The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has your life been changed by this in terms of guarding your privacy and being careful, like you remove your Facebook page or you have never been on Facebook? How protective are you of your privacy?

I think it always really freaked me out, that aspect of what I do. It did make me quite nervous and I was afraid of it, definitely. And as a result, it meant that I am really careful about my privacy, and just about trying to live as anonymously as I can, and for people not to become interested or for me to talk about things I am not comfortable with other people talking about me.

Yeah but doesn’t it take a toll on your life, your personality, your character? Because you have to keep certain rules, not to do certain things, not to go certain places, not to be seen…

It makes it difficult to be spontaneous because I am constantly thinking through every step. Am I going to be okay in this environment, can I say this without it being interpreted like this? Can I do this without this happening? It requires some thinking to navigate it. But that’s okay, it’s manageable. I found a way to manage it.

How?

It’s all been very recent really and I’m still figuring it out, and I wouldn’t say I have it totally sorted by any means; I make mistakes all the time. But I try and make sure that the focus is on my work. I’ve really calmed down the fashion side of things that I was doing. I never go to any kind of public event really, unless it’s absolutely solely related to my work. I try and live in places that are quiet and I don’t go anywhere trendy really, (laughs) anywhere cool or hip or anything like that and I am like no.

So how do you spend your time then?

These places exist, but you find places where people aren’t interested in you.

What kind of places do you mean then?

No, I can’t really, what kind of places? I choose to live in a neighborhood that hasn’t got lots of young cool, trendy, hip people, who are interested in the Entertainment industry. I live in places that have people who don’t read OK Magazine.

But do you see these people coming? Do you recognize the type of people that want to meet you because you are famous?

Yeah. I have got pretty good radar for that now, yeah. It’s usually people who announce themselves as, ‘I’m not interested in you because of your fame.’

School is very important to you and you are going back to school now. Why is that? Why do you feel the need to study English literature?

Because I think it gives me a normal life. It gives me an environment that I can be in where no one is, especially someone that’s really academically serious. They are focused on their thing, they don’t care about me. They are focused on trying to get their first degree in whatever, so that they can go and be a lawyer or they can do whatever that they are passionate about. And it’s a leveller, an equalizer, everyone in that room. The only thing anyone is interested in, is whether you know the answer or not. And obviously it’s not perfect. But mostly, it’s kind of have my own life, that I don’t just live the lives of other people and in this crazy existence. I have a space where I can go to where I am just Emma. I am just doing my thing, and I need that to be sane. I can’t not have that. It’s absolutely necessary.

Do you have time to attend classes at University?

Yeah, I just finished a semester, that’s what I did for this year. I haven’t made a film yet this year.

Notice she said "yet". So that might mean there's a possibility of another project on the horizon.

So hopefully this will get some people off Emma's back about revealing her privacy and things about her life. She just answered it here-she doesn't want to give away things about her life. Thanks for sharing Roberto. I doubt she will be doing any filming this year-she has I believe one more semester left which she will be focusing on to complete-she goes back in August as all colleges will return then.

and for people not to become interested

well that's uhm... ridiculous. She said before that she has accepted the fact that public recognition comes with her work. That's right.

If she was entirely honest, it would seem she has made a really bad carreer choice. It's like saying I love being a CEO but I actually hate responsibility.

Luckily, I don't think she's entirely truthful. No one who values anonimity above all else would have attended an event like the launch of HP8 on Trafalgar Square.

This is not to say that I don't feel badly for her. If it's really stressful for her to be in the public eye, I am sorry. But I also think she really should change her rhetoric, from "I can't stand getting attention" to "getting attention isn't the top reason why I'm in this business".

When she talks about her privacy, she isn't talking about movie premieres or work stuff. That stuff is a part of being an actress.

She's talking about when she isn't working. When she's just hanging out somewhere or travelling abroad.

That's when she wants to be anonymous. That's why she avoids crowded places.

Her privacy as a movie star is not the same as her privacy as a human being.

This isn't about her career. It's about her life.

When she talks about her privacy, she isn't talking about movie premieres or work stuff. That stuff is a part of being an actress.

Yes. Just like the interaction with fans is.

She's talking about when she isn't working. When she's just hanging out somewhere or travelling abroad.

That's when she wants to be anonymous. That's why she avoids crowded places.

Her privacy as a movie star is not the same as her privacy as a human being.

This isn't about her career. It's about her life.

