The Emma-Watson.net Forum

If you were Prime Minister or President for a week, what would you do?

The elections are on their way, there's an ad on New Zealand TV asking us what we would do if we were Prime Minister for a day (but I'll change it to a week seeing as you'd get more done), thought it might make an interesting topic here.

Ever wondered what it’s like to have the most powerful job in the country? What would you change, what would you do first?

hmm the question is what i wouldnt do if i was the PM lol.

anyways:

-i'd change the flag of Australia, take off the small Union Jack n replace it with the Aboriginal flag

kinda like this

-i'd make the whole week a public holiday

-end the war, bring the soldiers back, since its pointless to stay in the Middle East

-bring back the old Guns N Roses

-and lastly, pocket all the money from the treasury bwahahaha

edit: ask Emma Watson out for a date ;p

Edited by Slash

If i was PM for the week I would...

-Withdraw ALL British Troops from Afghanistan

-Spend as much as I possibly couuld in that week and shove it all onto my expenses :P

-Meet Barack Obama and other major world leaders

-Go on an "official" visit to the Lego factory in Billund, Denmark

-Buy loads of Lego

-Visit RAF Brize Norton and welcome the troops that I withdrew from Afghan earlier in the week

-Order the Treasury to print loads of money, 1/2 of which I would keep, and the rest would go towards bailing Greece out

-Call an early General Election in the UK in the hope of getting our current (sh*t) government out and bringing Labour back into power.

-Order the Treasury to print loads of money, 1/2 of which I would keep, and the rest would go towards bailing Greece out

Umm creation of money is far more complicated than that bud. You cannot simply print cash and pump it into the economy, that will diminish the value of the currency.

-----

Simple if I was President for a week I will abide by this to a certain extent.

"That government is best which governs least."

-I will ensure that the markets on the private sector remain that way, if Congress says otherwise, eff 'em. I want the least impact of government on the economy. I'm a capitalist. Let the economy solve itself, the more the government meddles in it the worse it gets.

-Deploy the military to certain flashpoints around the world and quell whatever conflict may be brewing there so we won't have to worry about it later. Better get rid of the problem now than risk waging a 10 year war later on down the road.

-I will veto all the cuts to military benefits and pay cuts to military salaries immediately.

I've seen Presidents who aren't able to accomplish a whole lot in 4-8 years, no less one week. If I focused on government issues, my week would probably be spent trying to get congress to convene. :rofl:

So with one week, I'd do very little as far as trying to enact any laws or generate support behind some kind of personal agenda for the American people.

I think I'd spend most of that week, by being visible as much as possible and generating support/raising funds for a variety of charities. Ultimately my one week stay would have very little impact on laws or policy. It would be more of a public relations campaign to try and raise money for worthy causes. :)

Do I get the security detail and the salary for the rest of my life, after my one week? :D

Umm creation of money is far more complicated than that bud. You cannot simply print cash and pump it into the economy, that will diminish the value of the currency.

I know that, tis very complex, inflation etc, but i couldnt care less!

I'd make sure all the Pensioners in the UK, had enough money to live on.

Cut VAT to 15%

Set up a programme to fix the potholes on our roads, perhaps some of the unemployed, could be encouraged to help a couple of days a week. ;)

Start a campaign to encourage people to live a greener lifestyle.

I would organise for more professional development days for teachers to learn more about new behaviour management theories and establish more alternative schooling options for struggling students, street kids and children with high behavioural problems.

I would also give out more grants to small towns and rural communities so they have adequate housing, health care and access to education.

• 3 months later...

I live in Canada, which means I wouldn't be able to accomplish jack as Prime Minister unless I had a majority government. If I did, though, I would probably spend that week reforming the voting process and how votes from different parts of the country are weighed. There are some retarded Canadians who dispute this but quite frankly the OMG U MUST VOTE LOL message is insulting to the intelligence because unless you live east of Manitoba your vote is effectively worthless. Due to the whole "rep by pop" bullshit if everyone in Central, Northern and Western Canada all voted the same way they could still get out voted by the residents of the eastern and maritime provinces. Seriously, you're better off convincing people who live in Ontario or Quebec to vote the way you want them to than actually voting yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was PM of NZ for a week I would rewrite our Treaty and make it say that everyone is even and no more ridiculous pay outs. Make it so people on the DPB have to get off it in 3 months or they get kicked off.

Fix some other stuff in the NCEA system

• 2 weeks later...

As Prime Minister i would,

- Bring petrol down below a pound a litre like in the good old days.

- Tax Cigarettes and alcohol more heavily.

- Build a few more prisons (might take longer than a week, but id implement it)- in doing this, the criminal justice system can lock more people away instead of giving them community orders.

- Heating allowance for poor families and not just for the elderly.

- Remove stamp duty for first time home buyers.

- Sort the benefit system out, as i know a family who do not work because it means they are better off if they dont work due to all the benefits they get. If they both worked, they would have to pay all their rent/council tax/bills.

- Tax the rich heavily.

As Prime Minister i would,

- Bring petrol down below a pound a litre like in the good old days.

- Tax Cigarettes and alcohol more heavily.

- Build a few more prisons (might take longer than a week, but id implement it)- in doing this, the criminal justice system can lock more people away instead of giving them community orders.

- Heating allowance for poor families and not just for the elderly.

- Remove stamp duty for first time home buyers.

- Sort the benefit system out, as i know a family who do not work because it means they are better off if they dont work due to all the benefits they get. If they both worked, they would have to pay all their rent/council tax/bills.

- Tax the rich heavily.

Now that is a bloody good list of things, you should run for PM next election :P