The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emetophobia has been gaining more and more attention recently (it has here, at least). For those who don't know what it is: emetophobia is an intense and irrational fear pertaining to vomiting (more or less quoting Wikipedia.) People who suffer from emetophobia cannot stand seeing others throw up or hear of others that they feel sick. Most of them also cannot stand it when they feel sick themselves or throw up. They often try to push away the tendency to throw up; some adult patients say they haven't thrown up since they were very small.

If people with emetophobia realise they are in a situation in which they might throw up or might see someone else throw up, they panick, start trembling or sweating and try to get out.

I myself have an above average fear of throwing up. I remember that when I was very little, my cousin, who was in the same class as I, once threw up at school, and I walked away and didn't want to go back to the classroom anymore. Also, when someone close to me tells me he/she feels sick, I start panicking and thinking: oooh, hope he/she doesn't throw up, and I find it hard to concentrate on something else, especially when I'm alone with that person.

Emetophobia doesn't control my entire life. There are some people for whom it does though.

Does anyone have stories to share about this? Do you have emetophobia or do you know someone who has it? I know it's not the most "appetizing" subject, but it is quite underexposed so I thought I might try to ask for your attention for it :).

Edited by Bright_Star

I have many stories because my boyfriend has it. When we used to heavy drink I'd be the first to vomit everywhere and though he don't vomit when he drinks he'd be vommiting right after. It's not pretty.

Edited by Hermione

i actually suffer from Emet, and have for several years.

i got it when i was about 16 years old and my sister and my grandmother both got the flu. i remember feeling extremely trapped, and i remember trying to remember everything they ever touched. for years after i wouldn't touch anything that they touched while they were sick.

i didn't tell anyone about it for a couple months, but after they had gotten the flu i started constantly worrying that i would get it as well. i didn't eat very often at all because i figured if nothing came in then nothing could come out. also my sister didn't throw up until she ate so i figured if i had the flu then i wouldn't throw up if i didn't eat anything.

i eventually developed stomach problems which made me feel constantly sick all the time. i started getting very scared that i would throw up if i left the house or something. i missed ALOT of school because of this and i had to be homeschooled for the rest of the school year.

i also developed OCD rituals because it made me feel more comfortable and that it would be less likely for me to throw up if i did them all.

i've gotten better over the years but if i do start feeling sick i do go into panic mode and stop eating for i start preforming new or old OCD rituals.

i also passed out at church camp because i saw some people throw up.

as you can see Emet really did take over my life. it does it less now, but it can def impact someone in a horrible way.

I have a friend who has it. People used to make fun of her because they didn't understand how real it is! They just thought she was being a silly girl. Anytime there was ever throw up she had to like run away and get distracted. Sometimes she would even vomit if she heard the words vomit or throw up. Poor girl.

I probably have some aspect of this, as i cant stand people or myself throwing up.

When i feel ill, i try to stop myself from throwing up. i will do everything humanly possible to stop it lol I know where my fear has come from but i rather not talk about it because it has come from my mothers death. But lets put it this way, if i get a virus anytime soon where i am throwing up i think ill have many panic attacks.

I have it, but maybe not all symptoms.

I have a huge phobia of vomiting. I've only thrown up like 3 times as far as i can remember myself. And these 3 times i nearly died because i couldn't breath and i was all panicking and stuff. I haven't thrown up for like 10 years the least, no joke. Just when i have the urge to do it, i'm so scared and i hold it. I just hold it.

However, i don't get scared or weird at the least when i see others throwing up or feeling sick.

I have a friend who has it. People used to make fun of her because they didn't understand how real it is! They just thought she was being a silly girl. Anytime there was ever throw up she had to like run away and get distracted. Sometimes she would even vomit if she heard the words vomit or throw up. Poor girl.

Yeah, many people really feel misunderstood. I myself find it hard to tell others I've got this phobia, sometimes I think they'll find me silly...but most people understand, fortunately :).

I probably have some aspect of this, as i cant stand people or myself throwing up.

When i feel ill, i try to stop myself from throwing up. i will do everything humanly possible to stop it lol I know where my fear has come from but i rather not talk about it because it has come from my mothers death. But lets put it this way, if i get a virus anytime soon where i am throwing up i think ill have many panic attacks.

Aaww, poor you, doesn't sound nice...

I have it, but maybe not all symptoms.

