The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Hi everyone, I got an A in my GCSE Maths and I'm going to be starting voluntary work in a school soon, they want me to work in the Maths department and if I get on well it looks like it would possibly turn into a perminant thing with some teaching training in there. My only issue is, I haven't done Maths for 5 years + does anyone know a good book to just remind myself of the GCSE or equivalent mathematics. I don't want to start looking like a complete idiot.

I would buy a couple of the 'CGP' revision books or similar for the various GCSE courses (and possibly a-level too) and work your way through them, and then download a wad of 'GCSE PAST PAPERS' along with mark schemes from the exam board websites, and see how you get on with them.

If money is an issue, it might be worth asking the school if they have any old copies of textbooks/revision material they could lend you for the few weeks leading up to it too

Thanks, I'll have a look at the past papers, my boyfriends going to ask at his school about revision books to see if we can get some free, he's a science teacher so hopefully he'll be able to get some. otherwise I don't mind paying for some... I'll look at those ones you mentioned :)

A good book on GCSE Maths? Buy the GCSE book on Maths? There is only one that school use for GCSE Maths I still have mine. There's loads of other cheap ones too. But if you want the proper material only WHSmiths sells them Donna. You get the English ones to like for Hamlet etc. One's for other subjects like Science.

Is what you use in lessons;

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780435585303

Is what you use to study at home;

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9781841465364

I still got both of mine from when I was at school a couple of years ago. I'd mail them to you but I'm using them this year for Media. D:

Thanks Jade, and thanks I appreciate that you'd mail them if you didn't need them :)

I'll have a look next time I'm in town. I've bid on a CGP one on ebay, as they're the ones Ash uses for his students as well (shame he's a science teacher really lol) Have to see how much it goes for though.

One big releif is after going in today I'm definatly just observing for the first lesson or two so I'll be able to get an idea of what we're doing lol.

its also worth finding out which exam board the school you are teaching at uses, as they tend to have slightly different curriculum from board to board, although the differences should be minimal, and from what I remember, the CGP books cover all the boards, and tell you if a topic only applies to individual ones :)