The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Third Culture Kids

Wikipedia definition of "Third Culture Kid" is

Someone who, as a child, has spent a significant period of time in one or more culture(s) other than his or her own, thus integrating elements of those cultures and their own birth culture, into a third culture.

So, to make a long story short, I was born in India, moved to Canada when I was almost a year old and lived there until I was 6 before moving back to India for a few months. My family and I then moved to Uganda, which is where I grew up (aged 7-18) and now I live in America.

Even though the statistics here were taken from U.S. TCK's, I find them very easy to relate to.

Although I'm very proud (and always will be) for being a TCK, I do experience reverse culture shock when I go back to Canada.

I admit I am posting this topic because I'm feeling pretty homesick right now :ph34r: but is anyone, or does anyone know any Third Culture Kids?

AH SAMMY ME TOO!!!!!!!! I never knew there was a word or anything for it. But, this is the story of my life!!! Except that two of the cultures are similar.

For my WHOLE life I have been bouncing around between England, America, and Israel. I was born in America and lived there till my mum died when I was nine. Then my dad decided that he wanted to move away for awhile so we moved to London. We kept the property in America since all my family lives there. So I traveled back and forth a lot. When I was younger for periods of time we would live in Israel and then when I was older same thing. I lived in Israel for 2 years on my own. We own property in all three countrys still. I am currently living in America in our first home. Now it belongs to me and this is where I am going to stay. MY dad is still living in London for the time being. And, I visit Israel frequently.

I would say that the American and English culture has A LOT of simularities. There are big differences too but still things are similar. However, Israel is completely different then both. I am all three. I consider myself all three. And, it is so weird!!! Because I am so different from everyone I know!!

Sometimes I do experience culture shock in America. Because where I live is a wealthy area and people just are so materialistic. They have so much stuff. Its not like that in England or Israel. Well in England more so then Israel.

Now that I know that there is a real term for what I am. I am of course proud!!! Thanks for sharing this with me Sammy!!!

I think that aside from one or two Indians, your the only main one I know

I'm with Joe. You're the only one I know.

Well now there;s Arie :D

AH SAMMY ME TOO!!!!!!!! I never knew there was a word or anything for it. But, this is the story of my life!!! Except that two of the cultures are similar.

For my WHOLE life I have been bouncing around between England, America, and Israel. I was born in America and lived there till my mum died when I was nine. Then my dad decided that he wanted to move away for awhile so we moved to London. We kept the property in America since all my family lives there. So I traveled back and forth a lot. When I was younger for periods of time we would live in Israel and then when I was older same thing. I lived in Israel for 2 years on my own. We own property in all three countrys still. I am currently living in America in our first home. Now it belongs to me and this is where I am going to stay. MY dad is still living in London for the time being. And, I visit Israel frequently.

I would say that the American and English culture has A LOT of simularities. There are big differences too but still things are similar. However, Israel is completely different then both. I am all three. I consider myself all three. And, it is so weird!!! Because I am so different from everyone I know!!

Sometimes I do experience culture shock in America. Because where I live is a wealthy area and people just are so materialistic. They have so much stuff. Its not like that in England or Israel. Well in England more so then Israel.

Now that I know that there is a real term for what I am. I am of course proud!!! Thanks for sharing this with me Sammy!!!

I think of of the downsides of this is that as a TCK, I'm very dependent...I don't really know what the average American teenager knows about some of the most basic things; I can drive, but I don't have a license, I've never had a job, I've never pumped gas at a gas station before (in Uganda, people did it for you), I can't cook to save my life, I've never done the laundry, and I think I'd get a panic attack going into a bank xD So I'm pretty amazed when I see kids my age doing that.

I guess it's true that while TCK's are usually more "mature" than non-TCK's, it does take longer for us to grow up in the real world.

I think of of the downsides of this is that as a TCK, I'm very dependent...I don't really know what the average American teenager knows about some of the most basic things; I can drive, but I don't have a license, I've never had a job, I've never pumped gas at a gas station before (in Uganda, people did it for you), I can't cook to save my life, I've never done the laundry, and I think I'd get a panic attack going into a bank xD So I'm pretty amazed when I see kids my age doing that.

I guess it's true that while TCK's are usually more "mature" than non-TCK's, it does take longer for us to grow up in the real world.

I also don't know how to do any of that. But, not because of culture exactly more so just family dynamics. When my mum died I was to young to do all that stuff and my dad worked so much. So I had a nanny for a while then we had like a housekeeper. But, idk if that is culture or just my family lol. Some of those things I am figuring out now. But, I think being a TCK has actually made me more independent because I had to figure out how to survive in 3 different worlds. I had to adapt to so many different things and many times on my own. My dad wasn't always there with me.

All those things you can learn easily hun!!! Don't let it get you down!!! As for gass, in certain states its like that. In NJ they don't pump their own gas either lol. And, youll learn stuff!!! Laundry isnt too hard!!

I definetly think we are more mature. We have seen so much more of the world!!! When I lived in Israel, I lived through war and bombings and all sorts of crap. People in America have no clue how to handle that!

^ Yeah, we had a housekeeper too and we still do. My dad travels internationally for work and my mom is always out and about, so that was how I grew up!

I'm in PA right now, and from what I've seen, gas isn't pumped for you :P haha. I'll learn one of these days.

Back in Uganda, we'd get school off because of riots and stuff like that.

^ Yeah, we had a housekeeper too and we still do. My dad travels internationally for work and my mom is always out and about, so that was how I grew up!

I'm in PA right now, and from what I've seen, gas isn't pumped for you :P haha. I'll learn one of these days.

Back in Uganda, we'd get school off because of riots and stuff like that.

Same!!!!! My dad was always working!!!! So since I was nine I had a nanny or housekeeper. Now, I just have a cleaning lady once a week. But, the weirdest thing for me is adjusting to living alone!!!!

Hahaha yeah I figured. PA wow!!! That's very different!!!

Wow yeah I can't imagine how it must have been like to live in Uganda!!! I am really jealous though that you got yo live there!!!