The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

uhm... possibly, but fans aren't raving loonies. I think no one right now would say that Emma allows for much insight, even if you're not a fan. So I think there is a valid reason for complaint on the side of the fans. More is better, yes, but that's not to say that I couldn't be satisfied with just a bit more information; as an example, during her HP years the flow of information was just fine.

The fans aren't complaining. Outside of this place, nobody is upset that she isn't making enough headlines with her private life.

I think I used the word paranoid, and that might not be too strong a word if you give as many interviews as Emma does but you're determined to never mention any issue that could lead to reporters trying to dig into it. That has to generate a lot of stress.

Like Emma, I'm also a very private person by nature. I genuinely don't like talking about myself.

I tend to avoid mentioning personal stuff during conversations. Doing that isn't stressful for me. It's just a natural instinct.

I feel most comfortable when the attention is not on my personal life. 

The most stressful thing that could happen to me would be having to discuss that with a very large group of strangers.

Some people just don't like to talk about that stuff. It doesn't mean that they're paranoid.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans aren't complaining. Outside of this place, nobody is upset that she isn't making enough headlines with her private life.

where did you get this information?

Like Emma, I'm also a very private person by nature. I genuinely don't like talking about myself.

Which is fine when you're not a famous actor (whose job description contains the word audience)

Are you saying there's evidence that people are upset?

I'm not going to automatically assume they are, just because of my own unmet expectations.

If people are upset, I certainly haven't noticed. Until then, I'm going to assume they aren't.

Which is fine when you're not a famous actor (whose job description contains the word audience)

All an actor has to do is act. Everything else is optional.

Are you saying there's evidence that people are upset?

I'm not going to automatically assume they are, just because of my own unmet expectations.

If people are upset, I certainly haven't noticed. Until then, I'm going to assume they aren't.

I think it's more likely that people want to know things about their idols rather than not knowing. I also think people are more likely to be fans of people they like on a personal level. You can disagree with that, but that alone won't sway my mind.

All an actor has to do is act. Everything else is optional.

So you disagree that the audience is a vital component of that which makes an actor?

"I'm an actor. I have acted in front of the mirror many times." Sounds ok to you?

I think it's more likely that people want to know things about their idols rather than not knowing. I also think people are more likely to be fans of people they like on a personal level. You can disagree with that, but that alone won't sway my mind.

People like to know more information about their idols. They also can be bigger fans of them if they know that information.

That doesn't mean you should assume they are upset if that isn't what is happening.

A lack of information is not going to elicit the opposite response of an abundance of information.

People aren't getting that abundance, and they just don't care.

So you disagree that the audience is a vital component of that which makes an actor?

"I'm an actor. I have acted in front of the mirror many times." Sounds ok to you?

The movie's audience is vital to an actor. 

Either the audience likes that actor in the movie, or they don't.

Everything outside the movie is in no way vital to an actor's career.

The audience of her personal life doesn't dictate her success as an actor.

The movie's audience is vital to an actor.

Very true-beyond true.

Again very true!!!!

I kind of disagree a bit, just a bit on this...I will watch actors/actresses I enjoy but also respect. For example, I completely do not respect Lindsay Lohan and will therefore not support her movies (albeit have been non-existent).

It is Emma the actress we want to see-I adored her as Hermione and want to see what other roles she has inside her. So far we have seen Sam, Lucy, and Nikki-(well not yet but soon!!!! :)). The fans that will watch Emma are of course Hermione fans....but I believe as time passes, she will continue to have a growing fan base. But yeah I dont care what Emma shares or doesnt share in her personal life. I will read what she shares but I will also respect her privacy for things she chooses not share. I really don't care to know everything about Emma's life-that is for her friends/family only.

I kind of disagree a bit, just a bit on this...I will watch actors/actresses I enjoy but also respect. For example, I completely do not respect Lindsay Lohan and will therefore not support her movies (albeit have been non-existent).

Yes, people form opinions of actors and sometimes those opinions affect the success of the movies they star in.

My point is, that opinion does not need to exist for an actor to succeed.

