The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What is your city/country known for?

What makes your town/city/state/country stand out?

The city I live in, Auckland, is the second most spread out city in the world (such a nuisance lol) and has more boats per capita than anywhere else in the world which is why it has been named the "City of Sails", I guess that's all we're known for :rolleye0012:

New Zealand is known for its greenness, cleanness and stunning scenery. Oh, and having more sheep than people.

Well, I'm gonna do two countries, since I'm a citizen of one but I grew up in another one xD

I'm originally from Canada, and we're pretty much known for being a peaceful country. We're also known for our rivers and mountains, just scenery in general, and to get to the more stereotypical stuff, maple syrup, beavers (lol), multiculturalism and free health care and snow haha..

And unfortunately, harp seal slaughtering. NOT PROUD OF THAT! :(

I grew up in Uganda, which is otherwise known as the "Pear of Africa". It's known for it's scenery and wildlife, typically the mountain gorilla. Also, the equator line is very popular.

I think that's it.

I'll pick the city I currently live in lol

Cleveland, Ohio.... Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!!!!!! Among other things lol

Oh yeah, we have one of the best orchestras in the world and some of the best schools in the country.

Edited by Arie

Santo Domingo was the first European colony in the Americas, and it's the oldest inhabited European settlement. It has the first university and castle in the Americas too.

Dominican Republic is known for its baseball players, beaches, the creation of Merengue and Bachata(musical styles). Well, I think that's it.

Boston is known as the "birthplace of the american revolution" because many of the events leading up to the start of the american rev started in Boston! Many things that happened during wartime happened here as well, so it is all around a very historical city.

Boston is also called Beantown because beans were very popular way back when - people would put then in to stew overnight saturday and they would be ready when people got out of church services on Sunday (which were generally very long). The song "My Country, Tis of Thee" was first sung in Boston at the Park Street Church then titled as "America", and Boston Commons is one of the oldest public parks in America. Oh oh oh and our underground subway system is the oldest in America - 1895!

Salem, Massachusetts (where I was born) is most famously known for the Witch Trials that occurred in the Winter of 1623 - to Spring 1963. It is also known as being the hometown of Nathaniel Hawthorne, who wrote "The House of the Seven Gables" - which is in Salem, actually - and also "The Scarlet Letter".

Lowell, Massachusetts (north of boston, like Salem) is famous for being a very old mill town where some of the worker's rights movements started. Thank Lowell for the 8 hour work days xD A lot of worker's movements started here!

Yep, that's it! lol :D

Orust is known for being Sweden's third largest island ... mm I really don't know. Our shipyards Hallberg-Rassy and Najad (before they want in bankruptcy at least) The old fishing communities I guess.

My hometown Tacloban, Philippines was known for this back in WWII.

General MacArthur's return to the Philippines fulfilling his promise made 3 years prior, this marked the turn of the tide in the Pacific. (Technically he landed in Palo which is just under Tacloban but his HQ and even old mansion is in Tacloban.)

Edited by sirbenedictvs

What makes your town/city/state/country stand out?

The city I live in, Auckland, is the second most spread out city in the world (such a nuisance lol) and has more boats per capita than anywhere else in the world which is why it has been named the "City of Sails", I guess that's all we're known for :rolleye0012:

New Zealand is known for its greenness, cleanness and stunning scenery. Oh, and having more sheep than people.

I will admit that I did not know that

In Virginia where I live, my state is known for it's old buildings that is dated back to the civil war era and for it's mountains and nature. We also have a lot of farmland where we grow tobbaco and other products as well.

• 2 weeks later...

seafood, rice-a-roni, sourdough bread, ghiradelli chocolate, pyramid building, golden gate bridge, haight ashbury hippies, Summer of 67, gold mining, first city to legalize gay marriage, huge a** burritos, North Beach Italian food, Chinatown chinese food, Castro, oldest longest operating street trolleys, highest real estate prices in America, earthquakes, trannies

• 2 weeks later...

My area The Cotswolds, is famous for its stunning scenery, rolling hills (it is an Area of Outstanding Beauty) etc, and for having some of the best quality limestone in the Europe. Now you may not think limestone to be important, but it goes into many things, for example, the toothpaste you used this morning will most probably have limestone in, and the medicine you take will most likely have Calcium Carbonate in, to get that Calcium Carbonate, you have to extract it from the purest, best quality limestone!

My county, Gloucestershire is famous for being the birthplace of JK Rowling and Edward Jenner, the man who discovered the vaccination..

Sorry for the double post, but i just remembered another thing my area is famous for: Fred West, the serial killer :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Germany is known for adolf hitler and second world war we are the bad country in history and the world and it will follow us till the death :(

...well, the unbeatable hospitality..with all the beaming faces despite of poverty..mail order brides (sadly!)..OFWs...an archipelago with the most number of islands I guess...great tropical climate..panoramic views..the largest Catholic country in Asia..

Yep, I'm just gonna quote my answer 4 years ago since it's still the same. Philippines FTW!