The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I need some help and/or advice please

Hello ladies and gentlemen. As some of you know, I am a foreign student in the US and I am having some problems with the words to and too. If you don't mind, could you please explain to me how to use those words correctly in a sentence? And maybe give some examples? Thank you so much. :)

First of all, where are you from? xD

Too is used in two ways (as far I know):

- To express an excessive quantity: Too small, too different, too high, too much, etc.

- Instead of "also": I'm a person too; you like that too.

To is used in several ways:

- To convert a verb to the infinitive: to be, to have, to do...

- To indicate a direction: I go to school, you go to your home...

- To indicate a purpose: I'm posting here to help you, he likes to go there to eat some icecream...

You can learn more about the "to" in here.

Thank you so much for your help Will. I am from Romania and currently living in the US now. I always had this problem ever since middle school and I didn't know how to spell them the right way in a sentence. But now I do.

Great Job Will!!! I couldn't have said it better!

I just wanted to let you know, Andrew, I have the same problem!! English is my first language even though I am bilingual. But, I always mix up too and to. I mix up words all the time!!! Its hard for me to remember the difference and I know many Americans who have the same issue. So don't feel alone or bad!

Thank you for your kindness and support Ariel. I am glad that I'm not the only one who has difficulty with those words. These two words are getting easier and easier each time I talk or write them in a sentence. :)