An audience could have a neutral opinion of the actor themselves, and still love the movie and their performance in it.

The actor doesn't need the audience to like them beforehand. They don't even need to know anything about them. 

Everything they need to know will be told to them in the movie.

Nothing outside of it needs to matter to them. It could matter to them, but it does not have to matter.

This I completely agree with you on...I disrespect the choices Robert Downey Jr has made-has had a history of drug abuse and arrests but yet he makes MILLIONS and people love him in his performances. So yeah you are right.

Sadly, I dont believe even he can help Lohan...this girl I feel is beyond help. As for Robert Downey Jr, you are correct about his turning his life around. Where I dont really like (it's not his fault because Hollywood allowed him getting work) is how he was still making millions even after all the drug use and prison time. I suppose though the prime example of popularity despite his morals is that low life Charlie Sheen. I wouldnt even pay $1.00 to see him in a movie. Anyway sorry for OT.

People like to know more information about their idols. They also can be bigger fans of them if they know that information.

That doesn't mean you should assume they are upset if that isn't what is happening.

A lack of information is not going to elicit the opposite response of an abundance of information.

You're splitting hairs now. Am I upset? Welp, I can just about contain myself. But I would certainly appreciate more info from Emma.

People aren't getting that abundance, and they just don't care.

Again, I have to ask how you know that.

The movie's audience is vital to an actor. 

Considering that being accepted/ coveted by the audience raises your status and employment opportunities as an actor, I'd say this isn't true.

You can embrace your fan base, or you can choose to mostly ignore them.Strictly speaking, you don't have to care about your patients to be a doctor.

As I said, Emma seems to feel that publicity starts and ends with reporters and paparazzi, when it's really her fans who want to communicate with her.

Yes, being liked by your public audience is good. Embracing your fan base and communicating with the them as much as possible can definitely help your career.

I'm just saying that all that stuff is superfluous. It's not what she needs to be focusing on to become a successful actor.

There's a difference between what an actor chooses to do in order to become successful, and what an actor needs to do.

Publicity is a part of what an actor needs to do. It just come with the territory.

That's separate from her communicating with her fans. She doesn't have to do that, but she does anyway through Twitter.

You may think that isn't enough, but she is obviously communicating with them without any media filter.

She calls the shots on what is communicated through Twitter. 

If people weren't happy or were put off by that amount of communication, she wouldn't have amassed a following of 8 Million and growing.

The fact that she doesn't have to communicate with them is very important here.

If this were an integral part of being an actor, then I would agree with you, she needs to maximize that.

But it isn't integral. It's a choice.

That means that any amount of communication is going to be acceptable, because she doesn't need to be communicating with them in the first place.

Yes, being liked by your public audience is good. Embracing your fan base and communicating with the them as much as possible can definitely help your career.

I'm just saying that all that stuff is superfluous. It's not what she needs to be focusing on to become a successful actor.

That depends. Both on what your definition of "succesful" is here, and also depending on the milieu. This may be true for people who exclusively do theater, I wouldn't know. But to stay on the level of fame she has accumulated now in the movie business, she can't just do away with her image and keep on being so succesful at the same time. The nature of the image may change, but you certainly don't want to establish yourself as being completely unsympathetic/ dull.

Publicity is a part of what an actor needs to do. It just come with the territory.

That's separate from her communicating with her fans. She doesn't have to do that, but she does anyway through Twitter.

You're trying to seperate two things that can't be separated in reality. You basically say "an actor has to have an audience, but he doesn't have to do anything to accumulate said audience". The logical error seems obvious. It's much easier to make people cough up the money to watch your movie if they feel there is a bond, however small, between you and them.

You may think that isn't enough, but she is obviously communicating with them without any media filter.

She calls the shots on what is communicated through Twitter. 

If people weren't happy or were put off by that amount of communication, she wouldn't have amassed a following of 8 Million and growing.

Eh, doesn't follow. I'm unhappy with the amount of information we get from her and yet I follow her on twitter, for the very reason that she may drop some interesting info every now and then.

