The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Scientific Facts

It's been quiet around here, but well. I make this thread for you to post interesting facts (scientifically accurate, at the moment) that you find interesting. I start:

1. We remember better the names of people who smile the most. In a study with functional MRI at Duke University (USA) demonstrated recently that we remember better the names of people who smile. In their experiments, they asked a group of volunteers who saw pictures of people smiling and serious people, followed by their first names. Brain imaging of the subjects revealed that the orbitofrontal cortex and the hippocampus showed more activity as they learned and remembered the names of people smiling.

2. Measuring the length of telomeres of chromosomes we can tell how many years we will live. Recently demonstrated by a study from the University of Glasgow (UK) published in the journal PNAS.

3. Your genes decide what you buy. According to a study made at Stanford University and Florida University, there are preferences that are dictated by genetics and are not merely cultural.

When looking at the structure of the atom, we know that it is about 99.9999999999999% empty space. This means that everything and all matter is mostly empty space, including you. If you took all the empty space out of all the atoms in the earth, Including YOU and the rest of the population, the earth would fit in your hand,

That is so cool Will! I guess that means that more people will remember me because I do smile a lot! I bet that comes in very handy for a job interview, it'd be a good technique so the interviewer remembers you and you stand out more.

Also, I think the age thing is a good one, although I wouldn't like to know myself because then I'd just be dreading my entire life. I think that would make a very philosophical question for a lot of people.

• The Universe currently has over one hundred billion (100,000,000,000+) galaxies.
  • Each galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars

As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe … life, as we know it, is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of a percent.†By calculation, that means life is only possible for a period of one hundred trillion years (10^100 – 10^86 = 10^14).

• The Universe currently has over one hundred billion (100,000,000,000+) galaxies.
  • Each galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars

As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe … life, as we know it, is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of a percent.†By calculation, that means life is only possible for a period of one hundred trillion years (10^100 – 10^86 = 10^14).

Couldn't help myself... *giggle

It's been quiet around here, but well. I make this thread for you to post interesting facts (scientifically accurate, at the moment) that you find interesting. I start:

3. Your genes decide what you buy. According to a study made at Stanford University and Florida University, there are preferences that are dictated by genetics and are not merely cultural.

:rolleyes: So there's actually a gene that makes women buy shoes before anything else?:P

When looking at the structure of the atom, we know that it is about 99.9999999999999% empty space. This means that everything and all matter is mostly empty space, including you. If you took all the empty space out of all the atoms in the earth, Including YOU and the rest of the population, the earth would fit in your hand,

I never thought about that ;O

:rolleyes: So there's actually a gene that makes women buy shoes before anything else?:P

I guess haha

I like fact number one. For me, it is hard for some reason to remember the names of people that I know who don't smile. But the more they smile when I see them, or they see me, I remember their names more often. Hope that makes sense. :)

• 1 month later...

Tom - someone's been watching a lot of Brian Cox :P

ummm Richard Feynman got his first ideas of Electron/Positron spin in QED when he saw someone spinning plates

Alexander Flemming, despite "descovering" penecillin, ignored his findings until several years later when Howard Florey and Ernst Chain revisited the project and realised its full purpose and began production and trials

Entangled quarks break Einstein's rule that nothing can travel faster than c

Is that for sure? Or is that a hypothetical particle, like the tachyon? Oh, the college is keeping me so busy that I have enough time to read physic resources.

Entangled quarks aren't hypothetical. When one is flipped the other flips. However it flips instantly, not S/c seconds later which is Einstein's general rule. And Entagled doesn't mean a new particle. It's just a condition an up down top etc is in

• 2 weeks later...