The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Can Be Naive

This quote from her interview in Parade magazine:

And one guy I dated didn't know anything about the films, much less that I was one of the stars, which I found hilarious.

Parade

In all her worldliness and travels and experiences and intelligence, I think Emma can be a bit naive when it comes to guys. I'm telling you from a guy's point of view that this guy she dated knew who she was and everything about her. Guys can see other guys' schemes from a mile away. Just like girls can tell what other girls' games are and when they're being manipulative or b**chy.

She's one of the most famous actresses in the world. Plus the whole Ivy League was abuzz with Emma Watson and which school she would pick. He knew who she was. He did his research and had a plan. His research told him she wanted to be a regular person and didn't want to be inundated with HP fans. His plan - hang back, take it slow. Don't be a part of the first onslaught of guys vying for her attention and/or affection. He played the waiting game.

Then when he made his move he acted as if he didn't know her. That's intriguing to her. It caught her attention and drew her in. It's like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine goes out with the unattractive, dorky guy not because she's into him but because he doesn't remember her. Same thing here.

Emma obviously likes guys and likes dating. That's why she's been seen getting close with so many. I believe she's an affectionate person and needs to feel close to someone and feel love. Some of her choices in guys has been less than stellar. If she doesn't have her brother and her father watching out for her, she's gonna end up with some douche that's going to break her heart.

Oh and btw, for the ladies on the forum - some guys are the real deal, they're really that nice. But a lot of guys will say anything they have to to get you where they want you.

Sorry for the getting on my soapbox there, it's just that how some guys treat women really gets under my skin.

The Dude....(where you little dave back at the old forums?)

anyway, when i read that article, that sameee exact thing popped in my mind.

its the same thought i had with the "best girlfriend at brown" bit.

they both knew who she was. she's very famous, even if they didnt see her in the movies themelves, they would've seen posters, trailers, stuff on the news, internet or even from people they've solicalize with.

Emma just wants to be known as EMMA not as hermoine or "that harry potter girl"

now, theres a chance they might've never heard of her...but i think theyve wouldnt been bluntly blind or deaf not to have heard of her.

and about the guys comment... well, yes there is some guys out thee trying to woo girls, and blahblah, but it comes with the trust factor.

I trust that my boyfriend of 3 years would'nt lie to me when he tells me im the most beautiful girl in the world. (i know im not) but he says that beauty is in the eye of the beho9lder.

*shrugs*

anyway,

yes i think Emma is kinda accpeting the fact that she wants to have friends, regardless of what they know about her..

No, I was not little dave on the old forums.

A guy that's been your bf for 3 years is quite a bit different. There's a level of trust and familiarity there. But when he tells you you're the most beautiful girl in the world he's telling the truth. You are the most beautiful girl in the world...to him. And that's what matters.

As with Emma's best girlfriend at brown, she probably did know who Emma was. It'll be a loooong time before Emma is not Hermione anymore. But Emma so desperately wants friends that she's going to have to make some compromises. Her girlfriend may have been her friend because of who she is but after she got to really know her she may be just a real good friend.

But with guys it's a different story. If Emma's not careful, she's playing with fire and may not even know it. Girls really have no idea about what guys are capable of - good or bad. Some girls just automatically believe the worst about guys and don't realize that some are capable of being nice, loving, caring gentlemen. Some girls always believe the best in guys and don't realize when they're being used. A guy that you've just met recently will tell you that he understands you and you're hurt, pain, dreams, loves, ideas etc. He'll say he gets you and he'll say he likes the same things as you just to get you where he wants you. And often times after he gets what he wants he is no longer interested.

Edited by The Dude

I agree with what you said. Although I hate to say it, I reckon they'll be a lot of guys out there who'd want to "use" Emma, just so they could boast that they had. I hope she doesn't fall for any of that.

By the way, were you Carlos Spiceyweiner?

This quote from her interview in Parade magazine:

Parade

In all her worldliness and travels and experiences and intelligence, I think Emma can be a bit naive when it comes to guys. I'm telling you from a guy's point of view that this guy she dated knew who she was and everything about her. Guys can see other guys' schemes from a mile away. Just like girls can tell what other girls' games are and when they're being manipulative or b**chy.