It should be obvious where the problem with "I want to have my face on movie screens across the globe but I don't want people to be interested in what's behind that face" lies. But then I'm saying this for about the 100th time, so maybe it isn't.

What Emma means but doesn't verbally say is "I don't want any uncontrolled intrusion into my privacy".

Which is ok Emma, no one likes that, whether they're in the movie business or not. Maybe at some point in the future she'll realize that there's a way to hold onto your basic dignity without alienating your well-intentioned fans. One part of that solution is to give insightful interviews. You don't get more stalkers because you gave some meaningful answers in an interview. You don't get more face recognition. You don't get swarmed in the streets because you had a conversation like an adult with a reporter from the NY Times. These things aren't connected, but she may not realize this right now. Right now she just wants to keep her head down, but that's not a satisfactory way of dealing with publicity in the long run.

pulling numbers out of your butt is counterproductive to discussion

but if you're really serious that people don't want any information about their favourite movie stars I fear I won't be able to change your mind

thanks for posting her interview, Roberto. it was nice of Emma to voice some of her thoughts on privacy and separation of public/private lives, but in my book, she does not have to defend or rationallize her actions or words or lack thereof, because i accept whatever she does, as i am quite a fan of her talents and work, and i much prefer that her private offscreen life remain hers. if she wants to go to school, or shoot a movie, or do fashion-related stuff, or even nothing at all, that is fine by me. i'll stand by her and wait for her next film role...

love you, Emma.:wub:

Remember Dook said no getting all nasty...Roberto was just stating a comment...the bottom line is this what I get from that interview... Emma doesnt want to be bothered...she wants/likes her privacy. No matter how many times people complain about her not sharing her life, it won't matter. Emma will not change, which I for one applaud! There are too many whackadoos (ie. Bling Ring teens) out there in today's world. Celebrities need to be on guard and will therefore not share every ounce of their lives. I admire and support Emma in wanting to guard her privacy. I wont stop watching Emma in her movies because she won't share her personal thoughts or her life with me.

but in my book, she does not have to defend or rationallize her actions or words or lack thereof.

APPLAUSE Emma_Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Edited by cbmac12

Remember Dook said no getting all nasty...Roberto was just stating a comment...the bottom line is this what I get from that interview... Emma doesnt want to be bothered...she wants/likes her privacy. No matter how many times people complain about her not sharing her life, it won't matter. Emma will not change, which I for one applaud! There are too many whackadoos (ie. Bling Ring teens) out there in today's world. Celebrities need to be on guard and will therefore not share every ounce of their lives. I admire and support Emma in wanting to guard her privacy. I wont stop watching Emma in her movies because she won't share her personal thoughts or her life with me.

but in my book, she does not have to defend or rationallize her actions or words or lack thereof.

APPLAUSE Emma_Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

thanks for posting her interview, Roberto. it was nice of Emma to voice some of her thoughts on privacy and separation of public/private lives, but in my book, she does not have to defend or rationallize her actions or words or lack thereof, because i accept whatever she does, as i am quite a fan of her talents and work, and i much prefer that her private offscreen life remain hers. if she wants to go to school, or shoot a movie, or do fashion-related stuff, or even nothing at all, that is fine by me. i'll stand by her and wait for her next film role...

love you, Emma. :wub:

She was at a wedding in Vegas this weekend.

Hey, you are reporting private facts. It is not our business that she is in Vegas for a private function.

So, why do you know about it - you said repeatedly that you are not interested in her private life.

:rolleye0012:

Hey, you are reporting private facts. It is not our business that she is in Vegas for a private function.

So, why do you know about it - you said repeatedly that you are not interested in her private life.

:rolleye0012:

Fans are arbitrary/ irrational by nature, no need to be surprised. "I think she's an amazing person but I don't want any personal info about her!"

Fans are arbitrary/ irrational by nature, no need to be surprised. "I think she's an amazing person but I don't want any personal info about her!"

I have my own problems. I don't give a shit what shes doing right now. what I know about her is what  I want to know.

the day I wanna know how many times she cross the road or how many she takes a plane or where she is, or searching 15 webs for a stupid photo at the airport, that day im gonna be a f*ing fool

now you two, continue criticize her, the best part of all this, is that she never gonna do what you want  :happydance:  :ohyeah:  :happydance:

sarcastic answer or disrespectful coment about my country in 3, 2, 1 ...