I have a huge phobia of vomiting. I've only thrown up like 3 times as far as i can remember myself. And these 3 times i nearly died because i couldn't breath and i was all panicking and stuff. I haven't thrown up for like 10 years the least, no joke. Just when i have the urge to do it, i'm so scared and i hold it. I just hold it.

However, i don't get scared or weird at the least when i see others throwing up or feeling sick.

D: Doesn't sound nice either, I can't imagine myself holding it...I guess it doesn't feel very nice...

I don't think I suffer from it, but I haven't barfed for 4 years so maybe I do?

I could imagine it being a really terrible thing to live with!

Don't you think that's just because you haven't been sick for 4 years?

D: Doesn't sound nice either, I can't imagine myself holding it...I guess it doesn't feel very nice...

Ιt feels pree' awefull. I feel i'm sweaty y'know with this cold sweat and i feel dizzy and numb as i'm about to faint. But i'm kinda used to it. I always eat some bread, because bread holds the fluids in the stomach and then i lye down. I feel better after a while.

Don't you think that's just because you haven't been sick for 4 years?

Well I can't remember if I'm afraid of doing it because I cant remember the last time I was in a situation where I was close to throwing up

I wouldn't say I suffer from a phobia, but I haven't threw up for 4-5 years even if I'm sick or feel like I'm gonna be. I just don't like to do it, so I quit. And I have been sick so it felt like I needed it several times during the years.

I know if someone throws up, I throw up, every time.

I might suffer from this. But who likes to see someone throw up?

Nobody likes it of course :), but some people react more heavily to it than others. There are children who decide not to have children because of pregnancy nausea or because of the fact that children might throw up as well and that they'd have to help them. It can be that bad :(.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend has some sort of a parasite in his stomach. He got it when we lived in Uganda and he was still there...something like 7 years ago. It's almost been ten years and every month he has a day where he just...barfs. It used to be worse though - he used to be sick every other day, it slowed down to a week and now, like I said it's once a month. I think he'll probably have to go through that his whole life because it hasn't stopped. He was recently sick about a week ago. So, the poor guy has thrown up countless times in his life >.< even before the parasite, he was a kid who barfed easily xD

I think I've been sick at least 9 times in my life. :ph34r: It's obviously not a pleasant experience, but I have a fairly strong stomach and can handle other people puking.

Another friend of mine had just done some strenuous exercise in P.E, drowned a full bottle of water, and before we knew it she was sick right in front of me. And it didn't even bother me much O.o

The when I was in Zanzibar on a school trip, we went out in the ocean on little boats on a day when the weather was terrible. Pretty much half the people in my boat were throwing up. I didn't know why I wasn't getting sick :mellow:

Reading in a vehicle makes me feel nauseous, but I've never been car sick before.

Well I guess I'm lucky that it doesn't really bother me seeing ppl throw up.

Throwing up myself was always for a good reason and while the feeling certainly isn't pleasant, I remember thinking it would probably help with the situation. It usually did. So thumbs up for me for vomiting. Sort of. :doh:

Well I guess I'm lucky that it doesn't really bother me seeing ppl throw up.

Throwing up myself was always for a good reason and while the feeling certainly isn't pleasant, I remember thinking it would probably help with the situation. It usually did. So thumbs up for me for vomiting. Sort of. :doh:

I'm the same, if I feel sick and my stomach doesn't feel right, being sick usually helps me feel better. It's a rubbish moment when actually being sick, but I know it will benefit me in the long run.

i dont like seeing others throw up, but it doesnt make me throw up. I (luckily) havee quite a strong stomach and immune system, so i rarely vomit, i usually vomit when i have a virus. there was this one time where i had a 48hr bug, i hadnt eaten anythinng in a day, but i still vomited, there was no actual vomit though, just hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) that continued for about 3hrs, but then it stopped and i recovered..

Nobody likes it of course :), but some people react more heavily to it than others. There are children who decide not to have children because of pregnancy nausea or because of the fact that children might throw up as well and that they'd have to help them. It can be that bad :(.

Thats exactly what im thinkg about.I hate seeing people throw up,but dont react that heavily.

To some extend,emetophobia may develop stomach problems.I dont get used to the food in France.During my stay in Lyon,alotta my friends threw up,which made me have the sypton kind of like emetophobia.Then I was reluctant to eat.It was really painful.

• 12 years later...