The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Google Chrome

I recently downloaded it and the forum is totally messed on it. A black box keep glitching and then it messes the layout of them forum up when it disappears.

Anyone help?

EDIT: I can't get the black box it glitches way to quick for me. But he's a picture of part of the messed up layout.

Edited by Hermione
  • 1 year later...

rather than create a new thread for it I figured I'd ask here... (for curiosity's sake)

When the Bing and Google Bots are viewing threads, are they taking material from those threads and giving access to them through their search engines?

Or is there presence entirely unrelated to that?

I always kind of wondered about this.  >.<

Yes, those are search engine spiders crawling through the forum. I don't particularly like the idea, but then, that is how some people find the forums. In fact, that is how I first found the EWnet forums, through google.

Just to be clear, they only see what "guests" are allowed to see, so nothing in the restricted forums, or PM system, or anything else that requires a login.

Thank you for the prompt answer and explanation dook, I was always a bit curious about that.  I can understand the aversion to having the bots... is there no way for you to get rid of them? If there is not (which I imagine it must be tough or impossible to do seeing as you have not done so already) , hopefully the benefit of site advertisement to people interested in joining or reading the posts out weighs any draw backs.  >.<

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead

Excluding well behaved bots, like Googlebot, is quite simple. You just place rules that describe what they are allowed to crawl in a text file named robots.txt. The bot reads the file before it crawls the site. There are bots that ignore the rules, and to stop them would require setting the forum so that no guest browsing is allowed.

I do think the benefits outweight the negative aspects. I would guess many of the members found their way here through google, just as I did.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.