The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Lancôme's Trésor Midnight Rose

I loved it. I love everything with Emma in it! It seemed to be though as they were advertising Emma more rather than the actual product :P

Can't watch it because I'm at work, but I think what you pointed out is basically the problem with advertising a perfume. Potential consumers only get to see the pictures or watch the video from the campaign, not necessarily to smell the fragrance, so to get them to go to their local Sephora and give it a try, you need to have a pretty face, preferably a household name (Nicole Kidman or Keira Knightley for instance... and now Emma) that people (in this case, girls/women) look up to and wouldn't mind looking like a little bit.

There was an interesting article in the FT the other day, about celebrities turning their lifestyles into brands (such as Gwyneth Paltrow with her blog GOOP) and people being enthusiastic about it, because they feel that, by buying certain products that are being used or recommended by a celebrity they like, somehow they can partially attain the lifestyle of such celebrity, or feel a part of it.

How many of us will go and smell "Trésor Midnight Rose" just because Emma is advocating it? I know I will. I may even buy the perfume, who knows? And if I do, it's scary to think that Emma will probably have been 50% of the incentive! As consumers, we can be fairly predictable and influencable...

I don't know if I make sense, but my point was: they have to advertise Emma more than the perfume in order to sell the perfume! If it wasn't the case, any model off the catwalk would do.

Sorry for the rant.

Emma looks stunning..I cant get over how much she has grown up from sweet lil Hermione Granger to this gorgeous, stunning young woman! As for the music-had a hard time playing it on my computer so I dont know about it-was just able to see Emma girl :) But yeah I would buy it just because Emma is advertising it LOL Gee we are not susceptible as fans/consumers are we ;)

I don't know if I make sense, but my point was: they have to advertise Emma more than the perfume in order to sell the perfume! If it wasn't the case, any model off the catwalk would do.

Yeah, you make sense. I think that is true for a lot of advertising. They are selling an image, not the product. "If you wear this perfume, you'll find romance in a bookstore." "If you smoke our cigarettes, you'll be cool and young and alive." "If you drink our beer, you'll be the most interesting man in the world"

Can't watch it because I'm at work, but I think what you pointed out is basically the problem with advertising a perfume. Potential consumers only get to see the pictures or watch the video from the campaign, not necessarily to smell the fragrance, so to get them to go to their local Sephora and give it a try, you need to have a pretty face, preferably a household name (Nicole Kidman or Keira Knightley for instance... and now Emma) that people (in this case, girls/women) look up to and wouldn't mind looking like a little bit.

There was an interesting article in the FT the other day, about celebrities turning their lifestyles into brands (such as Gwyneth Paltrow with her blog GOOP) and people being enthusiastic about it, because they feel that, by buying certain products that are being used or recommended by a celebrity they like, somehow they can partially attain the lifestyle of such celebrity, or feel a part of it.

How many of us will go and smell "Trésor Midnight Rose" just because Emma is advocating it? I know I will. I may even buy the perfume, who knows? And if I do, it's scary to think that Emma will probably have been 50% of the incentive! As consumers, we can be fairly predictable and influencable...

Sorry for the rant.

I totally understand your point it just seemed weird to me, not showing the actual product much, like only a couple of times. Maybe it seemed to me like this because other perfume commercials were really short so showing the actual bottle a couple of times it's a good thing. This one was pree' long, seemed more like advertising a trailer for Emma's new movie or something. Which was fine by me of course haha

Edited by Provehito In Altum
With no information about you, you cannot participate in Lancôme App. And without participating you cannot win a kiss from Emma Watson and exciting prizes.

A kiss from Emma? :blink: I'd like to see her travelling all the way down here just to hand out kisses to people who caught her hat in some facebook app. :P

• 2 months later...

Yea, I was in a hurry at the mall the other day, and passed by the Lancome aisle, and I saw her ad-photo for Tresor Midnight

Rose. The lady at the counter gave me some samples of it---it smells like raspberries and jasmine--really nice and light.

Yea, I majored in marketing, and I can tell you, there's lots of tricks and psychology to get people to open up their wallets.

I hope Emma can change the animal testing on Lancome's products. The ban on animal testing for Lancome expires in 2013. :angry: I wish she could do something with organic makeup. There's so many chemicals in makeup, that are harmful, and people use it everyday unknowingly what its doing to them.

Lipstick:main ingredient is LEAD. Nail Color:formeldahyde & tourmeline. Shampoos:phosphates/laurel sulfates--and on and on.....

Maybe Emma can make a difference, and lend her organic background/fair trade expertise and get these chemicals out of these

products. :yesyes: