The Emma-Watson.net Forum

From baroque chorales to the simple songs of the Taize community almost every faith and group within a faith that I know of uses music as a part of worship and expression. I thought this thread could be a good place for people to talk about the place faith music has in their own lives and religious communities as well as some of their favourite faith music. My personal favourites are baroque and classical sacred music, oktavists and a variety of the gospel traditions of the southern states in the U.S. and in my church music is really just part of the service, there seems to be little enthusiasm for it anymore. As may be obvious I am a Christian and I only really know about christian faith music but I'm very curious about other religious groups' musical traditions.

Thank you for posting! This is very similar to the favorite religious song topic HERE so feel free to post in there to direct the discussion that way, if you would like. So I guess what you're saying here, is what part music plays in the different types of worship.

I am also Christian, and I really love contemporary Christian music; I think it's very touching and it gets a good message across. In Islam, they have various religious songs but from what I know they don't play them at a Mosque or during prayers. I think it's just for personal listening. I'm not sure about Judaism! I would assume that there are various religious songs for every religion and music that means something or is a part of worship in some way.

Faith music spreads over a huge spectrum for me.

Right now I'm listening to stuff you'd play in church, but I'm really into Christian Heavy Metal ranging from really light stuff like Skillet right through to the heavy stuff like Impending Doom.

The thing is to not let yourself be confined to a tiny range of music that you would call faith music.

I get just as much, if not more from the heavy stuff than the light "Church worthy" stuff.

But faith music is amazing, it brings groups together, masses together. It brings people closer and into the presence of their God. Its a truly amazing gift we have been given, and something that those that don't believe are really missing out on.

Music has always been used as a form of worship. Years ago, and in some instances even today, Monks chanted and sung. Hymns and Psalms bring people together when they are used during a service.

Its a communal act of praise that everybody can take part in. Some of the so called Modern Churches use a more contemporary type of music, which is fine, it allows people to take part in their own way.

Mhm, I actually really like contemporary Christian music. I think the message is good and a lot of it (and heavy metal as well, as Joe has mentioned in other posts) touches upon issues that are important like self image and doubt. I like the music that's not so obvious, like stuff that could have a double meaning. It really varies on what my mood is for the day! Like right now, for example, I really like God of Wonders by Third Day and Starry Night by Chris August. Those are pretty blatant to what they refer to but they are sooo catchy!

In Judaism, music plays a HUGE part in worship. We sing a lot in our services. We have tunes that are medieval and some contemporary. But, contemporary means like 1800s lol.

There is what I call "pop" Jewish music. Many Jews don't listen to secular music so there is a HUGE place for this, but I don't like it much. I prefer using it in worship.

What I do love is the recordings of the songs we use in worship or recordings of the Psalms. Some of these songs are so amazing I cry every time I hear them. I love those songs.

Oh and everything in Hebrew usually. There are some new musicians who are trying to have a modern sound and they do sing in English, but its kinds of weird lol.

This new music is great for younger people, but there are a lot of churchgoers who are older, and they prefer more traditional music. The best thing to do is have a bit of both during the service, if thats possible.

Edited by Emmas Friend

Music has always been used as a form of worship. Years ago, and in some instances even today, Monks chanted and sung. Hymns and Psalms bring people together when they are used during a service.

Its a communal act of praise that everybody can take part in. Some of the so called Modern Churches use a more contemporary type of music, which is fine, it allows people to take part in their own way.

Exactly, its like prayer. It unites a mass of people to become one.

Mhm, I actually really like contemporary Christian music. I think the message is good and a lot of it (and heavy metal as well, as Joe has mentioned in other posts) touches upon issues that are important like self image and doubt. I like the music that's not so obvious, like stuff that could have a double meaning. It really varies on what my mood is for the day! Like right now, for example, I really like God of Wonders by Third Day and Starry Night by Chris August. Those are pretty blatant to what they refer to but they are sooo catchy!

