The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I love you <3. I adore opera. I've started to appreciate it even more since my singing lessons started in May last year. I've been quite into it for the last few years actually. My parents are divorced and my dad's house is always filled with music: he himself is a pianist, and my stepmother is a violinist. My sister has played the cello for eight years, my other sister plays the recorder. I've been to an opera a few times, and I loved it.

The ten tenors also do other stuff than opera I see. They're cool :D.

You probably know this aria: Link. It's the Queen of the Night's famous aria by Mozart. Mozart is the composer if it comes to opera, if you ask me.

And this is a little pearl, from Le Nozze di Figaro:

. Voi Che Sapete from Le Nozze di Figaro. I'm going to be singing this :).

Opera is a very difficult art to perform, but once done well, it is amazing, so pure, so real. It's fantastic what human voices can do. Yup, I love opera :).

Oh! I love you back! haha.

I really need to get a whole heap of it! I've only got the few ones by the Ten Tenors! Really amazing stuff.

Bravo for giving that song ago! Hope you nail it!

Yeah it is amazing what the human voice can do! I love music that stretches the limits of what our voices can do! I guess that's why I love the other genres I listen to!

Ah man! I can't remember the name. Who was the big fat bloke that died a few years back? He was amazing!

Edited by wheneverythingfalls
  • 2 months later...

I love you <3. I adore opera. I've started to appreciate it even more since my singing lessons started in May last year. I've been quite into it for the last few years actually. My parents are divorced and my dad's house is always filled with music: he himself is a pianist, and my stepmother is a violinist. My sister has played the cello for eight years, my other sister plays the recorder. I've been to an opera a few times, and I loved it.

The ten tenors also do other stuff than opera I see. They're cool :D.

You probably know this aria: Link. It's the Queen of the Night's famous aria by Mozart. Mozart is the composer if it comes to opera, if you ask me.

And this is a little pearl, from Le Nozze di Figaro:

. Voi Che Sapete from Le Nozze di Figaro. I'm going to be singing this :).

Opera is a very difficult art to perform, but once done well, it is amazing, so pure, so real. It's fantastic what human voices can do. Yup, I love opera :).

I would LOVE to be able to play piano or violin or both, I like opera, it's the same pedestal as classical music, where my fave is Vivaldi.

Pavarotti would be my favorite, and Angela Gheorghiu, because I'm proud she's Romanian. Habanera is my favorite song she sang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLyZqETuBU

Pavarotti would be my favorite, and Angela Gheorghiu, because I'm proud she's Romanian. Habanera is my favorite song she sang.

I've seen Angela Gheorghiu at the 2010 Classical Brit Awards in London, where she won best female as well as performed. I've attended the Classical Brit Awards for the last 5 years and have had the pleasure of seeing performances from Plácido Domingo, José Carreras, André Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra, and Lang Lang among others. It's always a top night.

I'm not strictly a fan of opera but I do like operatic songs and listen to classical music. I am a big fan of Katherine Jenkins (her early work anyway) and have seen her live on many occasions as well as meeting her, I am also big fan of Hayley Westenra who I have also seen perform a number of times.

I've seen Angela Gheorghiu at the 2010 Classical Brit Awards in London, where she won best female as well as performed. I've attended the Classical Brit Awards for the last 5 years and have had the pleasure of seeing performances from Plácido Domingo, José Carreras, André Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra, and Lang Lang among others. It's always a top night.

I'm not strictly a fan of opera but I do like operatic songs and listen to classical music. I am a big fan of Katherine Jenkins (her early work anyway) and have seen her live on many occasions as well as meeting her, I am also big fan of Hayley Westenra who I have also seen perform a number of times.

super amazing, yes I knew she won and attended and performed, she's someone to look up to, as a Romanian myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I love opera....seen a few but most of them I only heard on CD

I saw:

Fidelio

Lulu

Aida

Parcival(yes, the WHOLE!! more than five hours)

Magic Flute

and I love listening to it...my favourite arias are

Mozart(Magic Flute)-Oh zittre nicht mein lieber Sohn(known as the queen of the night-aria)