She's one of the most famous actresses in the world. Plus the whole Ivy League was abuzz with Emma Watson and which school she would pick. He knew who she was. He did his research and had a plan. His research told him she wanted to be a regular person and didn't want to be inundated with HP fans. His plan - hang back, take it slow. Don't be a part of the first onslaught of guys vying for her attention and/or affection. He played the waiting game.

Then when he made his move he acted as if he didn't know her. That's intriguing to her. It caught her attention and drew her in. It's like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine goes out with the unattractive, dorky guy not because she's into him but because he doesn't remember her. Same thing here.

Emma obviously likes guys and likes dating. That's why she's been seen getting close with so many. I believe she's an affectionate person and needs to feel close to someone and feel love. Some of her choices in guys has been less than stellar. If she doesn't have her brother and her father watching out for her, she's gonna end up with some douche that's going to break her heart.

Oh and btw, for the ladies on the forum - some guys are the real deal, they're really that nice. But a lot of guys will say anything they have to to get you where they want you.

Sorry for the getting on my soapbox there, it's just that how some guys treat women really gets under my skin.

Hi 'Dude'!

I had to comment on your post because i had the exact same feeling about Emma's comment.

I didn't believe for a second that the guy truly didn't know her. And the case applies to her best friendat Brown who claims she's not into Harry Potter.

Even when you are not a fan, is it even possible not to know Emma Watson AT ALL or haven't seen any photos of her?

I mean, have they been living under a rock or something? I don't believe it.

It is a pity that Emma, who is so smart, is being so naive about it and falling for such lies. I undestand she craves to be normal and blend in, but maybe in her path to look anonymous she's being oblivious to people's real thoughts.

I truly hope that, with time, she learns to distinguish the friends from the foes.

As Emma and HP fans, it may be hard to believe that there are people that don't know who she is. But they are out there. And probably quite a few. Now it might be difficult to have never heard her name, or seen a picture of her, but unless someone has an interest in Harry Potter, or fashion magazines, it might not stay in their mind. For example, I hear the name Demi Lovato a lot because I read news about Emma on celebrity sites. She's apparently quite popular, but I don't know what she does. Maybe a singer? If you showed me a picture of her and someone else, I couldn't pick her out. Unless the other one was a guy. The point is, I don't know anything about her because I have no interest. If I had never become a fan of Harry Potter, I doubt I would know who Emma was either.

She's been in this for 10 years. Don't believe she's so naive and gullible.

Dook, you took the words right out of my mouth. A lot of my friends love the Harry Potter movies (not that they really have a choice there :P) but when I say something like "Oh my god Emma Watson chopped off all her hair" and they'll all go Whose that? And until I explain, they're all pretty much oblivious to who she is. So my point here is that unless you are an Emma fan, you probably wouldn't regonise her, especially now with her haircut so I do believe there is people out there that will not know who she is. And we all know very well that Emma Watson is anthing but stupid, she's been doing it for 10 years, shes more than clever enough to work out who's just getting in with her cos she's famous. But at the same time, she cant go around with the idea that ALL her friends will never have seen a harry potter film, that is almost impossible but Emma will know this and I would never say she is nieve, she is simply a young college student, trying to live a normal life and have fun and I totally amend her for doing so. She could be out drinking, taking drugs etc but she's not. In my eyes she is one of the most wisest, intellectual people out there so to say she is nieve when it comes to friends/boys etc is a bit strong I think. This is a girl who knows exactly what she is doing and who she choses to be friends with.

well...yes, I'll have to agree on this one. They probably did know who she was. BUT! And yes, there is a but, some people really are just oblivious. I worked with a guy who didn't know who the Jonas Brothers were. And no, he did not live under a rock and yes he is perfectly normal. Granted, the jonas brothers aren't really people you WANT to know about (in my case, I don't really care), but they were (are??) extremely famous so it's very difficult to imagine someone who didn't know who they were. Some people just don't have an interest in harry potter, and have never seen the movies or read the books, that's just how it goes sometimes. I like to give Emma and just people in general the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with what you said. Although I hate to say it, I reckon they'll be a lot of guys out there who'd want to "use" Emma, just so they could boast that they had. I hope she doesn't fall for any of that.

