The Emma-Watson.net Forum

ReCAST the Harry Potter Movies

I know that this topic could take a great deal of time to think about, and it may not be a quick response type topic, but I have always been curious about how people might like to RECAST The Harry Potter movies if given the opportunity to do so and with the understanding that you could not cast ANY of the actors in the same character rolls.

I can tell you right now it's a virtual guarentee I'll get an answer or two or three in here where people say, "I'd recast it exactly the same way it was cast the first time. OR.. I'd cast Emma Watson as Hermione and Alan Rickman as Snape." This is not a thread to espouse the acting skills of the HP actors we already know, it's an effort to get us to think about who was not part of the original cast decisions, but MIGHT still fit well in certain rolls had we been starting from scratch. I think it's even fine to cast certain HP actors in different rolls from those they played in the original movie, so long as it's not carried to the point of recasting the entire movie with the same cast, although that might be a fun/funny exercise on it's own.

Now if you choose to go to the degree of only casting British actors as I believe (but I could be wrong) was part of Jo Rowling's deal with Warner Brothers, you are welcome to do so, but it is not a neccessity by the guidelines I'm creating.

So if anyone is brave enough to throw out their own ideas.. go to it, and maybe at some point I'll throw my own hat into the ring on certain rolls and who should play them. lol :unsure:

Well one idea I have is that I would have loved to have seen Johnny Depp in the movie. I think he could have added some kookiness to either Lupin or Sirius. Maybe even a Death Eater or Voldy himself. I love how Helena Bohnam Carter handled Bellatrix. I would have loved for that to be balanced more with another kookie adult character. In a way I find that no one can do better then Johnny Depp lol. I also would have loved for Tim Burton to have directed one of the films. He is my favorite director. I don't necessarily think he is the best fit. I am just so curious what he would have or could have done to it. I think it would have been so interesting to see. I would have loved to just have seen a little more kookiness, I love that!

Great topic Jon! It is interesting to think about!!

Lol yeah interesting....I've seen only half the HP movies so I don't even have the "complete" picture.....but u need to know a huge bunch of child actors to even recast the three main roles ?

Anyway even I find it hard to imagine anyone else in those movies except maybe Seth Green as Ron Weasley (if he is allowed to play it more "cool/laid back") ;)

Well one idea I have is that I would have loved to have seen Johnny Depp in the movie. I think he could have added some kookiness to either Lupin or Sirius. Maybe even a Death Eater or Voldy himself. I love how Helena Bohnam Carter handled Bellatrix. I would have loved for that to be balanced more with another kookie adult character. In a way I find that no one can do better then Johnny Depp lol. I also would have loved for Tim Burton to have directed one of the films. He is my favorite director. I don't necessarily think he is the best fit. I am just so curious what he would have or could have done to it. I think it would have been so interesting to see. I would have loved to just have seen a little more kookiness, I love that!

Great topic Jon! It is interesting to think about!!

I like your ideas :)

I'd love to have seen Tim's touch in Harry Potter, it would be way too awesome i think. As for Depp -God i love him- i'm trying to think about it, i can't find anyone whom he could play. He would be just too cool, i don't know how to explain, his performances are unique in a weird way. I don't know :/

I've been thinking about this for ages but i got used to identifying these specific actors with the characters that i can no longer imagine anyone else more suitable then them :P For some reasons i'd like someone else as Dumbledore. Maybe-i say maybe- Donald Sutherland? Richard Harris was by far the best. Too perfect. I'd also like to see a different Harry. More scrappy looking. I don't have a specific actor on my mind though.

Now about Voldemort, it's not that i didn't like Fienne's performance, it's the way they presented him. He was too..comical? I dunno he should be way more scary and creepy looking. I know it will sound weird but how about Rosalinda Celentano? Yeah i know she's a woman, but the way she portrayed Satan was beyond incredible and well, creepy: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2813303040/nm0147988

Edited by Provehito In Altum
  • 1 month later...

I rly dk. Maybe i would want 2 change harry potter. not 2 say dat Daniel Radcliffe's bad or anything.. but i would prefer a different character.I don't actually have any specific chrctr in mind...but. harry's hair should be messier.i think emma and rupert are perfect... but johny deep in it would be good.

We really needed Tim's vision for one of them. And Alfonso needed to have directed more than one because POA was brilliant. Oh and Chris Nolan to direct the last two.

Alfonso :wub:

i love his touch!

as for casting, Arie's Depp idea is great. He could possibly play ANY of the characters and it would be awesome haha. HP would def be a lot sexier :)

although its pretty sexy enough :D ijsutreallyreallylikedepp :blush: