The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Help Translating Letter from Russian to English

My mother has had a letter for years that was written to her father from a member of his family just before he passed away. The letter is written in Russian and my mother was never taught Russian by her parents. She recently gave me a copy of this letter and I am trying to post it here (the quality from my webcam may make it too poor to read) to see if anyone might help me translate it from Russian to English.

She imagines the subject matter is in response to his telling his family that he was going to die of cancer, so the subject matter is not likely to be too happy.

I know this is a bit of a stab in the dark.... but if anyone is able to help I would be grately appreciative of any effort. Thanks so much if anyone can try :3m_sie: . If not or if the quality of what I posted is too poor... I understand and will try and seek out another way to get it translated. Thank you. :) --- Jon

the first 3 images are the first page. I overlapped the shots of the page.

the second 3 images are the second page. Again I overlapped the snap shots.

Once again. If anyone can help. Bless you and thanks so much! :3m_sie:

I would suggest taking the original copies, or even copies of that letter to a professor of Russian in a nearby university whose department encompasses that language. Try searching .edu websites and e-mail whoever it may be who can be of help to your quest to identify what was written in that letter.

Best of luck.

I would suggest taking the original copies, or even copies of that letter to a professor of Russian in a nearby university whose department encompasses that language. Try searching .edu websites and e-mail whoever it may be who can be of help to your quest to identify what was written in that letter.

Best of luck.

Thanks Kimberly! That's a good idea. I imagine at least one of the local colleges teach Russian. :)

I like Kimberly's idea. However, if you can't find a nearby Russian, you can always learn the different keystrokes for Russian language on the keyboard and enter it into google translate. Usually, it is correct.

Another option is to learn Russian :yesyes:

I can read Russian but that looks like cursive Cyrillic, I can still read it but I have to think about it longer than manuscript. My Russian is extremely limited so don't both asking me directly for translation lol. After that I guess I/you can pop it into Google translate (I know I know but you'll get the jist of what's said at least). There are I think two Russian members on these forums, maybe ask them?

Thanks Chandler and Jeremy. I knew there were a couple of Russian members here and I've spoken with one of them at least, but I don't know either of them well, so I thought it best to post it here rather than solicit specific assistance from someone in the event that they may not be comfortable. >.<

I've already started to look into which local schools may teach Russian. Hopefully at least one of them does and I am able to meet with a professor who might be kind enough to try and translate the letter for me. >.<

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i know russian! i can try translating it for you, although some parts of the letter are a bit blurry so it's hard to make out the words

thank you so much if you are able to help! I will try to break it down a bit more and take some clearer pictures as best I can with my silly webcam and post it here. If you want to post translation here or pm me or send to my e-mail or whatever is best/easiest for you that would be great.... please let me know. If you are not able to read it or translate it that is fine too! I so appreciate the offer. Thanks! :D Jon

several pictures of the first page...

I also don't know if the writing is sloppy/difficult to read in that sense.. no less the blurry web cam pics. So IF you can do anything. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... if you can't or have to omit parts that is fine and thank you too for trying. :yesyes:

"Hello dear brother Polya!

Greetings from all our family.."

Basically the writer(his sister apparently) apologizes for bothering him with her letter but she's wondering where has he gone and why he's not keeping in touch. She and her whole family are all worrying..She's wondering if they had hurt him in any way, in that case she's saying sorry. She's saying thanks for the package he had sent earlier, and that she has no idea if he had received the letters and photographs she sent after that to him.

Is there any way you can scan the letter? xD

i can't make out all the words hence can't compose full sentences :<

I need to go now, i'll try the rest later today!

"Hello dear brother Polya!

Greetings from all our family.."

Basically the writer(his sister apparently) apologizes for bothering him with her letter but she's wondering where has he gone and why he's not keeping in touch. She and her whole family are all worrying..She's wondering if they had hurt him in any way, in that case she's saying sorry. She's saying thanks for the package he had sent earlier, and that she has no idea if he had received the letters and photographs she sent after that to him.

Is there any way you can scan the letter? xD

i can't make out all the words hence can't compose full sentences :<

I need to go now, i'll try the rest later today!

Actually I have been able to scan the letter (In Adobe Acrobat) with the help of a dear friend! =D Is there an e-mail address you are comfortable enough in pming me so I can attach the scanned copy straight away? If not. No worries... and I will try to figure out some way to post the scanned copy.

I am really surprised by the subject matter so far and it's amazing in that I never imagined the letter might raise more questions than provide answers. Thank you SO MUCH for all you've done so far... it's fascinating to me and I'm so curious as to what my mum will think of it when I get the chance to tell her. =D

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! - Jon

This letter is not a response for your grandpa's dying of cancer as you may have understood already...They didn't know of his sickness, either he didn't let them know of it or his letter was lost..

Anyways, i translated all of it. I'm typing it right now and inboxing you right away :)