By the way, were you Carlos Spiceyweiner?

Yes, I was Carlos.

There's a lot of guys out there who want to use women anyway and the fact that it's Emma Watson just makes it that much sweeter of a conquest so to speak.

Some of the posters on this thread are getting naive confused with stupid or clueless. It's not the same thing. We all know how smart and intelligent Emma is. And as I stated in my OP, she is worldly as she has seen a lot in her travels and met a lot of people but I think she has been somewhat sheltered from the dog eat dog world of Hollywood since she has, until recently, lived in England and the movies have operated out of England. Hollywood is just a place she goes to a few days out of the year to promote films. She hasn't really experienced the dark and seedy human nature that is Hollywood. I believe she can be a bit naive when it comes to social interaction.

These people may not be huge HP fans but I can guarantee you that they know who Emma is. For one thing a huge deal was made about Emma choosing Brown. Another thing, Brown is a very small university (I guess it has to be, just look at the tiny state that it's in). Heck we have some high schools over here that aren't much smaller than Brown. At a school the size of USC or Texas she could blend in and hardly be noticed. I've never read a Twilight book or watched a Twilight movie but I know who Kristen Stewart is. So just because you're not into something doesn't mean you don't know anything about. Especially if it's a cultural phenomenon.

Sure, we don't want Emma to get hurt because of her naivete. But we also don't want Emma to lose that naivete. It's what makes her who she is. It's what makes her so sweet. I don't think I'd like or admire a jaded Emma near as much. Yes, she's beautiful but I like her personality (at least the one she portrays to the public) as much as I like anything about her.

It's not THAT hard to believe someone hasn't heard of Harry Potter. You'd be surprised at how out of the loop some people are. Not sure if that's the case with this guy, however he might have also said that because he didn't want to make Emma uncomfortable. Who knows. But personally I think that while Emma is willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, she probably takes her own precautions. She did check to make sure no one posted pictures of her 20th birthday on facebook, so I imagine she has people checking the internet for stuff like that. And she never said her best friend didn't know she was in Harry Potter, just that she didn't read the books or watch the movies.

She probably only dated the guy for a bit and then moved on anyway.

Edited by KS987

In all fairness, it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that people haven't heard of her. When Michael Jackson stood trial a few years ago they had to find people in the jury who hadn't heard of him. They took some finding, but people like that do exist.

In all fairness, it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that people haven't heard of her. When Michael Jackson stood trial a few years ago they had to find people in the jury who hadn't heard of him. They took some finding, but people like that do exist.

They do exist. I just find it difficult to believe that they are that numerous in the target demographic. I'm sure she just dated the guy for a little bit but the point is, if she believes him she's likely to believe other people and other such outlandish lies.

I know quite a few people who havn't read the books and/or watched the films. I just started at a new university three weeks ago where I didn't know anybody and I'm still trying to find someone who will join me in seeing Deathly Hallows, because nobody really cares about it here (or at least I havn't found the persons who do). Unless you watched the films and cared enough about them to research who the actors and actresses are you wouldn't know Emma. Yes, she has been in several fashion magazines, but how many people do you know who actually read them (especially if they are male)? Emma has successfully avoided the gossip columnes all those years, while other people were in them on an almost daily basis, so that's another "you wouldn't know her".

I think it is very believable that she met someone who had never heard about her or Harry Potter before. Well, maybe he DID see a poster before, seen the books in an store or had even caught a glimpse of a trailer on TV, but be honest: How many franchises are there YOU never took interest in? Would you recognize their stars if you met them?

What I do think is that the people Emma became friends with will have watched a trailer or a film with her in it when they got the chance afterwards, after all, people are interested in what their friends are doing. I'm friends with people who have written books and have been in films, and when they have a new project coming up I do watch/read it when I get the chance. It's also a form of support.