Puccini(Gianni Schicci)-O mio babbino caro

Puccini(Turandot)-Nessun Dorma

Bizet(Carmen)-Habanera

Verdi(Nabucco)-Va pensiero

Bizet-Pearlfisher's duet

Purcell(Dido and Aeneas)-Dido's lament(known as "Remember me")

Bellini(Norma)-Casta Diva

Cassidy(Hannibal)-Vide cor meum

Wagner(Tristan und Isolde)-Herr Tristan tretet nah

Wagner(Tristan und Isolde)-Mild und leise(known as "Isoldes lovedeath")

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My vocal coach is convinced I can do opera (noticed someone else was in vocal training). I don't think I can but I'm not sure. I need to educate myself a bit more in terms of opera vocals. I know a lot about orchestra because I was a percussionist and a bassist. I got more into ballets like "The Firebird" by Igor Stravinsky. The only opera I saw was "The Phantom of the Opera". I'm gonna check out these videos. I need more tenor influences in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a serious appreciation of Opera, my dad absolutely loved Opera

My dad always said the greatest tenors to him were

1. Jussi Bjorling

1a. Luciano Pavoratti

other opera singers I love are, and forgive me if I spell a few of the names wrong

Giuseppi DeStefano

Beniamino Gigli

John Mccormack (who had a lighter voice, not as rich as many tenors, so he was considered a lyric tenor)

Nicolai Gedda

Enrico Caruso (largely considered for a number of years the greatest tenor of all time and often is listed in that category along with Luciano Pavoratti and Jussi Bjorling... even though a lot of Caruso's recordings are quite old and lack the quality of Bjorling and Pavoratti's recordings)

Mario Lanza (loved his voice but out of high quality opera singers I always thought Lanza lacked consistancy with his voice and could sometimes lose his pitch, when he was on though his voice was outstanding)

Carlo Bergonzi

Lauritz Melchior (another of my father's favorites)

Tito Schipa (who sings a beautiful version of one of my favorite Aria's (je crois entendre encore) from the French Opera the Pearl Fishers by Bizet) The famous Tenor/Bass Baritone duet Au Fond du Temple Saint is also a beautiful song from the Pearl Fishers a highly underated Opera IMO. Here is a link to Bjorling singing je crois entendre encore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QFgPtmM7Ps The quality of Bjorling's notes and his range are truly amazing.. it's displayed even more in other Arias , but I love the effortlessness of his singing when you compare it to other "great" opera singers.

Placido Domingo (who also transitioned nicely into non operatic music, I put Placido among my top five ever)

A couple of bass/baritone opera singers who are considered among the elite (Russian's have a nice standing in this category) are...

Feodor Chaliapin (a Russian) and Sherill Milnes

I also loved John Charles Thomas (who is a baritone).. his Green Eyed Dragon with the Thirteen Tails (though not an Opera piece) is something that will forever be engrained in my childhood. The tune from what I understand (the green-eyed dragon with the thirteen tails) is supposed to be the 13 American colonies, and the song comes from a decidedly British point of view on the matter. LOL You can listen here if you like... The Green-Eyed Dragon with the Thirteen Tails

I could go on and on but I should stop if anyone has even gotten this far haha

but quickly..... :P to mention a few of the women with amazing voices....

Marian Anderson

Kiri te Kanawa (love her voice)

Maria Callas

Marilyn Horne

Joan Sutherland

Leontyne Price

I hope that anyone who appreiciates music takes the time to give Opera a serious listen. The emotion and beauty is beyond amazing, even though the music is often in languages I do not understand.

• 3 months later...

sorry for the double post... but it's months later, so I feel a bit justified. >.<

anywho...

Here's a wonderful piece originally written by Franz Schubert and based off of a poem by Goethe. Franz Liszt, later did a piano translation. This is supposedly one of the most difficult piano pieces to perform, which as in any case, is a subjective qualification.

Here it is sung by one of the great baritones of all time, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. There are four characters that he must sing in the piece. The Father, The Son, The Narrator and The Erlking. Hope someone likes it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9t5VCPD8UQ&feature=related