The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Beautiful people are more selfish?

@Sarah, aw thanks hun!!! <3

@Sammy, Yay for agreeing with me!! lol. And, I am so sorry to hear about your friend!! It makes me so mad that people can be so jealous. My friend was tortured much like yours. Its just awful and breaks my heart! My friend ended up switching schools and then when she was tortured at that school she moved away. She has been back since, but she is still so scared of people. :(

@I.SetFire2TheRain, Thank you so much! That means a lot to me!

@ShipOfFools, Not true... I am only 19 and I have believed this my whole life! So have most of my friends! I don't know many people who base everything of looks. Mostly because I don't associate myself with those people. But, you can't base it on age. There are plenty of people your age and older who still base everything around looks.

@Sarah, aw thanks hun!!! <3

@Sammy, Yay for agreeing with me!! lol. And, I am so sorry to hear about your friend!! It makes me so mad that people can be so jealous. My friend was tortured much like yours. Its just awful and breaks my heart! My friend ended up switching schools and then when she was tortured at that school she moved away. She has been back since, but she is still so scared of people. :(

@I.SetFire2TheRain, Thank you so much! That means a lot to me!

@ShipOfFools, Not true... I am only 19 and I have believed this my whole life! So have most of my friends! I don't know many people who base everything of looks. Mostly because I don't associate myself with those people. But, you can't base it on age. There are plenty of people your age and older who still base everything around looks.

Acttly arie you can't base it on Age!!

beatuy is at any age!!

like someone said on here oh yeah that was Dina

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

We all try to make the best of our looks, but at the end of the day, everybody sees us in a different way, and has different opinions about us. So it boils down to personality, and the way you treat others. I don't like being told by the media, who is beautiful, I can make my own mind up, thank you. :puh:

I totally agree with you on this one. Everyone's taste is different so you could never please everyone. Why is it up to the media (or one person at school..) to decide if someone is pretty or not??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The more physically attractive you are, the more genetically superior you are assumed to be. This causes people to view you in a much more flattering light, even making it more likely that strangers will help you in a crisis.

Wait, it Gets Worse...

You know how when the hot girl at the bar tells an unfunny joke, all the guys laugh anyway? Or when the office stud makes a mistake, the female boss laughs it off?

Attractive people live in a world where most feedback they get is bullshit. The compliments mean nothing--they've learned that's just the sound people make when they walk by. That's why studies show they tend to dismiss the genuine compliments they get in other areas (their work, personality, sense of humor, creativity) because it gets lumped in with the same counterfeit flattery they've been getting their whole lives.

The upshot of all this is that this treatment can easily result in narcissism or worse, the appearance or narcissism. If you thought that no one really cared about you and the only reason people were nice to you was because of the way you looked and not who you were, wouldn't you just say "Fuck everybody else, I'm looking out for Number One."?

Agree with what most of you said. And about the topic I do believe there are people who are more selfish because they look good. I remember one girl at my school who was drop dead gorgeous, everyone liked her and wanted to be around her, but that was basically only because she looked so good. So I can imagine that she started to use her good looks to get around, and I don't remember her being especially nice at all. I do believe some very good looking people rely on their good looks, instead of "improving" their personality, of course it happens. It's very individual, there are all kinds of combinations of course. :)

• 4 weeks later...