The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Real Superpowers

Maybe humans can't fly, can't run faster than sound, can't melt something by seeing or can't explode something by thinking, but there are humans with some awesome abilities.

- Tetrachromacy: condition of possessing four independent channels for conveying color information, or possessing four different types of cone cells in the eye. Organisms with tetrachromacy are called tetrachromats. Tetrachromats are able to perceive 100 million colors, average people can see 1 million.

Tetrachromacy is thought to be much more common in women than men: estimates range from 2 – 3% to 50% of women. Interestingly, colour-blindness in men (much more common than in women) may be inherited from women with tetrachromacy.

Something similar, but with tastes instead colours, is the supertaste. Supertasters experience taste with greater intensity than the rest of the population.

- Echolocation: ability of humans to detect objects in their environment by sensing echoes from those objects. How cool is that?! This ability is used by some blind people for acoustic wayfinding, or navigating within their environment using auditory rather than visual cues.

- Synesthesia: neurologically based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.

In one common form of synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored, while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities.

Studies from 2005 and 2006, using a random population sample, suggested 1 in about 23 people have synesthesia.

- Absolute pitch: ability of a person to identify or re-create a given musical note without the benefit of an external reference. People with absolute pitch are capable of identifying and reproducing a tone without needing a known reference. It is not simply a better ability to hear but the ability to mentally class sounds into remembered categories.

- Eidetic memory: ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with extreme precision and in abundant volume. Those with eidetic memory remember very specific details, such as where a person was standing, what the person was wearing, etc. They may recall an event with greater detail while those with a different memory remember daily routines rather than specific details that may have interrupted a routine.

Note: Superman had eidetic memory. Also, Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.

This is so cool will! I've heard about a couple of these. Absolute pitch comes up a lot in music, mostly because it is so rare to find someone with it. So musicians talk about how awesome it would be to have it xD One of my favorite broadway actresses, Kristen Chenowith, has absolute pitch. And her voice is INCREDIBLE!

What else...hmm. I have never heard of echolocation before but it that is so cool!! I've heard of something like it, I know that when in humans, when a sense is cut off the others have to magnify to make up for it. I know that in blindness hearing usually becomes better. This is awesome! Great topic Will! Forgive my awful sentance structure - I am EXHAUSTED.

I once saw an video about a blind man/boy who used echolocation with great precision. He could click his tongue and with the sound that came back he could accurately describe what was in front of him. It was quite amazing.

This is so cool will! I've heard about a couple of these. Absolute pitch comes up a lot in music, mostly because it is so rare to find someone with it. So musicians talk about how awesome it would be to have it xD One of my favorite broadway actresses, Kristen Chenowith, has absolute pitch. And her voice is INCREDIBLE!

Absolute pitch? Is it possible that "absolute pitch" refers to "perfect pitch"?

If so, I believe I have that. xD. At least, I was told in my first semester of uni that I had it. I was taking a music fundamentals course and dreaded learning theory because it was so hard to grasp; we had to accompany our studies with playing piano, and then sing back the notes we played. When my professor saw that I couldn't do the Do-re-me scale without piano and explain difference between whole- and half-steps, he speculated that I have perfect pitch.

Served me well with violin and cello. Sight reading music and singing is difficult for me because I have no understanding of relative pitch. Choir gets tough sometimes. xP

Super power for me? Eidectic memory, or whatever it was that Will wrote. :P

Clairvoyance

A person with this type of ability can see things not apparent to others, like receiving a vision of events or a visual impression about a person. This ability is often combined with others and is the most common.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

does anyone believe in the ability to be psychic? the ability to know things about people without asking or being told?