I'd take your statement and reverse it; outside of the realm of e-w.net, no one has a problem of seeing why more information would be welcomed by her fans. It's really not baffling.

But to stay on the level of fame she has accumulated now in the movie business, she can't just do away with her image and keep on being so succesful at the same time. The nature of the image may change, but you certainly don't want to establish yourself as being completely unsympathetic/ dull.

She doesn't need to maintain her level of fame, and I don't think she is trying to. If she was, she would be doing a lot more projects than she is now.

I don't measure her success as an actress with the level of fame she has.

Her success as an actress is tied to her performances in her movies, not to the loyalty of her fanbase. They don't get to control that.

If in the future she stars in critically acclaimed movies, it doesn't matter if she has a loyal fanbase or not, she will be successful in every way that counts.

Fame and success aren't the same thing. You can be successful in movies without maintaining superstar fame.

She doesn't need to maintain her level of fame, and I don't think she is trying to. If she was, she would be doing a lot more projects than she is now.

I think she quite likes being hailed as a sort of leading lady at Cannes for example. If she wanted to tone down the level of publicity she gets she probably would have done only theater.

I don't measure her success as an actress with the level of fame she has.

In the case of movies, this seems strange. How many very succesful actors whose name no one has heard do you know?

If in the future she stars in critically acclaimed movies, it doesn't matter if she has a loyal fanbase or not, she will be successful in every way that counts.

Again, going down rather than up would seem pretty painful. Is she really interested in only doing artsy projects for the sake of art, even if no one but a handful of critics ever praises/ watches them?

Emma may be an introvert in her daily life, but she rode the rollercoaster of fame quite enthusiastically during her HP years. She never seemed to shy away from publicity - let's remember the video messages she used to do (such a brief but nice way to reach out to your fans too!). And then there were the other side effects of fame like her fashion collaboration, and the opportunity to use that fame to do something good (i.e. in Bangladesh). If Emma is more introverted right now I would blame it on her current situation, in which she doesn't want to give away too much - for what reasons, we can only guess.

In the case of movies, this seems strange. How many very succesful actors whose name no one has heard do you know?

The highest caliber of actors in the industry aren't the most famous one's.

You seem to base an actor's success on box office and general notoriety. I don't think Emma defines it the same way.

Is she really interested in only doing artsy projects for the sake of art, even if no one but a handful of critics ever praises/ watches them?

All of her projects are art for the sake of art.

She doesn't judge her success based on how much money her projects make or how many people see them. Artistic value doesn't necessarily translate into commercial success.

Emma may be an introvert in her daily life, but she rode the rollercoaster of fame quite enthusiastically during her HP years. She never seemed to shy away from publicity - let's remember the video messages she used to do (such a brief but nice way to reach out to your fans too!). And then there were the other side effects of fame like her fashion collaboration, and the opportunity to use that fame to do something good (i.e. in Bangladesh). If Emma is more introverted right now I would blame it on her current situation, in which she doesn't want to give away too much - for what reasons, we can only guess.

She was also a child. Since then, she's grown up into an adult who gets to make their own decisions about their life.

She did those side projects because she was exploring new things. 

She then decided that she wanted to focus on acting instead and not continue those projects. 

That's the entire reason why she stopped all that. Acting is her main focus and she doesn't want to focus on anything else.

It has nothing to do with her personality, she's just not interested in pursuing that anymore.

The highest caliber of actors in the industry aren't the most famous one's.

You seem to base an actor's success on box office and general notoriety. I don't think Emma defines it the same way.

I've never said there's a direct correlation, much less the other way round (= fame generating critical acclaim). What I meant is that it's very unlikely for an movie actor to stay unknown despite being a favorite with critics.

All of her projects are art for the sake of art.

AFAIK this has never been stated by Emma. Let's just take Perks and Bling Ring as an example, in both cases Emma has said that their social relevance was something that draw her to these projects.

She

was also a child. Since then, she's grown up into an adult who gets to make their own decisions about their life.

She wasn't (legally and otherwise) a child on her 18th birthday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW25dyAEFIc

She doesn't judge her success based on how much money her projects make or how many people see them. Artistic value doesn't necessarily translate into commercial success.

