The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Best time to make a Christmas cake

I've decided I'm making a Christmas cake this year, I've found plenty of recipes and am going to soak the fruit the day before as lots of recipes have had this tip.

All I want to know really is when is the best time to bake it, I'm thinking October time, but would it be nicer or not as nice if I started it now. I know you have to feed it every few weeks with brandy after making. Just can't decide when to start it

My lecturer started soaking his Christmas Cake with Brandy about 6 months before but that's a proper Christmas Cake. You have just over 4 months to get it soaked.

I'm thinking if it's your first I'd start around October 1st. If you're unsure this time. Next year if you want to make one and whether how good this years tasted, I'd start adding on the months to soak it. :)

I hope that helped. :D

Edited by Hermione

Its a fruit cake, you bake it at least a few months before hand and have to make holes in it every few weeks and add a bit of Brandy, it keeps the cake and makes it mature so it also tastes nicer.

I'll have to see when I have some spare time. Most of the recipes say to do it in October, really I wanted to just check if I did it now it wouldn't be too soon. Don't know when I'll make it, I'll just have to see when I have the time and the ingredients in, as long as its between now and October should be fine :)

^^it sounds wrong doesn't it? But its not a normal cake, like not a fluffy texture sort of cake. It doesnt go bad because the alcohol you feed it with preserves it. Ive read that if you dont use it as long as you start feeding it again a few months before it'll still be good for next christmas, but I dont quite trust that information :/

If you ever get chance to try one (a shop bought one) I would, they do taste really good.

That's a shame, I've cut out a lot of alcohol myself lately, I don't tend to drink it anymore, but I will have it in food every so often. I make a lovely BBQ mince with JD in it and a killer coffee and baileys cake...

• 2 months later...

I've decided I'm making a Christmas cake this year, I've found plenty of recipes and am going to soak the fruit the day before as lots of recipes have had this tip.

All I want to know really is when is the best time to bake it, I'm thinking October time, but would it be nicer or not as nice if I started it now. I know you have to feed it every few weeks with brandy after making. Just can't decide when to start it

In my opinion October is the best time to bake it. Every year i will start from October first. I think its really a good and enough time to start planning for Christmas celebrations. :D

I haven't made one, lol, but we've had a change of plan and spending most of Christmas at other peoples houses (except for morning for santa presents of course) so seemed silly to make one when we can have other peoples :P would be nice to have one for after Christmas but depending on how much I pig out Christmas day and boxing day I might have to get seriously back on a diet :P

• 1 year later...