What post haven't I mentioned Metal in? haha

The problem I find with the modern Worship Music is that its starting to become a bit repetitive. I love some of the slightly older stuff like He Reigns or Shout to the North and the South, or Stronger. I also think that there shouldn't be worship bands touring and releasing CD's like bands like Hillsong do. I mean Hillsong is great and do amazing things, but its becoming almost too much like a regular band now I think.... Its almost loosing its Worship music touch. But that's just my opinion.

And speaking of my music again haha. I find that it touches on a lot of stuff that secular Christian bands do not. For example, false preachers, the battle with the Devil we all face, our emphasis on material goods etc..... I could go on for a while. I think that its something that needs to be talked about because we seem to be ignoring all this stuff nowadays.

In Judaism, music plays a HUGE part in worship. We sing a lot in our services. We have tunes that are medieval and some contemporary. But, contemporary means like 1800s lol.

There is what I call "pop" Jewish music. Many Jews don't listen to secular music so there is a HUGE place for this, but I don't like it much. I prefer using it in worship.

What I do love is the recordings of the songs we use in worship or recordings of the Psalms. Some of these songs are so amazing I cry every time I hear them. I love those songs.

Oh and everything in Hebrew usually. There are some new musicians who are trying to have a modern sound and they do sing in English, but its kinds of weird lol.

Haha, never thought I would hear that genre! "Jew Pop"! haha.

I would be keen to hear some of your songs that play in your services!

Haha, never thought I would hear that genre! "Jew Pop"! haha.

I would be keen to hear some of your songs that play in your services!

hahaha well thats just the name I gave it! Idk if anyone else uses it. Well, they are not used in actual services because we don't do that. Well, the tunes are used. But, people record certain tunes and such that I like to listen too. Its usually really hard to find stuff but I did manage a few.

1. In English this is called the Woman of Valor. Traditionally, a husband sings this before friday night dinner as a sort of thank you. I love this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6XbOspqqk

2. We sing this everyday in our mourning services. There are a million different tunes. I am not so familiar with this one, but thought it was lovely. This is one of my favorite prayers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4Br16p5Uc

3. This is acapella from my school lol. This is years after I graduated but they are so good so obviously I had to include it. There are a few different songs in here. Some from services and some not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frigmktCVKs

• 2 weeks later...

We chant Byzantine hymns in the Church and i'm loving them because there is not musical instrument just the voices but it actually sounds like there is an instrument on the background when it's actually the voices of the people who are chanting.

I'm posting an example, the well known Hymn of Love by Apostle Paul. He chants in ancient Greek, but there is also the English translation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NdRrteT_U

• 12 years later...

Наша бригада квалифицированных мастеров находится в готовности выдвинуть вам инновационные методы, которые не только ассигнуруют долговечную покров от холода, но и дарят вашему зданию модный вид.
Мы работаем с последними составами, заверяя продолжительный срок использования и замечательные решения. Утепление фасада – это не только экономия ресурсов на тепле, но и забота о экологии. Энергоспасающие технологические решения, какие мы внедряем, способствуют не только дому, но и поддержанию природной среды.
Самое основополагающее: [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Утепление фасада цена[/url] у нас открывается всего от 1250 рублей за кв. м.! Это доступное решение, которое метаморфозирует ваш домик в действительный тепловой уголок с минимальными затратами.
Наши труды – это не только теплоизоляция, это формирование области, в где любой элемент отразит ваш индивидуальный манеру. Мы учтем все ваши требования, чтобы воплотить ваш дом еще еще более теплым и привлекательным.
Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]ppu-prof.ru/[/url]
Не откладывайте заботу о своем доме на потом! Обращайтесь к мастерам, и мы сделаем ваш дом не только теплее, но и моднее. Заинтересовались? Подробнее о наших работах вы можете узнать на сайте компании. Добро пожаловать в мир спокойствия и уровня.