The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What do you think of your National Anthem?

i absolutely HATE 'God Save The Queen' its monotonous and boring, crap national anthem!

I actually like God Save The Queen/Oben am jungen Rhein, the anthem of Liechtenstein (the same tune as God Save the Queen). And I also like the Dutch and Russian. The American has goosebump moments as well.

Edited by I am Not Purple

i absolutely HATE 'God Save The Queen' its monotonous and boring, crap national anthem!

Lol well us americans took it and made it the song "my country 'tis of thee" so I guess...sharing is caring?

This is the american national anthem, it's nice I guess but you all wouldnt BELIEVE how many people IN AMERICA a.) don't know the lyrics

or b.)forget them whilst singing. -__- it's not THAT hard to remember, I don't think.

ANYWAY. Our anthem was written by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812 and the song was taken from an old english pub song. The lyrics were inspired when Key was seeing some of the action going on during the war and through everything (and the rocket's red glare, the bombs' bursting in air...) the American flag still flew. So. Just a bit of history for ya :D

Lol well us americans took it and made it the song "my country 'tis of thee" so I guess...sharing is caring?

This is the american national anthem, it's nice I guess but you all wouldnt BELIEVE how many people IN AMERICA a.) don't know the lyrics

or b.)forget them whilst singing. -__- it's not THAT hard to remember, I don't think.

ANYWAY. Our anthem was written by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812 and the song was taken from an old english pub song. The lyrics were inspired when Key was seeing some of the action going on during the war and through everything (and the rocket's red glare, the bombs' bursting in air...) the American flag still flew. So. Just a bit of history for ya :D

A coincidence and/or a bit ironic that the Star Spangled Banner is sung to the tune of an English (I think) drinking song huh? lol0

Francis Scott Key was watching the English siege on Ft. Convington during the War of 1812 when he wrote the poem about the American storm (smallest) flag when it was still flying during the entire bombardment amid the flak and fire. During the siege, English gunboats were firing their mortars and cannons (rockets and bombs[airbursting cannonballs] bombarding the American fort); some were aimed directly at the flag. But amid all the fire, the flag was still flying "...gave proof through night, that our flag was still there...., Oh, say does that our Star-Spangled Banner yet wave..."

But whenever I hear it play on TV or at any event I automatically stand up at attention and put my hand over my heart, face the flag or music, and sing along. I always get watery eyed whenever I hear it play. I would hear it play, sing along while shedding some tears.

Sry to double post...

I still remember the Philippine national anthem "Lupang Hinirang", but unfortunately I don't have as much of a personal connection to it as the "Star-Spangled Banner". Back home it's still sung in the schools and some movie theatres, I still remember the lyrics though.

Edited by padfoot

A coincidence and/or a bit ironic that the Star Spangled Banner is sung to the tune of an English (I think) drinking song huh? lol0

Francis Scott Key was watching the English siege on Ft. Convington during the War of 1812 when he wrote the poem about the American storm (smallest) flag when it was still flying during the entire bombardment amid the flak and fire. During the siege, English gunboats were firing their mortars and cannons (rockets and bombs[airbursting cannonballs] bombarding the American fort); some were aimed directly at the flag. But amid all the fire, the flag was still flying "...gave proof through night, that our flag was still there...., Oh, say does that our Star-Spangled Banner yet wave..."

Hahaha, you did much better with the history than I did. I would have googled it last night but...I was too lazy :P I'm a lot more patriotic now than I was before about the national anthem. I used to not really care but now I pay attention to it and at least give it the respect it deserves. I hate most modern singers' versions of the national anthem - JUST SING IT, they don't have to make it all fancy! It really bothers me lol.

I love the Greek National Anthem, the Hymn to Liberty as it's called. I don't just love it because it's my country's anthem, i'd feel the same if it were any country's anthem because i just like the melody and most of all i love the words; it reminds me of how much our ancestors fought and died so i can be free today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDTVFbTHB5w

Also i really love the Russian national anthem. It's so powerful and awesome!

Hahaha, you did much better with the history than I did. I would have googled it last night but...I was too lazy :P I'm a lot more patriotic now than I was before about the national anthem. I used to not really care but now I pay attention to it and at least give it the respect it deserves. I hate most modern singers' versions of the national anthem - JUST SING IT, they don't have to make it all fancy! It really bothers me lol.

I know! I mean, no doubt some of these singers have great voices, but I think National Anthems sound so much better when they're just sung.

Share them if you like ^_^ I just saw the New Zealand anthem live during the France vs. NZ match of the Rugby World Cup :rolleye0012: Here's it is:

There is always one version in English and one in Maori, I like it :yesyes:

Made me cry :sob: I MISS HOME! Love the song, really fits NZ :)

Sweden's national anthem

Haha I don't even know the whole anthem, but it's ok I guess :)

I love the Swedish anthem! Always have and always will, gives me goosebumps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_qH06ikWc&feature=youtu.be

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You have an Avatar of the Royal Air Force. Either take it off, or start liking GSTQ.

Frankly, It depends on who/what is paying/singing God save the queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0n-GkG_hQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr__-KqnfQM&feature=related

This is the Dutch national anthem, het Wilhelmus:

I'm curious what you think of it. The Wilhelmus has 15 strophes, but most people in the Netherlands only know the first one. The first one is also the only one that is mostly sung at public national events, followed by the sixth (I'm not sure why...). I like it. The only time I sing it I believe is when I watch Nationale Dodenherdenking (Remembrance of the Dead) on May 4 each year on TV: Remembrance of the Dead, when the dead of all wars and peacekeeping missions since World War II are remembered. The queen and her entourage are present on Dam Square in the capital, together with thousands of citizens. After two minutes of silence and the wreath laying, the Wilhelmus is sung. It does actually give me a feeling of solidarity, I like the music.