[...]

That's the entire reason why she stopped all that. Acting is her main focus and she doesn't want to focus on anything else.

It has nothing to do with her personality, she's just not interested in pursuing that anymore.

You're taking her current behavior and interpret it in ways you can agree with, it seems. I don't find it convincing to theorize that the lack of information coming from her is directly the result of Emma trying to turn her life around. To me, it seems to be mostly the result of insecurity, along with a bit of cluelessness about who she wants to be and also a dose of rebellion, of which she had none when she was in HP. Edited by Sacred_Path

Interesting discussion...... Well, I still think, she needs a helping hand with her PR and her self-presentation. Fans are not important for her; calling her tweets "communication" is a joke, because these tweets are irrelevant and uninteresting ("Bling Ring out in USA" - whow, what a message). Communication is interaction, and besides of some tweets she favourises (mostly "I love you Emma, you are my rolemodel", written by girls) there is NOTHING. She killed her own homepage and fan-pages giving up because there is nothing really relevant to report.....

Emma is at the moment only a nice face on some pictures from the red carpet and on production stills from movies, she is acting in as supporting actress.

But maybe she realises that she is not top on the market. Compared to other young femal actresses (like Saoirse Ronan, for example) she is.... well, a famous child star, struggeling to get a adult career?

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Interesting discussion...... Well, I still think, she needs a helping hand with her PR and her self-presentation. Fans are not important for her; calling her tweets "communication" is a joke, because these tweets are irrelevant and uninteresting ("Bling Ring out in USA" - whow, what a message). Communication is interaction, and besides of some tweets she favourises (mostly "I love you Emma, you are my rolemodel", written by girls) there is NOTHING. She killed her own homepage and fan-pages giving up because there is nothing really relevant to report.....

Emma is at the moment only a nice face on some pictures from the red carpet and on production stills from movies, she is acting in as supporting actress.

But maybe she realises that she is not top on the market. Compared to other young femal actresses (like Saoirse Ronan, for example) she is.... well, a famous child star, struggeling to get a adult career?

sci-fi

Quit attacking Adebisi please. You have more than deserved your fair comments back at you.

Again what I dont think some remember/tend to forget-the trio (I will say trio because both Rupert and Dan are in the same situation as Emma) can pick whatever they want, not have to worry about publicity-they can retire 15 times over and are all under 25. They can pick and choose and never have to worry about money again. For the trio it's about doing stuff because they are passionate about acting. Their names will never be forgotten-not with HP movies lasting forever. People who love them will continue to support them in their future roles. I will always support Emma and Rupert in their roles and some for Dan too. As for again sharing their lives, like Emma who some here insist she does that-called invasion of privacy. This is why Emma controls her twitter-she can share what she wants. Honestly if Emma decided to share her private life, this takes away something that is important to Emma. As her fans we should respect her right to not share.

Quit attacking Adebisi please.

Oh how sweet .... The little Adebisi is protected by Mrs. teacher against the evil, evil Jonny.... The decline of the Occident really has many faces .....

such amount of shit cant be normal, surely he forgot his pills

And this is indeed the style, I expect to read in a forum about Emma Watson.

we have to hear your foolishness everyday AGAINST Emma in a forum ABOUT Emma Watson, so I could say the same

Im sure there are webs against her so I dont know why you are still here, yo can create your own page,  the title could be: www.IhateEverythingEmmaWatsonDoesButILoveHerBody.com  (everyone here know that reading your posts)

I honestly have to question as well why is that person here other than to make nasty comments about Emma or CONSTANTLY criticize her....anyway somehow this topic went away from Emma to star in Bling Ring so back OT...

TOMORROW it opens NATIONWIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) The movie has made about a quarter of a million which is not too shabby for a movie that was open to only 5 theaters!!!

Emma has gotten strong reviews of her performance...even though Nicki is not the ring leader of the group, it seems that Nicki eventually would have taken over their little group. She seems to be the more bad ass of the group.

I cant wait to see how Katie Chang takes on the lead role with Israel Broussard!