The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Hi All! On an older incarnation of this forum, there was a sub-forum in which users could sign in to an anonymous, collectively controlled user account and make posts that users might be uncomfortable with posting on their regular user name. I loved the concept and participated regularly, and wish to see it return.

Therefore, I propose the creation of this forum, along with a user account simply called Anonymous. The account would be restricted to this forum, and the password could not be changed. In addition, the forum is treated as a member-only restricted area forum, requiring a minimum of fifty posts and a month's active participation before being allowed to use the account.

Username: Revan

Forum Name: Q&A Anonymous

Forum Topic: Ask questions or discuss topics, anonymously!

Why do you want to make this forum?: To provide a valuable service to the community.

How can this forum benefit the entire emma-watson.net forum?: It allows the entire body to feel comfortable receiving feedback from Our community without any stigma related to personal identity.

Edited by Revan

Yeah,this sounds like a cool idea!

1.Joe O'Connor aka wheneverythingfalls

2.Demian aka Demian

3.Kim aka Kim LOL

3. Kim

I'm too lazy to copy and paste from my phone.

I love this idea. Might need the forum, it could come in handy :P

Mmmm not judging but I really don't understand the point of anonymity? In general i don't like anonymity. It seems to me that people usually love to hide behind anon and bash other people easily. Not that it would happen on this forum, pretty much everyone is lovely here. But it's really easy for a really new member to gain 50 posts pretty quickly and have access to the anon forum.

Anyways you get my point. I don't want to be negative, I will probably participate if this forum would be created, that's why i'm putting my name on and since it sounds like the advice forum a little bit but I just don't understand what would anyone got to hide. Anyways.

2.Demian aka Demian

3.Kim aka Kim LOL

4.Provehito In Altum

Edited by Provehito In Altum

I don't see the point of this forum as well. I mean if someone feels uncomfortable posting a reply or topic on this board, I thought it was possible to ask a Mod to do it (if I'm wrong here please correct me).

And everyone who has more than 50 posts can have, or has the password to this account? You could easily share the password with anyone. Even non-forum members.

I'm not too sure about this idea but I am leaning more towards yes. A lot of people could get targeted. I'm not pointing a finger but I know few people on here who wouldn't misuse this. I don't mean to target others I mean to also post rude topics. In your defence though it is a good idea.

If the two people who posted above, (no offence intended) don't agree with it at all and were only going to complain they shouldn't have posted. Your opinions are well respected but would have not been best to PM a mod or admin? Overall, it has to go through the admins anyway, before it's aproved. It's down to them.

I like the idea but I wouldn't use it myself, if I have problems or things to say I do it as me not hiding behind a grey anon face. I'm sure many people on here don't have anything to hide too. I'd probably also only reply in topics made if they interest me. That said I give this idea a vote of 6/10, causing me to sign the petition. =)

Good luck with it!

2.Demian aka Demian

3.Kim aka Kim LOL

4.Provehito In Altum

5.Athena aka Andrew

6. Hermione

If the two people who posted above, (no offence intended) don't agree with it at all and were only going to complain they shouldn't have posted. Your opinions are well respected but would have not been best to PM a mod or admin? Overall, it has to go through the admins anyway, before it's aproved. It's down to them.

I am not taking offense to this. Just want to say that I wrote it here instead of PM because this is meant to also be a discussion about whether or not it is a god idea. I am personally friends with Revan and I know he wont be offended by my questions. I also figured that some people may have similar questions as I do. Therefore, it would be more beneficial for Revan to answer questions here then in a PM. That way everyone can read it. Could help others get a feel for this idea better. I also did not complain about it all. I asked questions, which is allowed. I am perfectly allowed to post my concerns here. That way my friend Revan can explain his idea to me farther. Since Richard and Dina have also expressed worries they might benefit from this too. I don't understand why I would need to PM a mod or admin when I can just ask Revan himself to explain what precautions will be taken to make sure this isn't misused in any way.

I didn't complain. I have questions, that's why I asked them. And I wanted to point out some flaws/express my concerns.

EDIT:

I am not taking offense to this. Just want to say that I wrote it here instead of PM because this is meant to also be a discussion about whether or not it is a god idea. I am personally friends with Revan and I know he wont be offended by my questions. I also figured that some people may have similar questions as I do. Therefore, it would be more beneficial for Revan to answer questions here then in a PM. That way everyone can read it. Could help others get a feel for this idea better. I also did not complain about it all. I asked questions, which is allowed. I am perfectly allowed to post my concerns here. That way my friend Revan can explain his idea to me farther. Since Richard and Dina have also expressed worries they might benefit from this too. I don't understand why I would need to PM a mod or admin when I can just ask Revan himself to explain what precautions will be taken to make sure this isn't misused in any way.

+1

Edited by I am Not Purple

I didn't complain. I have questions, that's why I asked them. And I wanted to point out some flaws/express my concerns.

EDIT:

+1

That is all very well. =) Like I said your opinions are well respected. =)

Honestly,I haven't thought about it in a negative connotation. I guess,if you think about it (which I obviously haven't) there could be some issues with it and it could be used in a wrong way. I just thought it could be another mindless fun. Which I still think it could be. So,my name remains on the list.

To be perfectly honest,I don't know many people on this forum so I can't generalize,but the ones I do know wouldn't misuse it. I think it could be useful and fun. Plus,it can always be shut down if it turns out a disaster. But,I'm good either way,forum or no forum! :)

I'm not too sure about this idea but I am leaning more towards yes. A lot of people could get targeted. I'm not pointing a finger but I know few people on here who wouldn't misuse this. I don't mean to target others I mean to also post rude topics. In your defence though it is a good idea.

I like the idea but I wouldn't use it myself, if I have problems or things to say I do it as me not hiding behind a grey anon face. I'm sure many people on here don't have anything to hide too. I'd probably also only reply in topics made if they interest me. That said I give this idea a vote of 6/10, causing me to sign the petition. =)

Good luck with it!

2.Demian aka Demian

3.Kim aka Kim LOL

4.Provehito In Altum

5.Athena aka Andrew

6. Hermione

Thanks for Your support, I appreciate it. Every post is attached to an IP address; of course, anyone who posts truly targeting things in the Anon forum could easily be uncovered by their IP address and any associated accounts swiftly banned.

Thanks, Arie. You're absolutely right, I welcome discussion! If there are any problems with this idea, let's fix them, and find a way to make this work! If it does not work with anything We come up with, it's discarded. Simple as that. I, however, believe firmly that this is very workable.

Honestly,I haven't thought about it in a negative connotation. I guess,if you think about it (which I obviously haven't) there could be some issues with it and it could be used in a wrong way. I just thought it could be another mindless fun. Which I still think it could be. So,my name remains on the list.

To be perfectly honest,I don't know many people on this forum so I can't generalize,but the ones I do know wouldn't misuse it. I think it could be useful and fun. Plus,it can always be shut down if it turns out a disaster. But,I'm good either way,forum or no forum! :)

Absolutely right, Demian. There's no reason not to at least experiment with the idea, as it can easily be terminated if out of hand. What concerns might You have, and do You have any ideas on how to solve them?

I too am I worried hat people would misuse this. How do we prevent that? I have been talked about badly on here before. I wouldn't want to give anyone encouragement to do it again.

As I said above, the IP addresses of targeting or threatening posts could be uncovered and used to ban the associated members.

I don't see the point of this forum as well. I mean if someone feels uncomfortable posting a reply or topic on this board, I thought it was possible to ask a Mod to do it (if I'm wrong here please correct me).

And everyone who has more than 50 posts can have, or has the password to this account? You could easily share the password with anyone. Even non-forum members.

You can indeed ask a moderator to post for You, but that would be a ton of extra work on the mods! With this anonymous forum, any member with any concern can easily and anonymously voice it, or anonymously give feed back to the concerns of others. In addition, thanks for the concern about the password. Instead of a password, We could use a permission shield that permits members with access given by moderators, similar to how the other Member Forums work.

