The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I am sort of shocked that no one made this thread yet! I have been hearing only things about the hurricane this whole weekend. I have tons of family in friends in ny and they are all extremely worried! New York city has completely shut down. 370,000 people have been evacuated!! This is the biggest hurricane they have had in that area in 125 years. They are expecting an insane amount of damage. I just pray that everyone stays safe!!! I pray as well for any of the members on here who live in that area!

i live in Virginia and it came right towards us yesterday. it wasn't that bad. we didn't loose power until 10pm and my street is the only one in the neighborhood who doesn't have power -_- it wasn't so bad at all though.

just got news from my cousin. Irene is in Jersey right now, and she's lost pretty much everything. her basement is filled with water and it's reaching the first floor.

she also lives on a hill so it's really shocking.

here's a picture of her front yard..

302270_275787952447272_100000482095166_1128590_5194550_n.jpg

breaks my heart ;( pray for them please!

just got news from my cousin. Irene is in Jersey right now, and she's lost pretty much everything. her basement is filled with water and it's reaching the first floor.

she also lives on a hill so it's really shocking.

here's a picture of her front yard..

302270_275787952447272_100000482095166_1128590_5194550_n.jpg

breaks my heart ;( pray for them please!

I will pray for them!!! Everyone I know in the area is without power. They are saying it could take weeks for everyone to get power back!! We know a few weddings that where supossed to happen today in ny and nj. So sad. A few of my friends houses have flooding. Its pretty scary!!!

For all the people who think this isn't a big deal:

Here's a look at where some of the damage stands:

It appears the storm claimed at least 15 lives, but that number is far from final. Among those killed: An 11-year-old Virginia boy crushed when a tree fell on his home. The tally on injuries is not yet known. A New Jersey firefighter remains in critical condition after a rescue effort.

Officials said it will take time to get a handle on damage costs but some early estimates put the total at $7 billion to $20 billion. 

Millions of residents remain without electricity up and down the East Coast. It is expected to take days -- possibly more than a week -- to restore all the power. In some Connecticut towns, 90% to 100% of customers were without power.

Thousands of commuters remain stranded after some airports canceled all flights. The affected routes are just beginning to get back online with some flights resuming out of Washington, D.C. Operators of other modes of transportation in the Northeast -- train, bus and subway service -- were grappling to ramp up once more. New York City's subways remained shuttered, however, until further notice, raising the possibility of a nightmare Monday morning commute.

Widespread flooding continues to be a problem, as does the rain. Irene is dumping up to a dozen inches on the Northeast, a region that also already seen an unseasonably wet year so far. Oversaturated ground will mean the downing of more trees and power lines -- and the potential for more deaths. 

Source- LA times

My guardians were driving me back to college today and there was a lot of water in quite a few places. They seriously could have been lakes. We had a power outage as well, but it's recently come back...at least where I am it has.

The hurricane, luckily enough, didn't hit the Carolinas as bad as it did in the New England states. It seemed as if it was just mostly wind when it hit the Caroinas, but when it got up north, it brought the rain with it. I hear the death toll is now over 30.

I lost power Sunday afternoon and it didn't come back until tonight. Needless to say I wasn't really happy about it, however it could have been a lot worse, since the worst case scenario was looking like no power until the upcoming weekend.

Philadelphia news claims Irene was one of the top 5 worst storms its ever had. The city is still covered in water, but not as much as the past few days. And we just got our power back last night, though I heard a few cities/counties got their power before yesterday. There's still a few hundred homes (besides Philly) who are still without power and PECO claims they're working on it before the weekend, but otherwise most of Pennsylvania is doing all right.

Personally, I didn't think it was going to be that bad and it wasn't the first day the storm arrived. But it got pretty bad, I had my dad keep me company. All my roomates were out of town visiting relatives, so I was left in charge of the house. :doh:

• 12 years later...

Layout table for eligibility information Ages Eligible for Study 18 Years to 65 Years Adult, Older Adult Sexes Eligible for Study All Accepts Healthy Volunteers No priligy seratonin Elevated serum and urine sialic acid levels in renal diseases of childhood