The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Lost, how to meet God again ?

My father brought me up on theology, he is a minister and always taught me to understand the context in which christians have to read and appreciate the bible. There are many problems such as reading the old testament in the context of the new and also understanding both the hebrew culture and language in which the old testament was written (same with greek for the new testament). It's amazing how much confusion can be dispelled by understanding these simple aspects of context. If you are confused with the bible in some way don't confuse it with doubting God's existence, doubting yourself and your strength of faith is actually kind of good. It shows humility, God doesn't expect us to be perfect or strong he is strong for us. Anyway I'm going on a bit so I'll sum up how I feel about dealing with confusion with a little scripture.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

and he will make your paths straight."

-Proverbs 3:5-6

My father brought me up on theology, he is a minister and always taught me to understand the context in which christians have to read and appreciate the bible. There are many problems such as reading the old testament in the context of the new and also understanding both the hebrew culture and language in which the old testament was written (same with greek for the new testament). It's amazing how much confusion can be dispelled by understanding these simple aspects of context. If you are confused with the bible in some way don't confuse it with doubting God's existence, doubting yourself and your strength of faith is actually kind of good. It shows humility, God doesn't expect us to be perfect or strong he is strong for us. Anyway I'm going on a bit so I'll sum up how I feel about dealing with confusion with a little scripture.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

and he will make your paths straight."

-Proverbs 3:5-6

This is so great cereus, thank you!! I love this one because it just shows to have absolute faith in God and if we just stop worrying, He'll make everything okay.

I was having this issue yesterday, about how much we should take the Bible in context and this is what I came up with (with some opinions from others):

-the Bible has been translated so many times sometimes things get lost in translation

-humans wrote the Bible even though it was divinely inspired

-a lot of Christians micro-analyze the Bible where it wasn't meant to be done.

:)

All truth is already within. Every true principle, everything that is possibly true, YOU ALREADY KNOW. Didn't Jesus say our bodies are temples of God? Go within. Look towards yourSELF, and you will see God, for we are made in Her image.

~Revan

• 2 weeks later...

There are some huge posts in here! I'll try keep mine short!

But then, I had a hard time because my education is far from some biblic principles, for instance I strongly believe that women and men are equal and some verses don't express that at all. Plus I have some gay friends, I see them happy, and I wonder why I should disapprove this while they find a way to live their lives in a way that please them. Actually, I have beliefs but can't really generalize them. I feel I shouldn't judge others on their choices (of course I am against some behaviors, but only when they bully some people).

What exactly do you study may I ask?

The bible says that men and women are different. But not really in a negative way for either side. Men and women were made different and will be different.

For example, women will always be more hospitable then men. Men will always be more inclined to be the providers and protectors of women.

Either sex can do each thing no doubt, but we were made that way. We should be treated as equals on a whole.

As for your gay friends, don't look down on them for they are still human beings. We all live in sin in our own ways. Sure what they do is something Christianity disproves of but they still deserve your love and respect. And they will be happy, all worldly things will make us happy now, but what makes us happy and saved in the afterlife is different again!

The second thing is that my family is not religious at all, and I can't share my beliefs with anybody. I have a boyfriend too, and he has a kind of faith but not really believe in God, more in a supernatural power.

This is something I find hard to address. I've grown up in a Christian family so I don't know this pain.

But in the big picture it is more than worth it! Walk tall in your faith and your family will see how happy it makes you. That feeling you felt at church? Your family may become interested and want to know that feeling themselves!

Discuss it with your boyfriend too! If he has half an interest then all the better

So here's my issue : I don't know if I am a believer anymore, if I can trust everything in the Bible, if I am allowed to interpret some verses, being aware of the fact that I may interpret them in order to make things easier for me. I add that I don't go to church anymore, because I don't know which religion is the closest to my beliefs, and I don't know anybody in my town who could help me with that.

What do you believe that feeling in church was? What else could it be?

The bible is a very interesting book, somethings need to be interpreted and others don't. Which ones do is hard to know. I've been a Christian my whole life and I hardly know it! Go to different churches or bible studies to find out.

You don't have to go to church to be a Christian, but you need to keep in touch with God. Church helps to do that.

Shop around at different churches and you will find one that you like!

That feeling you first felt is your motivation!