful who are extremely stuck up and selfish.

1. To me EVERYONE is beautiful. And, I am not just talking about looks. I always find something in every person that I find really stunning. I think we should focus more on the beauty that everyone has. Yes, it is more important to focus on someones inside. But, instead of thinking if a person is ugly or pretty. Why not say,"Hmmm what is beautiful about this person?" That's how I am. I think everyone is beautiful on the inside and outside. We just have to think for ourselves instead of how general society thinks.

2. I know a few girls, all different ages, who have been bullied because they are beautiful. So what about them??? We are going to generalize and say every person who is beautiful is selfish? Well, what about the girls I know who have been bullied for being pretty? One girl has just turned 12 and all the girls in her class hate her. None of them will talk to her or be friends with her. One of my closest friends, she was talked about for YEARS. Everyone spread rumors about her. And now? She has terrible depression and anxiety. She can't make new friends because she always thinks people are going to hurt her. What about those people?

On your first point. WOW!! I truly admire you for this quality. It makes YOU beautiful, but it also makes you into a great rolemodel and a great example of how good citizen SHOULD be. From now on I will follow your example. Thank you for being such a great human being ;) :3m_sie:

On your first point. WOW!! I truly admire you for this quality. It makes YOU beautiful, but it also makes you into a great rolemodel and a great example of how good citizen SHOULD be. From now on I will follow your example. Thank you for being such a great human being ;) :3m_sie:

Aw wow your so sweet!!! Thank you so much!!! I just really can't stand all the negativity in the world. And, I can't change anyone else. So instead I try my hardest to be the best person I can be! But, really thank you so much!!! I was having a bad day and your post really cheered me up!

The trouble today is that everyone is treated as a stereotype, we are all put into groups.

People are put in these groups, because of the way they dress/behave, or their age.

It is partly our own fault, Kids moan about wearing a school uniform , but when they are out at the weekend, they all look the same. Jeans, trainers, baseball caps, etc. Different groups/ages of people follow their own fashion. Then they are acting like a stereotype, and put in a group.

I'm as guilty as the next man, we conform to our society. We most probably all know someone , who acts/dresses, a bit different to the rest of us, and they are usually labelled a weirdo.

I think we should all try to be a bit more of an individual, even if it means some people making fun of us.

i loved this arie this was just perfect <3

Arie, I couldn't agree with you more.

One of my friends was bullied because she was beautiful. The girl who was putting her down wanted to hook up or something with this guy who liked my friend, so out of jealousy she would spread stupid rumors and stuff. It came to the point where she would make up really awful stuff about what that guy "said" about my friend.

Aw wow your so sweet!!! Thank you so much!!! I just really can't stand all the negativity in the world. And, I can't change anyone else. So instead I try my hardest to be the best person I can be! But, really thank you so much!!! I was having a bad day and your post really cheered me up!

Glad I could help. I honestly and truly really do admire you for this quality!

X :D

Couldnt have said it better myself, i second this

We all try to make the best of our looks, but at the end of the day, everybody sees us in a different way, and has different opinions about us. So it boils down to personality, and the way you treat others. I don't like being told by the media, who is beautiful, I can make my own mind up, thank you. :puh: