The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Misconceptions/Stereotypes about your belief system

I didn't say that Ned Flanders is set there to insult Christians, I know that. BUT, because he is the main portrayal of the Christian lifestyle seen by the majority of the public he becomes the stereotype, that's how stereotypes are formed.

Not saying that he's bad and should be removed or anything, but because he is the biggest look at Christianity on a mainstream TV show, people adopt that as reality

Yeah it's funny Joe, I was watching a show called American Horror Story the other day and this couple moves into a house and the neighbor comes in to introduce herself and the first thing she says is "I'm a good Christian, but...." and basically gives off a really bad first impression of herself. I wouldn't have noticed had my friend not said, "I really hate how the first thing she said was that she was a Christian, writers seem to like to do that...". I've never really had an issue with how Christians are portrayed in the media because I know that not all of them are like that but now that it's been pointed out to me, it's really interesting to see how the non-christian population gets their ideas. And for me, that's why it's so important to make myself relateable because I want to destroy people's perceptions of how Christian should be. I really like surprising people, more than I should, lol. I never want people to expect stuff from me because I will usually always end up not doing what they expect.

I get you. It's the same thing when I see some Wicca (witch) stereotype on the television or in a movie. I just thought it was funny that you mentioned him. XD

And yeah, there are soooooo many stereotypes about Wicca. SO MANY. I can't even begin to count them all, and then try to debunk them all. I do the best I can though, I promise!! I think it's interesting because wicca is a "new" religion, as in it's very old but it just had a revival like 60 or so years ago so there is still a lot of education to be had for people to learn about it.

Wiccan/Pegan Stereotypes

1. All Wiccan/Pegan's worship satan

2. We all practice 'magic' spells

3. We are demonic

4. We sacrifice living things such as babies and animals

5. We all wear black, have piercings, tattoo's and speak latin

This is all not true. God, no one understands the Wiccan/Pegan belief...

its always upset me because for one, We dont worship satan, that is a satanist.

We dont ALL practice magic, some do, but its a very spiritual and nature based religion.

Those are the main things that piss me off. If people acctualy talk to a Wiccan or Pegan

they would see that we are not what they think we are.

Wiccan/Pegan Stereotypes

1. All Wiccan/Pegan's worship satan

2. We all practice 'magic' spells

3. We are demonic

4. We sacrifice living things such as babies and animals

5. We all wear black, have piercings, tattoo's and speak latin

This is all not true. God, no one understands the Wiccan/Pegan belief...

its always upset me because for one, We dont worship satan, that is a satanist.

We dont ALL practice magic, some do, but its a very spiritual and nature based religion.

Those are the main things that piss me off. If people acctualy talk to a Wiccan or Pegan

they would see that we are not what they think we are.

you should check out my thread on wicca, paganism, and druidry: http://forum.emma-watson.net/index.php?/topic/1434-wiccapaganismdruidry/

I made this in hopes I'd address some of the misconceptions of new age religion and belief systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Misconceptions about atheists:

Atheism is a religion. It is not. It is a LACK of one.

Atheists have no morals. We do. Like any other person of any religion out there, we have reasons to live and breathe and what we think is right or wrong. We have a way to live just like religious people do.

Atheists are evil. I'm sorry but we are not. There are evil people of every religion and belief system out there. We are no different. We are good, honest people trying to live our lives, just like people of religion, again.

We think nothing happens to us after we die. I believe in an afterlife myself but I do not call it heaven. I call it nirvana, or the ultimate personal resting place. I know there are other atheists like me who believe our souls move on when we die as well.

Atheists have no faith. For me, faith is believing in something. Faith can be having faith in yourself things will get better. Faith so-and-so will make it out alive. Faith you will see that long-lost friend after so many years. We have faith, just not in a God.

Oh, and for those who believe in heaven and hell, do not threaten us atheists with hell. We do not believe in it so your threats have zero staining power. I'm sure I'm not the only atheist who gets annoyed by this. How can we fear something we don't think exists?

That's it for now. I'm sure there is more but that's the gist of it atm :)

Misconceptions about atheists:

Atheism is a religion. It is not. It is a LACK of one.

Atheists have no morals. We do. Like any other person of any religion out there, we have reasons to live and breathe and what we think is right or wrong. We have a way to live just like religious people do.

Atheists are evil. I'm sorry but we are not. There are evil people of every religion and belief system out there. We are no different. We are good, honest people trying to live our lives, just like people of religion, again.

We think nothing happens to us after we die. I believe in an afterlife myself but I do not call it heaven. I call it nirvana, or the ultimate personal resting place. I know there are other atheists like me who believe our souls move on when we die as well.

Atheists have no faith. For me, faith is believing in something. Faith can be having faith in yourself things will get better. Faith so-and-so will make it out alive. Faith you will see that long-lost friend after so many years. We have faith, just not in a God.

Oh, and for those who believe in heaven and hell, do not threaten us atheists with hell. We do not believe in it so your threats have zero staining power. I'm sure I'm not the only atheist who gets annoyed by this. How can we fear something we don't think exists?

That's it for now. I'm sure there is more but that's the gist of it atm :)

This is a great post! There certainly are a ton of misconceptions and everyone judges each other so quickly, and that's why it's important to address what separates us to at least get it on the table. Thank you for posting :)

A simple one, I've come across, Is that people who go to church are boring and don't know how to enjoy themselves.

This is a good one! A lot of people think I'm weird because I go to church xD

Hmm some misconceptions I've come across recently...

Christians are all the same - we're not, in fact we're as diverse as any other group out there. We are diverse globally, spiritually, politically, you name it!

Actually, that's the only one I've really stumbled across. I've been really lucky in the fact that most of the people I come across are really understanding but there will ALWAYS be misconceptions so it's important to discuss them.

• 2 weeks later...

A simple one, I've come across, Is that people who go to church are boring and don't know how to enjoy themselves.

I used to have the same perception until I walked into my church that I now call home xD. The first time I walked in, service started with a small band jamming out to music and I went :o . Needless to say, I'm part of the music, too, now. ;D

----

Here is one that even (some) "religious" people carry of others who may be starting to find their feet in faith: I have always come to be infuriated when I am judged for an incorrect or heated reaction to a phrase, situation, or someone else's actions. If someone becomes offended in something they believe is unfair, and has a subsequent negative response, they may be asked, "Why do you go to church then? You're not so righteous because of your reaction."

I think, among some people, there is this concept that people who go to church must be fully righteous themselves, obedient, truthful, and must not transgress even in the minutest misdirection. If a stumble occurs, the church-goer is vulnerable to be called hypocrite, or should therefore be judged as not worthy to go to service. This could go as far as a society of young adults who lose trust and become apathetic in any church system/community because of broken systems within a (or some) community (ies).

I've personally dealt with this time and again, and I'm sure this will continually happen. The crux of going to church for me is because I, daily, struggle with my faith and belief--whether on a huge scale or small--and to have a "safe" point to go back to and be redirected is key (think of the game "tag" where children make safe points or "bases").

I believe that I, as much as anyone else, have the right to attend any service as I please. And I will do something wrong at one point or another, but I am human. What will not change is the responsibility I take for my actions, and the redirection I take after stumbling, digression, misguidance. You can't learn without mistakes, yeah?

Edited by Prongs

^^ A great post I can totally relate to it.

People who go to church don't claim to be perfect, everybody has their faults. They are just the same as everybody else, they just happen to go to church, for many different reasons, I expect. They lead ordinary lives, like everyone else, they make mistakes, but they are not hypocrites. The church is part of their lives, it helps different people in different ways, whatever their reasons for going, that is their personal choice. God will be their judge, not other people.

Church to some people is like a ritual to me. It's something you do to, I dunno, I guess cleanse yourself. It's healthy I think. It gets away all of those negative feelings and emotions you have stuck to you. And on a spiritual level keeps you protected. That is just my belief anyway.

I hate when people get judged over going to church. You aren't hurting anyone. The only problem I have is when hatred and hurt feelings happen because then something positive becomes something negative. As long as that doesn't happen and you feel safe, then go for it. Let people talk their crap.

Church to some people is like a ritual to me. It's something you do to, I dunno, I guess cleanse yourself. It's healthy I think. It gets away all of those negative feelings and emotions you have stuck to you. And on a spiritual level keeps you protected. That is just my belief anyway.

I hate when people get judged over going to church. You aren't hurting anyone. The only problem I have is when hatred and hurt feelings happen because then something positive becomes something negative. As long as that doesn't happen and you feel safe, then go for it. Let people talk their crap.

Church is nice, I agree. Being in that environment is really great, where everyone has gathered for the same purpose as you, to worship God. I think though, sometimes, people just go to church because it's a habit, and they don't actually get anything out of it. I used to do that, I used to HATE church. But now I know that there's more to faith than just going to church and praying! It's truly about having a relationship with God.

Church is nice, I agree. Being in that environment is really great, where everyone has gathered for the same purpose as you, to worship God. I think though, sometimes, people just go to church because it's a habit, and they don't actually get anything out of it. I used to do that, I used to HATE church. But now I know that there's more to faith than just going to church and praying! It's truly about having a relationship with God.

Yeah, I also agree with you here. I know for a fact my uncle is one of these people. @_@;; He's admitted it but he keeps doing it. *shrug* I guess there are people like this in all sorts of religions.

For some, they feel like they need to go to a Church, Temple, Coven or what have you. Some do it out of habit and for some, they are solitary practitioners of their faith. I do think that in the end, it's whatever works for you and your relationship with your deity (or lack there of lol).

I agree, I actually really like going to church though. I don't need to necessarily, but now that I've found churches that I love (at home and at school) I like going every sunday! It's not a burden to me and I get something new out of it every week. I think that although some people don't necessarily need to go to church, God appreciates the effort. In my opinion anyway. And sometimes it's nice to just connect with like minded people, who are all there to worship God.