Yeah, although I know a lot of people who aren't that interested but do know her as ''that girl from Harry Potter'' that is only because she has been brought to their attention to some extent, someone else they know has some interest in the films. But there will be some people who don't know who she is, last night a woman was mentioned on the TV-I had no idea who she was, my friend told me and apparently most people do, but I can't remember her name today or what she did :P

It could be that this guy was just pretending not to know who she was, but I doubt it, seriously you'd have to have a lot of patience to keep it up and if he wasn't interested in Harry Potter would it really be worth it, if he was a Harry Potter fan it would be harder to cover up the fact.

well, Emma isn't one of he most famous actresses in the world at all.Maybe for people he age. But I would dare to say that very few outside of the fandom has a clue who she is. . I know this because a lot of my friends from work wouldn't know who she is if she would come in where I work!

They ofcourse have heard of Harry Potter but they aren't fans of Potter or has have seen the movies. So I think its possible that she meet people who doesn't know who she is, or any of the potter kids for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to thinking about this subject again the other day. I'm still of the belief that the guy she dated was playing her. He may not have been an HP fan or known much about it but I still say he knew who she was. I know some of you disagree with me.

Just look at the facts. She's a huge star. The people she goes to college with have been the target demographic for Harry Potter since the movies began. A very big deal was made out of her choosing to go to school there. And it's a very small college. There's only about 6,000 undergrads there. As far as colleges go, it's hard to get lost in 6,000 people.

I've gone to a decent sized university that was a lot larger than Brown. And when a major American football star came to school there everybody knew. Even those who weren't into football knew who it was and knew him when they saw him in class or around campus. Now you're gonna tell me that a guy whose claim to fame is high school football is going to be more widely known by a much larger student body than a world famous actress, model and fashion icon would be known by a student body of less than 10,000?

I just don't buy it.

Thus, I think the guy was playing games.

it might be hard for some potter fans to believe, but i have friends who have NEVER watched a potter film, and couldn't tell you who emma was.

it's entirely possible, and that doesn't make emma naive. the entertainment business can be pretty sleazy, she's probably seen, heard and experienced more than most of us would ever know.

LOL You are over-worried. Like dook said, there are quite a few people don't have any interest in HP and its stars. I know some movie fans don't care about HP cause it's too childish to them so what's surprise they don't know who Emma is?

And mind you, some people don't care about entertainment industry at all, especially some traditional intellectual families. Remember what Emma said about her own family? She said her parents were concerned about academic only so she watched few movies at home in her childhood. If the guy she dated was raised like this, I don't think not knowing a movie star is a big fuss.

Dude, I normally see things pretty much the same way you do. And to an extent I can side with you. But I also know a lot of people who couldn't pick Emma out of a line-up. Another thing to consider. Magazines never print the entire interview. They edit them. I haven't read the article in question, but she may have said he didn't immediately recognize her, or something similar. Parade could have just used that snippet.

Also, she's never been 100% straight with the media about her love life. I'm just putting it out there. I'm not saying she would deliberately lie. And she very well may be naive to an extent. She's only 20. Her family did an excellent job sheltering her from the craziness a lot of people in entertainment get swept up in. And I can't see where her filming and promoting schedule the last ten years lent itself to much dating.

Edited by jayhawk

Dude, I normally see things pretty much the same way you do. And to an extent I can side with you. But I also know a lot of people who couldn't pick Emma out of a line-up. Another thing to consider. Magazines never print the entire interview. They edit them. I haven't read the article in question, but she may have said he didn't immediately recognize her, or something similar. Parade could have just used that snippet.

Also, she's never been 100% straight with the media about her love life. I'm just putting it out there. I'm not saying she would deliberately lie. And she very well may be naive to an extent. She's only 20. Her family did an excellent job sheltering her from the craziness a lot of people in entertainment get swept up in. And I can't see where her filming and promoting schedule the last ten years lent itself to much dating.

I hear ya jayhawk. I think the point that I was making in this thread was missed by many. People were getting hung up on whether someone would know who Emma is or not. I never said that some people may not know who she is. I just found it hard to believe that such a person would exist at such a small university. Especially considering the media circus that surrounded her visits to the different Ivy League schools and her eventual choice of said school.