The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Eating Habits in College

If there's a topic likes this already, feel free to close it.

So, I'm a Freshman in College at the moment and I've found that my eating habits have changed quite dramatically.

Away from home, I feel like I should watch what I eat more, since I'm...on my own. Also because some of the things people manage to eat in the cafeteria every day are pretty bizarre - I don't think I'd survive eating burgers and fries for lunch every day :lol:

This summer I decided to stop drinking soda and stick to water instead. I wasn't much of a soda drinker before, but I thought it would be a good start to to try and be a little more healthy xD and for the last 3 weeks since I've been at college I've been eating a lot more vegetables than I usually would eat on a daily basis.

Did your eating habits change, or stay the same? Tell meh! :D

Edited by mischief.managed

Not particularly, although to be fair I live in an actual apartment as opposed to a dorm so I have more freedom in what I can and can't make. I'd strongly suggest buying multi-vitamin and calcium pills though. While college food can be decent at times it's not great. Also realistically we are on the go, a lot, so what we do get isn't generally great either. This ensures you get what your body needs, and on top of that I find I generally eat a lot less when I take vitamins/calcium.

It's inevitable for it to change really if you are use to home cooked meals and such. For the last couple of years I've really prepared most of my own food so not much has changed lol.

You definitely will be on the go at all times. I went into college at a slower pace (since I transferred in enough credits from high school that I didn't need to take certain classes). I'm a senior now and since my junior year I've been trying to grab whatever food I can eat within an hour. On some days I have a long enough break between classes where I can sit down and eat lunch with friends. But on the whole, you're on the go and you're on your own.

Mine haven't changed. Most people find it embarassing eating around others but me it doesn't matter. No one stops me from eating.

My first proper day today and in front of all the new people I've met in my class I ate Chips, Burgar, Pizza, Chrisps, 2 Pears and a Subway. :)

First off, what a great topic!

I don't think my eating habits have changed much, but rather I have more choice at college as to what I CAN eat, so it's always a struggle to try to eat balanced meals and get my veggies and fruits in :D

At home, it's kind of an interesting eating situation for me because when I was younger, my gram would do the food shopping and get LOADS of junk food. So I grew up with a sweet tooth, which I still have...which is a good and bad thing at the same time (lol). She would also get a surplus of stuff we didn't need, so a lot went to waste and it wasn't the best food, either.

Now that my gram is too old, my uncle paul does the shopping and he is completely the opposite. He gets JUST what we need, nothing more, or less. Just what we write down on "the list". So there's never ANYTHING to snack on, and food situation never changes. My family also kinda does their own thing when it comes to food - paul eats the same thing, my uncle mike has had to cut back on a lot of stuff ever since he had heart surgery, my gram eats the same dinner every day - so me and my mom are kind of left to scavenge xD

So my food choices have been...interesting. Going to college I was like :o. I could make my own salads, get soup, etc. My diet isn't terrible, but it's definitely about making healthy food choices!! It's always a struggle to get a salad instead of like...oh, I don't know, whatever (insert unhealthy food here). It's been a very good experience kind of choosing what I like, what I don't like, and making my meals fairly healthy. So it wasn't so much that my eating habits changed in college, but that I got to (and still do) experience how to create healthy meals to the best of my ability.

Sammy I know exactlybwhat you mean!!! I have so many friends who are struggling with maintaining a healthy diet!! I live at home and commute so I am not really having a hard time. But, I know that there are tons of people feeling the same way as you.

When I am at uni I bring lunch with me because I can't eat any of that crap. Even though it's downtown and there are a million amazing restraunts. I prefer my own food. But, I noticed that everyone else just buys the same awful food from the student center. In our student center there are a bunch of restraunts and a cafeteria. It amazes me that so many people buy this overpriced food everyday. The uni I am attending is public and most kids who go there do not have much money and are putting themselves through college. So I don't understand it at all.

Here is the issue I am having. I stopped drinking pop (soda, sorry for people who do t get what pop is haha). But, now I hve started drinking it like crazy!!!!! I need the caffien,carbonation, and sugar to help me get through!!! But it's so unhealthy!!! It's such an issue. Don't even get me started on my coffee addiction... But thats not new lol

• 3 weeks later...

The food at my campus is poorly made and over priced. The sandwiches on offer at the uni always look a day old, stale bread and dull looking fillings. Most students drive or walk down to the local shopping centre to have lunch in the eatery or they eat the snacks from the campus vending machines. I bring a packed lunch from home and eat at the common room with my friends.

My eating habits at uni are awful to be honest, I don't usually eat breakfast, sometimes have a sandwich for lunch, then have dinner, and then depending on if I'm at work or not of an evening, either get a takeaway (usually Chineese) whilst at work, or phone for pizza after depending on if we have had a long shift and we all get food or not, or if I have the night off, then I tend to make myself noodles or spaghetti or something like that at 10 or 11, and if I'm going out, will usually get some kind of fast food at the end of the night, as well as takeaway in lieu of dinner at least twice a week.

It's a mix of my slightly dodgy metabolism, expensive food on campus, and the strange sleeping pattern that work forces on me (there's no point in having dinner at 6pm if you are going to be at work until 4 in the morning as you will be starving by the time you finish anyway, and due to the resulting late starts, my body isn't used to dealing with food before 11ish in the mornings)

My eating habits are the same after I was accepted into college. Although there are some changes that I have made ever since I joined college, for example: I eat less soda then I used to when I was in high school and I eat more fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I like to eat junk food like McDonald's or Wendy's. But I mostly stick with vegetables, drinking more water, exercising on a regular basis and drinking milk.

My mother has always been a fad dieter and her weight has been like a yoyo for as long as I can remember. Thinking about it, I know that’s part of the reason my own weight goes up and down. My brother and I were also fed a lot of take out and junk food as kids while I watched my mother live on black coffee or soup. I still struggle with eating healthy – for a long time I had a silly block in my brain that in order to lose weight you have to starve yourself – because that’s what my mother told me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...