The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I need help with a project and I thought it would be better if i posted it in here.

My project is supposed to be based in the Roman Empire period when the empire is about to "fall" and Christianity is starting to rise.

My job is to convince people to join Christianity, even though back then being a Christian was a risky thing because many were killed for it.

I need to know what is so appealing about Christianity?

I have a list i made which were some of the reasons many were so taken with it

1) It was a religion that was open to all, and not just for the rich or just for men.

2) It had a better afterlife/ promise of salvation

3) The Church took care of you

4) I also feel like since Jesus was actually real, it help many beleive in this faith because it wasn't something that came from the roman "gods" or from fables if that makes sense

i feel like i'm missing things, and i want to know what you all think. Maybe there are things that I can add that you guys can help me with?

It will be MUCH Appreciated

Wow, this is a hard assignment. Points two and four are in my opinion very valid points and I applaud your creativity in finding them. Point one, though, is something I think is untrue. The Roman paganism wasn't limited to rich men. Even though animal sacrifice was not performed by Roman women 1, there actually was a holiday for women only, the Bona Dea2.

As to point three, the Church wasn't prominent until 313 AD, when the Edict of Milan proclaimed religious toleration throughout the Empire. As far as I know, before that year they were kind of an underground movement. Not smart to promote an organization supporting a religion that is persecuted. Of course, in 325 AD, the First Council of Nicaea created the Nicene Creed, to which every Christian was to adhere and Christianity was proclaimed Roman state religion in 380 AD, by means of the Edict of Thessalonica. Even by that time, the Catholic Church wasn't comparable to the Church we know like for example the Church in the Middle Ages. By then, the Church had evolved into an organized system of churches, monasteries and other institutions that could provide charity for those who needed it. This was not yet the case in the fourth century.

One other upside to Christianity that comes to mind is that it was at the time a relatively flexible religion. With that I mean that it doesn't have as many rules in comparison to for example Judaism.

References

1. Beard et al., Religions of Rome, vol. 1, pp. 297

2. Ibid, pp. 296–297.

Edited by Majestic122

What you could do is actually go to your (if you attend one) church, or any church and ask the pastor or someone there what they are likely to have said back then.

You could add that it was a way that would stop people from having to preform sacrifices to get eternal life.

Wow, this is a hard assignment. Points two and four are in my opinion very valid points and I applaud your creativity in finding them. Point one, though, is something I think is untrue. The Roman paganism wasn't limited to rich men. Even though animal sacrifice was not performed by Roman women 1, there actually was a holiday for women only, the Bona Dea2.

As to point three, the Church wasn't prominent until 313 AD, when the Edict of Milan proclaimed religious toleration throughout the Empire. As far as I know, before that year they were kind of an underground movement. Not smart to promote an organization supporting a religion that is persecuted. Of course, in 325 AD, the First Council of Nicaea created the Nicene Creed, to which every Christian was to adhere and Christianity was proclaimed Roman state religion in 380 AD, by means of the Edict of Thessalonica. Even by that time, the Catholic Church wasn't comparable to the Church we know like for example the Church in the Middle Ages. By then, the Church had evolved into an organized system of churches, monasteries and other institutions that could provide charity for those who needed it. This was not yet the case in the fourth century.

One other upside to Christianity that comes to mind is that it was at the time a relatively flexible religion. With that I mean that it doesn't have as many rules in comparison to for example Judaism.

References

1. Beard et al., Religions of Rome, vol. 1, pp. 297

2. Ibid, pp. 296–297.

in my text book there were roman religions that were only for like the upper class and the poor/ servants could not be apart of it and i know there

was one that was only for men but it was probably a rare one

so christianity was not as strict as judiasm?

oh another one that comes to mind is that christianity was big on forgivness, right?

What you could do is actually go to your (if you attend one) church, or any church and ask the pastor or someone there what they are likely to have said back then.

You could add that it was a way that would stop people from having to preform sacrifices to get eternal life.

i am not christian so thats why im having kind of a hard time with this project

oh and that's a good point, but did the romans still continue their sacrifices near the end of the empire? i know their were gladiator games but those were for the criminals

If you really want an unbiased, expert view, you should ask a theology professor. I have no idea what kind of assignment this concerns, so it may be a bit overkill, but if you want to learn something, this is in my opinion a very good option. Seek out the website of your nearest university or go there yourself. I'm sure that a university professor would love to help someone out for an assignment in his/her area of expertise. He might even recommend you some online articles on the subject.

Edited by Majestic122

I know a little bit about the rise of Chritianity from a strictly historical perspective. In my art history class last semester we learns about it. I can help you with any of one facts of you need it. I am not sure if that's much help though. Let me know. I think I may even have the power points still. I might be able to send them to you by email. If I have them.

hmm... well it's not so much about the rise of it i really need help with why it was so appealing for people to join

what made them want to forget all the roman ways and devote themselves to this

i guess im asking why do you all believe in what you do?

thank you though arie!=)

I need help with a project and I thought it would be better if i posted it in here.

My project is supposed to be based in the Roman Empire period when the empire is about to "fall" and Christianity is starting to rise.

My job is to convince people to join Christianity, even though back then being a Christian was a risky thing because many were killed for it.

I need to know what is so appealing about Christianity?

I have a list i made which were some of the reasons many were so taken with it

1) It was a religion that was open to all, and not just for the rich or just for men.

2) It had a better afterlife/ promise of salvation

3) The Church took care of you

4) I also feel like since Jesus was actually real, it help many beleive in this faith because it wasn't something that came from the roman "gods" or from fables if that makes sense

i feel like i'm missing things, and i want to know what you all think. Maybe there are things that I can add that you guys can help me with?

It will be MUCH Appreciated

Good places to start historically about the rise of Christianity are these. I suggest you start research with these four periods: Rule of Emperor Nero Caesar. Military campaigns of Emperor Constantine I (particularly about the stories of the Battle of Milvian Bridge), The Franc rule of the former Western Roman Empire particularly by King Clovis, Rule of Emperor Justinian I just before the onset of the Black Death (this led to the growth of monastic living).

To make things easier on you. These were dire times in Classical eras. War, disease and death were daily norms during these times. People needed something to put their faith in, a spiritual safety-net per say. People saw Christianity as the answer to hold their faith in and it grew from there. Again these were good places to start your research in if you're project scenario is to gain Christian converts of people in these times.

Edited by sirbenedictvs