The Emma-Watson.net Forum

So ladies and gentlemen. I decided to make a topic about plagiarism in college. For those of you who do not know, plagiarism means "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," "purloining and publication," of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work(quoted from Wikipedia.) As for me, I've never plagiarized when I was in college and I do not plan on doing it. If you get caught by plagiarizing in college, you get an "F" on the assignment, have to do it all over again or you get dismissed from the course. So, as you can tell, plagiarizing is a very serious offense, and the consequences are dire.

It is and actually in my planner there are useful tips on how to avoid plagiarism. Basically, you just take the time to research and take your own notes, and then put them in your own words. That does not mean changing only a few words or so. You obviously have to deal with the consequences, but I guess if some teachers are nice, they'll allow you to do the assignment again but the most you can get is a 50%. I guess that's better than a 0, or F. That's only if the teacher is nice.

Dismissed from the course... no offence but that's least of your worries. You're facing copywright here that is a serious issue with the law. Police get involved and you can go to court over it and get fined a great deal of money. I know this because I studied the law the past 2 years. No teachers will let you get away with it. You have to quote it with reference to your bibliography.

Goodluck.

Dismissed from the course... no offence but that's least of your worries. You're facing copywright here that is a serious issue with the law. Police get involved and you can go to court over it and get fined a great deal of money. I know this because I studied the law the past 2 years. No teachers will let you get away with it. You have to quote it with reference to your bibliography.

Goodluck.

I know a guy in my class who plagiarized, and he was penalized by doing it all over again and only getting a grade no higher than 50%. I guess in university and high school it's more strict? I'm in grade nine and that's how it works at my school, at least for now.

to avoid plagiarism u can always referenced the materials, i've been using sources from the net and books and as long as u referenced where u get the sources from you'll b fine

Plagiarism is not necessarily copyrighting. They are different things. Yes you can do both at the same time but if you plagiarize it doesn't mean you are copyrighting.

Most commonly people plagiarize by copying another persons essay. That is not a copyright issue. But, you will probably get expelled. My English professor told us this crazy store that happened at Yale where year after year kids where submitting the same thesis for some sort of Phd in engineering. Well finally they caught on and like 30 people got there Phd and license revoked!

Plagiarism is a serious thing which is why in English 101 you learn how to write summaries. Everyone needs to learn how to write something in their own words and resist copying.

Furthermore, in order for anything serious to happen copyright wise an author of a book you are using in class or of a source text would have to sue a student. And, thats not really going to happen since the author isnt really going to find out.

The issue here is plagiarism on its own. Which is not only copying by writing. Stealing ideas can count as well. In my art class my teacher pays close attention to the kids who talk to each other. It has happened often where one kid is confused and asks another for help. And, what ends up happening is that one ends up completely copying the other. Not from seeing the project, just from the explanation.

I know a guy in my class who plagiarized, and he was penalized by doing it all over again and only getting a grade no higher than 50%. I guess in university and high school it's more strict? I'm in grade nine and that's how it works at my school, at least for now.

no you are correct. There is a difference between plagiarism and copyrighting.

Also, there is pretty much 0 chance police are ever going to get involved with an issue of plagiarism. Unless its like 1,000 kids all turning in the same essay.

Also, referencing doesn't completely get you out of plagiarism. Yeah you can use quotes and then make a bibliography. But, you still can't take someone else ideas then put it as a reference. There is a limit for how much you can take until crossing the line.

I have been in honors and AP English my whole life. I know this stuff like its the bible lol. And, I have seen so many kids suspended, expelled, gotten Fs, ect.

DONT DO IT!!! lol

Just thought I'd correct Arie. Plagerism is more or less Copyright. :) Plagerism is when you copy someones work word for word and you claim it is your own. That is what copyright is. They're the same thing but in different contexts. Both contexts apply to the same law act though. When people do it they have the same moral in mind. Copying someone elses work. Check google if your unsure Arie. :)

Edited by Hermione

If you read my post jade you would see that's exactly what I wrote. You can plagiarism a copyrighted work but every time you plagiarism its not an issue of copyright. Copyright is a reserved term. You know when things have those little c's with the circle around them? That's a copyrighted work. A simple essay in college doesn't have that. You pay for copyright that's why if you do copyright you can be taken to court. But that's not what plagiarism in schools is. You too would greatly benefit from a google search since I don't really thing you understand that there is a difference here. Yes in the sense of the definition both mean copying. But they are very different things. That's why we have two different words. Because they mean two different things. You can't get sued over plagiarism and the police won't get involved. Plagiarism is really a term used for school. Copyright is copying yes but its a bigger problem. You might want to do a quick search about the difference.

I am actually surprised that there is even confusion here. Most schools teach why plagiarism isn't an issue copyright and how it really just relates to copying other in school. I have had to sit through that lecture so many times in high school and uni.

Oh and to be clear because I know this can cause some confusion. I am not talking about ppls intention or the basic definition obviously. I am talking about there actual differences beyond the basic definition. You are only touching the surface of what the two are.

She probably failed the assignment. :mellow:

She did. There are a few things you can do if you feel you won't be able to finish an assignment on time, but simply handing in someone else's work (who had taken the course the previous year - my memory's not that bad :P) is not one of them.

• 1 month later...

As much as i hate referencing - I dont see the benefits of getting caught by doing it. Its not difficult to reference someone's words. But if we do it at my university we get kicked out and if you apply anywhere else my uni tells the other uni why we got kicked out. So basically your not getting in anywhere after you plagiarise.

• 1 year later...

Okay, since schools have different aspects of going about punishing students for plagarism, here's an opiniated question to ponder as far as the plagarism topic is concerned. Should a student be warned for plagarism (i.e, get a 0 on a paper) for a first offense, and then get "hit hard" so-to-speak (i.e. get expelled) for a second offense? If you were principal, or a board member on a school in which a student plagarized for the first time, how would YOU handle his or her punishment? What would drive your decision?

• 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...