The Emma-Watson.net Forum

JK Rowling: "I wanted to kill Ron Weasley"

Shock horror! Now this is serious news for Harry Potter fans: the book series' mega-rich author JK Rowling has revealed she wanted to kill Harry's best pal Ron Weasley (played in the films by Rupert Grint).

In a so-called "leak" from an interview in the special features of the upcoming November DVD release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Rowling made the controversial admission that she considered killing off Weasley out of "sheer spite" while she was in an "unhappy place" in her life.

"I think in my absolute heart of heart of hearts, although I did seriously consider killing Ron, [i wouldn't have]. It's a real relief to be able to talk about it all," Rowling said.

Phew! Now she's got that off her chest, fans can breathe easy knowing that she made the right decision to keep Ron and the other leads till the end.

What do you think about this? :o Is Ron one of your favourite characters?

Shock horror! Now this is serious news for Harry Potter fans: the book series' mega-rich author JK Rowling has revealed she wanted to kill Harry's best pal Ron Weasley (played in the films by Rupert Grint).

In a so-called "leak" from an interview in the special features of the upcoming November DVD release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Rowling made the controversial admission that she considered killing off Weasley out of "sheer spite" while she was in an "unhappy place" in her life.

"I think in my absolute heart of heart of hearts, although I did seriously consider killing Ron, [i wouldn't have]. It's a real relief to be able to talk about it all," Rowling said.

Phew! Now she's got that off her chest, fans can breathe easy knowing that she made the right decision to keep Ron and the other leads till the end.

writers always make decisions, so she made hers, hermione would of married somebody else, it would of changed the epilogue a tiny bit.

Well, Ron IS my favorite, so I don't think I would have been able to continue reading, honestly. But I do agree that it would have been interesting if any of them died.

Killing off Harry, I dunno.

His is my least favorite but he is the main character, we se the world through his eyes, so how would she have been able to write his death. I'm glad none of them died I think there where enough deaths anyway.

The only think she ever needed to change with the series (IF she could) is the epilouge. Its still that bad and poorly written.

I'm glad that she didn't kill Ron in the end. I'm sure she was just in a bad mood like we all are sometimes. Even though Ron wasn't my favorite character, I still liked the way he acted throughtout the movies and for sticking up to Harry and Hermione in the end.

I thought this was old news! Lol. Also, in the same interview joe says she was going to kill of hagrid as well. Then she had this vision of hagrid holding harrys dead body and decided to keep him. She said if she didn't have that vision she would have killed him off

writers always make decisions, so she made hers, hermione would of married somebody else, it would of changed the epilogue a tiny bit.

If that were the case I would have hoped it was someone who hadn't been cast in the movie yet. Then I would have flown over to the UK in a heartbeat to audition for the role..

I am just glad to hear that in all of these scenarios Hermione was apparently always safe.

It's hard to really care about this :/ she said she wouldn't have and even if she did, he's a character, he's my favourite of the trio, but its still just a book. Personally if I were her, I would have considered killing Hermione, but it really doesn't matter who she thought about killing and who she didn't think about killing, she's written the books now, its done and dusted

It would have sucked and been sad but whatever did happen would be upsetting any way. I wonder if she would have had Harry face his death like that in the book had Ron died. Then Hermione really would have been alone. But I felt any one of the trio could have died so this isn't as big of news to me. What upsets me more than anything is her revealing Lupin did not need to die. ggrrrrrr Rowling.... :angry:

He's not one of my fav characters, although I think he is a nice and easygoing boy. In all honesty, I wouldn't have cared much...You know, I would be curious to see Harry's and Hermione's reactions to his death and how they would face it. If JKR had done such a thing, I'm sure she would have earned everyone's hatred. Ron is the centrepiece of the trio

I get what she was trying to do, killing Lupin but I don't agree with it. Ya she wanted to bring the story full-circle but it sort of takes away from the fact Harry was the one who lost his parents. It isn't fair Teddy had to as well. And I know war isn't fair but.. I don't like what she did with that. Especially knowing she wasn't planning on killing him.. makes it that more frustrating. :sweatdrop:

Not Ron. D: He's the character I most relate to. It would have felt like I was dying because to be honest when she killed off Fred, I felt like my brother had died. I actually took the book and threw it across the room. My mother must have thought I was going insane over feeling so intense over a character in a book. :lostit: I love all 3 of them and I'm glad she kept them alive. Heroes prosper in the end and all that heroic talk ya know?

Edited by wunderbar

Not Ron. D: He's the character I most relate to. It would have felt like I was dying because to be honest when she killed off Fred, I felt like my brother had died. I actually took the book and threw it across the room. My mother must have thought I was going insane over feeling so intense over a character in a book. :lostit: I love all 3 of them and I'm glad she kept them alive. Heroes prosper in the end and all that heroic talk ya know?

I can totally relate to that! I cried my heart out when Dobby died..how much more if any of the trio was killed! I really don't know why my emotions get so intense sometimes over unreasonable and superficial matters..

• 4 months later...

I would not want that to happen! Sometimes Harry Potter is REAL 2 me..

I can totally relate to that! I cried my heart out when Dobby died..how much more if any of the trio was killed! I really don't know why my emotions get so intense sometimes over unreasonable and superficial matters..

Exactly.. I felt so sad when Fred and Dobby died, and when Tonks and Lupin were holding hands in the movie, I broke down, and my sister said I was crazy to cry so much in a movie. But honestly, Fred and Dobby and Tonks and Lupin didn't deserve to die.. :sob:

Edited by HermioneRules