The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Any university graduates or prospective graduates here? Asking for a second opinion.

I'm down to my senior year of undergraduate study at my university and I have been considering their offer of a Fast-Track program that allows me to start course work on my Masters degree before graduating with my Bachelors. This program basically allows me to take graduate level classes while still taking undergraduate classes in my senior year. The kicker being I won't be required to submit any GMAT or GRE scores through this program, that saves me extra stress and money not to mention earning my Masters a year early.

So here's my question, this program is done through my university. If I complete it I will earn both my Bachelors and Masters degree at the same institution. I have heard from many people that it's not really a good idea to get a graduate degree at the same school you received your undergraduate degree; something about not having a diversified education maybe? They really couldn't tell me an exact reason why by many people have told me that. But a lot of other people have told me otherwise as well. The mere fact that you earned a degree overshadows where you earned it was their explanation.

So should I pursue my Masters at my university or maybe find another school instead? (I probably will make this decision within a month or two)

Edited by sirbenedictvs

I say stay. I have never heard that its not good to have both you bachelors and graduate from the same school. I can imagine people saying that, but I honestly don't think it matters that much. Most of the people in know are staying in the same school. I have a few friends doing a similar program to the one you mentioned. Why cause yourself the trouble of having to apple to a bunch of different schools and spend more money? Then adjust to a new school? Ect. Is it really worth it when you already go to a perfectly good school? I just don't feel like its worth it. I don't think most jobs care about the fact that both your degrees are from the same school. I seriously can imagine people saying this because people get so obsessive about universities. But idk.... I say stay!

I personally never heard of that before :o

I never heard someone telling me that its any "better" to do the Master degree elsewhere.

Even if im still in bachelor studies and not sure whether I will do my Master degree in my current course of study and then do my second course of study til bachelor or vice versa.

"not having a diversified education" -> thats pretty inexplicable to me.

I mean it depends on your course of study whether its diversified or not. I for one can pick a lot of "modules" (courses) as I see it fit.

There is not much forced upon me, meaning lots of freedom. That depends A LOT on the course of study though!

"I will earn both my Bachelors and Masters degree at the same institution" -> thats quite common here, unless someone does a dual course of study or studies something into 2 different directions and then picks one of both institutions as his major one for the master.

May I ask where you come from? Even though the bachelor/master concept makes things easier CP (creditpoint) wise, some universities still prefer "certain ways of education" more or less :)

Knowing where your uni location might help me a bit to get an image of it!

Edited by passion

It really depends on what you are studying. Simply put, some institutions have better graduate programs than others. If you got an English bachelors degree from Harvard, you'd want to get your masters there too because it's the topped ranked school in the US for English. It actually doesn't sound like a bad way of doing it, especially with what you'll pay in tuition as a graduate student. Might as well limit your damage if they have a decent graduate program for the degree you are pursuing. Just a friendly reminder though, graduate classes are a lot harder and require more time than undergrad, so be sure you can handle the work load.

My school is ranked 17 among public universities in the US and top 40 (37 I believe) overall in graduate schools as of 2012 according to US News & World Report. My school does have higher rankings within their business school; studies such as engineering are among top 100 overall in Graduate Schools. It's not Yale but its pretty decent compared to other schools in Texas I was considering for my undergrad.

I double-majored in Marketing and Business Administration and I'm considering either an MBA (full-time) or MS in Management & Administration, International Management, (or Marketing- doubtful since my BS is in Marketing).

If the university you chose is actually a place where you feel good - then why having a change in mind? :P

I had a quick conversation with one of my professors about this.

He said a possible reason to change the university is based on the fact, that the bachelor is rather a degree for work while master is for scientific research.

So in case an other university supports the scientific research aspect more than the current one then this might be a reason.

I have to agree with Dax: "Just a friendly reminder though, graduate classes are a lot harder and require more time than undergrad, so be sure you can handle the work load. "

Keep that in mind!

• 3 weeks later...

If the university you chose is actually a place where you feel good - then why having a change in mind? :P

I had a quick conversation with one of my professors about this.

He said a possible reason to change the university is based on the fact, that the bachelor is rather a degree for work while master is for scientific research.

So in case an other university supports the scientific research aspect more than the current one then this might be a reason.

I have to agree with Dax: "Just a friendly reminder though, graduate classes are a lot harder and require more time than undergrad, so be sure you can handle the work load. "

Keep that in mind!

Yeah I quite agree with you.I dont like the academic atomosphere here in my university,so I finally made decision to get a master degree overseas after graduation,probably in Australia.

Yeah I quite agree with you.I dont like the academic atomosphere here in my university,so I finally made decision to get a master degree overseas after graduation,probably in Australia.

Interestingly enough, there are a lot (and the numbers are growing) of students coming from mainland China to study at my uni. Most of them are in their graduate levels but some are still undergrads. I think my uni has an exchange program with several Chinese schools but I'm not sure. (I know we do have an exchange program with Dongguk University in Seoul, South Korea; I missed the application deadline to study there this semester by a week <_<)

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Interestingly enough, there are a lot (and the numbers are growing) of students coming from mainland China to study at my uni. Most of them are in their graduate levels but some are still undergrads. I think my uni has an exchange program with several Chinese schools but I'm not sure. (I know we do have an exchange program with Dongguk University in Seoul, South Korea; I missed the application deadline to study there this semester by a week <_<)

Oh really,Im sorry to hear you missed the application.Because exchange program is a good way to expand horizon.I applied the program in my school and flew to France last summer.And I really had a nice time there taking courses,tourring around and picking up some French.

I know many Chinese students pour in to the United States.Not quite clear about the precise number in mainland China of overseas students,but I believe that 30% students around me here in Shanghai have the will to go overseas(US is a destination for most of them)My cousin is in Purdue.He started his American studying life when he was 15 I believe.