~Revan

Like my "other half" (of my brain...) said, aka Demian, I will be honest and admit that I hadn't thought of the negative uses an Anonymous Forum would have. I honestly can't see why someone would misuse it, although some people can and/or do. And, honestly, I can't give heed to "bashing", control, hurtful comments to others, or arguments. How old are the majority of us, anyway?

And, if I were to answer that, I would say the mean age here is the 20's bracket, although we do have older and younger members than that. It's a matter of personal responsibility. If anyone can't conduct themselves with integrity and/or dignity and give consideration to others, they would ultimately be to blame, not the forum in question.

The Anonymous Forum proposed may have a flaw, but everything that is made by humans is also flawed, no? We won't know the outcome, unless we try it. I read Revan's intention, and I still stand by my signature.

I think a forum like this could be fun and interesting to explore; it would do a good job removing stigma from certain issues people might otherwise be reluctant to speak about (but not hide). And I feel Revan is thoughtful enough to excercise his best discretion. And, if not, he would have fellow moderators/admins to seek advice from.

Best of luck. ;)

Thanks for Your support, I appreciate it. Every post is attached to an IP address; of course, anyone who posts truly targeting things in the Anon forum could easily be uncovered by their IP address and any associated accounts swiftly banned.

Absolutely right, Demian. There's no reason not to at least experiment with the idea, as it can easily be terminated if out of hand. What concerns might You have, and do You have any ideas on how to solve them?

You can indeed ask a moderator to post for You, but that would be a ton of extra work on the mods! With this anonymous forum, any member with any concern can easily and anonymously voice it, or anonymously give feed back to the concerns of others. In addition, thanks for the concern about the password. Instead of a password, We could use a permission shield that permits members with access given by moderators, similar to how the other Member Forums work.

~Revan

I do like the permission shield and IP idea.

I hope it all works out.

The same ones Arie,Richie and Dina pointed out. I haven't thought about the negative side of this forum. That it can be misused and as a tool to bash,insult or attack others. But like I said,the people I know wouldn't do such a thing and I still think it could be great fun. You know what they say,you can't win a lottery if you don't buy the ticket. So,I stand by my signature.

Plus,the people who would use it in a disrespectful and negative way could always be track down and removed from the forum altogether.

Like my "other half" (of my brain...) said, aka Demian, I will be honest and admit that I hadn't thought of the negative uses an Anonymous Forum would have. I honestly can't see why someone would misuse it, although some people can and/or do. And, honestly, I can't give heed to "bashing", control, hurtful comments to others, or arguments. How old are the majority of us, anyway?

And, if I were to answer that, I would say the mean age here is the 20's bracket, although we do have older and younger members than that. It's a matter of personal responsibility. If anyone can't conduct themselves with integrity and/or dignity and give consideration to others, they would ultimately be to blame, not the forum in question.

The Anonymous Forum proposed may have a flaw, but everything that is made by humans is also flawed, no? We won't know the outcome, unless we try it. I read Revan's intention, and I still stand by my signature.

I think a forum like this could be fun and interesting to explore; it would do a good job removing stigma from certain issues people might otherwise be reluctant to speak about (but not hide). And I feel Revan is thoughtful enough to excercise his best discretion. And, if not, he would have fellow moderators/admins to seek advice from.

This. One mind,girl we still got it!! :D

2.Demian aka Demian

3.Kim aka Kim LOL

4.Provehito In Altum

5.Athena aka Andrew

6. Hermione

7. Majestic

I support this idea. I agree with Revan that IPs could be used to uncover whoever would be behind verbal abuse. If it doesn't work out, then we can always abandon the project, right? I can imagine the need for anonymity (even more so than a username) in some cases, and I think that if it allows people to speak their mind on for example personal issues, it may help that person overcome those issues.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'm really, truly surprised at the response Y'all have given to this idea. Three more signatures, and We can start putting this into reality!

I can imagine the need for anonymity (even more so than a username) in some cases, and I think that if it allows people to speak their mind on for example personal issues, it may help that person overcome those issues.

This. That's the key idea of this forum. :)

~Revan

Edited by Revan